PDA

View Full Version : loud pipe

vanet
05-05-2007, 01:31 AM
Is there a quiter performance pipe for a 200x. I have an 85 with a DG exhuast and this thng is just too loud.

Dammit!
05-05-2007, 01:38 AM
Supertrapp if you can find one. They are tuneable (fewer disks = less loud and more emphasis on torque).

Billy Golightly
05-05-2007, 08:42 AM
Thumbs up for being concerned about noise! Big problem now a days and most people will not do anything to try and correct it.

Jason Hall
05-05-2007, 09:07 AM
If you buy a super trapp spark arrestor / defuser disc set. You can hush up your DG pipe. The last one I had I bought a super trapp disc set from Dennis Kirk, then drilled & tapped holes to cap off the DG. I used the 3" set, but had to contact Super Trapp about the end cap that didn't come In the disc set from DK. The guy at super Trapp sent It no charge Had It In a couple days, I was amazed.

mymint87
05-05-2007, 09:42 AM
KASEY once told me aftermarket pipes are just "Noise makers" with really no other noticable difference, and after sitting and watching him day after day "PUNK" piped quads with his stocker, his point became VERY RELEVANT to me....

Jason Hall
05-05-2007, 10:03 AM
mymint87, I believe that. I talked to a guy with a nice running 450r. He said he paid 400.00 for noise. He said he noticed no performance gain & had to re jet. In other cases though stock pipes are very restricted. I'm happy with my stock honda pipe on my 450r/350x. The 06-07 trx exhaust has a removable baffle. It makes It a little loud, but not crazy.

chris200x
05-05-2007, 10:09 AM
I believe the trick is to also adding more air into your motor by adding a K&N airfilter or using an open airbox then going up a few sizes on the jets. I noticed a considerible diffrence after doing this.

mymint87
05-05-2007, 10:18 AM
I noticed a considerible diffrence after doing this.

Sure it wasn't just in your Imagination?? ...You probably just HEARD the difference...:postwhore

GET 2 EAR PLUGS and stick em in your DOME:welcome: ......then get 2 vehicles, same make, model, 1 piped, 1 stock...ride them both hopping from one to the other, thats the ONLY WAY you will feel the difference if any...

chris200x
05-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Nope.. not my imagination. DEFIINTLY noticable gains on the bottom end. This is running a supertrapp with 6 disks, K&N and rejetted carb. I don't really get to open it up too much where I ride but there isn't much diffrence in top speed. :welcome:

vanet
05-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I have the UNI filter and the pipe definatly helps with power a least at the lower end but I really dont like it being that noisey. I would even give up some power just to reduce the noise level. Where can I get a super trapp silencer that will fit the 200x. While Im at it where can I get an electric start kit for the 200x. i guess Im getting old first the bike is too loud and now I dont want to kick it till my leg falls off. Go figure.

KASEY
05-05-2007, 07:49 PM
I THING YOU HEAR MORE NOISE AND EXPECT IT TO GO FASTER,,,
i have an 04 yfz completely stock,,,, i have jetted it cause they run real lean from the factory to pass emissions... and removed the stock air box lid,, i have beat more than 50% of the modded piped hrc kitted and so on 450's i have run up the hills ,,, i always get ,,NO WAY IS THAT STOCK ,, all the time,,, them i show them the paint marks on the bolts from the factory,, its stock,,, i think alot has to do with the fact most people don't know how to TUNE an engine,,, the dealer puts the pipe on and throws a jet in and away they go, making more noise and thinking they are faster,,, NOT!!!!

RedRider_AK
05-05-2007, 07:56 PM
Тhis reminds me of one of my friends, he bought an FMF Shorty silencer and put it on his stock Blaster and said it made him go faster.

vanet
05-05-2007, 08:13 PM
There is no doubt that alot of people dont set up an engine properally but there is also no doubt that an engine that breaths better and gets the right ampunt of gas to it makes more HP. Bikes trikes cars doesnt matter it is physics. What alot of people dont take into account is that the factory often spend alot of money and time to figure out the right set-up. So just going out and bolting on whatever you can get that fits will not always give an improvement. On the trikes that we drive the technoligy has come a long way and there are definatly improvements to be had over the stock exhaust. So does anybody know where to get a super trapp and electric start kit for 200x?

chris200x
05-05-2007, 08:18 PM
Haha... YES physics.. OR common sense. :lol: couldn't have said it any better myself. :)

Try here:

http://www.spinreel.com/goki-atv.html

http://www.supertrapp.com/

torker
05-06-2007, 09:34 AM
It all depends on the machine, my DS650 got 5.3 H.P; dynoed not seat of the pants. But reality is that a lot of newer stock exhausts are pretty good and just taking the baffles out will gain you a few horses.
Tunning guys is what makes a machine go well and reliably. This is also true for speed.

TORKER.

KASEY
05-06-2007, 11:33 AM
good and just taking the baffles out will gain you a few horses.

i do not believe this for a second,, so if you had your quad on the dyno ,, lets get an intellegent answer,, you say taking the baffle gains you a few horses,, that means your high dollar exhaust system is only good for 2hp???? over a baffeless system??? what were the numbers stock verses piped and when you say a few then your guessing? did you run it without the baffle? do you have those numbers?

sorry to hi-jack the thread i hate misinformation and guessing.......

vanet
05-07-2007, 12:45 AM
removing baffles are only going to net HP if the intake will support more air flow and the carb will deliver more gas. Removing baffles may actually hurt HP some back pressure is often needed for optimum HP.

Rustytinhorn
05-07-2007, 01:14 AM
My 2 cents.
On my 200, I ran it up a hill with the stock exhaust. Then I completely took all the exhaust off except the header and climbed the same hill again. Despite the noise differences and "imaginative" more power, my 200 did have the slighest amount of more power to it. I credit this to the backpressure being reduced and the engine being able to breath a little easier.

pickleweasel_00
05-07-2007, 01:22 AM
I'll get in on this one :naughty: I have a ytm200 that i mainly ride out in our fields and it seemd sluggish, not revving through the gears like it should. I put on a DG exhaust and it seemed to open it up and it has more acceleration (maybe only slightly), but it does not seem to bog in the higher gears as it did before. Maybe my stock exhaust was just crappy? or plugged? but a good tune should always be the first order to make sure you have the maximum out of your current combo. and make changes one at a time so you can see if your upgrades are really working or not

350xBomb
05-07-2007, 09:53 AM
Despite what ever gains you get, very few mods are worth the money in terms of HP gain. Best thing I did on my X was drop a tooth on the front sprocket....made it peppy as hell (I realize this has nothing to do with HP). I got a buddy who is dumping money into a z400 tryin to make is faster than a raptor 700...should have just bought a faster bike...but every time he puts something new on (most recent was a pipe) he asks,"so do you think ill be faster than tyler now?" Hell, Im still faster on my 21 year old R....tuning...make the engine as efficient as possible, no as expensive as possible.

pickleweasel_00
05-08-2007, 12:09 AM
all the power is no good if you can't get it properly to the ground. I.E. : like 350xBomb and changing sprockets, like changing gear ratios in your car. One of the best mods (and most effective) that alot of people overlook