PDA

View Full Version : My First 3 Wheeler

pdc1
05-04-2007, 03:40 PM
Just picked up a 1983 Yamaha 225 DX in near pristine condition with very few hours on it. I wanted to get opinions on this beast. It hasn't run in a # of years but was garaged. The one problem it has is the throttle sleeve/slide is frozen in the carb. How can I free this or considering the condition of the Trike, should I spend the $175 and get a new carb.

Greetings to all, my first day at this forum.

hondaracer11
05-04-2007, 03:42 PM
spray it with lots of carb cleaner and let it sit then try if that doesnt work get some pb blaster. you if that dont work look on ebay

ATC-Eric
05-04-2007, 04:34 PM
Welcome, and congrats on the machine.

With the carb, I suggest you pull it and give it a good cleaning. Take it all apart, (and perhapes get a carb kit) and rebuild it. Lots of carb cleaner, and compressed air will get the job done.

SYKO
05-04-2007, 07:41 PM
hola gringo!! glad you found us, there are plenty of yami freaks out here to help ya!

cowmilker
05-05-2007, 12:35 AM
When I got mine it was the same thing (stuck slide). Take the carb off the bike and you can put a screwdriver in the opening of the carb and pry it loose, but be careful not to damage the slide (I crushed the edge of my slide, and had to dremel the crushed part back down). Everybody says that compressed air, and carb spray will do the trick, but I have found that for the jets, it works better to poke the gum out with a needle (ya, I steal one of my wifes sewing needles) a sewing needle, is needed, NOT a sewing pin (pins are too big). Then you can finish the job with carb spray, and in my opinion blowing it off with compressed air is not needed (unless you are using brake cleaner or something).

ATC-Eric
05-05-2007, 12:43 AM
When I got mine it was the same thing (stuck slide). Take the carb off the bike and you can put a screwdriver in the opening of the carb and pry it loose, but be careful not to damage the slide (I crushed the edge of my slide, and had to dremel the crushed part back down). Everybody says that compressed air, and carb spray will do the trick, but I have found that for the jets, it works better to poke the gum out with a needle (ya, I steal one of my wifes sewing needles) a sewing needle, is needed, NOT a sewing pin (pins are too big). Then you can finish the job with carb spray, and in my opinion blowing it off with compressed air is not needed (unless you are using brake cleaner or something).

Good call on the needle. You need a little bit of ..... "persuasion" to get the job done.

Cert88
05-05-2007, 10:15 AM
The 225dx was my first 3wheeler too. They are nice especially for your first one. Not much maintenance is needed. Easy 3wheeler to ride since it doesnt have a clutch, just speed shifting. I topped mine out at 43mph with just a DG pipe on. I was in need of a rebuild than. Low compression. So yours will go probably around 45. They dont take jumps or heavy riders too well. If your over 200lbs and you hit some bumps the back fenders hit the tires. That is if you have larger back tires. Back shock has very little travel. Overall nice 3wheeler though.. Good Luck

pdc1
05-07-2007, 08:22 AM
Thanks for the responses. I tried prying the slide and ended up ruining it. I opted to bite the bullet and order a new carb for $173. The new slide was $60:eek: + the price of the rebuild kit I'd be over $100 anyway. I figure I paid $300 for the trike (which is in very nice shape) I'll still be at about $500 for a ride that should have lots of good riding in it. And maybe with a new carb it will run as new.

hondaatcvabeach
05-07-2007, 08:26 AM
I would have checked ebay or posted in the classified in here. But you cant go wrong with something new...What part of Virginia are you in?

pdc1
05-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Yeah nothing on Ebay. In the future I'll check here for parts. I'm near Staunton Va. west of Charlottesville.

How does the YTM 225 measure up in the world of trikes on a scale of 1 - 10?

hondaatcvabeach
05-07-2007, 07:51 PM
Don't ask me I am a Honda guy!!

Bigred200
05-07-2007, 09:05 PM
pics pics pics

pdc1
05-10-2007, 11:16 AM
Well I put the new carb on last night, hit the starter, it turned about 1 1/2 revolutions and started right up and ran at a solid idle. Took it for a blast around the property and came back to find gas running out the overflow. Took the carb back off, adjusted the float to shut the gas off a little sooner, problem solved. I guess NEW still needs tweeking. This thing runs like a champ. It's an animal. Definitely a different feel riding a 3 wheeler (this is my first). I'm a little concerned turning my 10 year old son loose on this thing. I'm not sure he has enough weight to lean and keep it from rolling.

DoorNail
05-11-2007, 09:41 AM
I`ve been riding my uncles 84 225dx(black) and I`ve never had so much fun,the four wheelers that ride with me cannot keep up going up hills :TrikesOwn ,pretty tricky down hills on an angle tho,have tipped it a few times,nothing worse than a slow motion roll over :( ,that`s about the only thing the fours have an advantage on and they get a good laugh out of it,thing runs like a top,starts on first pull I can almost keep up with a 350 warrior leaving everybody else I ride with in the dust