PDA

View Full Version : Getting 350x (NOT) what about tecate

vanet
05-04-2007, 12:19 PM
I own a 200s and 250sx I am looking at picking up a 350x this weekend anybody got any feedback on the 350x how fast is it compared to the other two? Any particular weaknesses to look out for? Or any other comments would be appreciated. Thanks

IrvSLedman
05-04-2007, 12:23 PM
great! lol thats one machine you will be happy with. ITs much faster both those other two.. the weak points.. the frame likes to crack on them by the footpeg if you beat on.. Mine hasnt yet, and i ride it pretty hard. but that and have been told that they are the easiest to tip of all trikes, like the way they are set up..? i dont know about that though, i havnt tiped mine once.. either way though you will enjoy this machine.

ATC-Eric
05-04-2007, 01:30 PM
The 350x is an all around great machine! If you like the 250sx, you will absolutely love the 350, minus reverse of course.

The 350 is a torque monster. It performs great in the trails, or in the open. I can pop wheelies in any gear on mine.

As far as weaknesses, to my knowledge its a well built machine. I hanent run into any issues, but I havent owned mine to long. And with the tiping point that was made earlier, just make sure you dont ride the stock rear tires. There is to much play in them.

Whats the condition of the machine your looking at? Whats the price?

Good luck, and post some pics when you get it.

vanet
05-04-2007, 01:43 PM
The machine is like showroom new. It even has original tires. The gal Im getting from husband died 18 years ago and it has been sitting in the garage since then. She decided it was time to get rid of it and took it to a shop to have it cleaned up and looked over. I happen to be there getting new tires for my 200s when she came to get it and the rest is history. We decided 1500 for the price. Based on the condition AND THE PRICES IM SEEING ON E-BAY THAT SEEMS FAIR TO ME. aS FAR AS TIRES WHAT WOULD YOU SUGGEST. (sorry about caps, me and my big fingers.)

Honda Junkie
05-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Just stay away from baloon style tires. You want a tire thats flat on top like razr's,holeshots,turf tamers, something like that . They will make the bike more stable.

ATC-Eric
05-04-2007, 03:13 PM
Right on, sounds like a smokin deal. That sucks about the womans husband though.

I got some Holeshot GNCC's for my X. I like them a lot! Just about any Holeshot will treat you right though...............

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k300/ericbsemail/P3110018.jpg

Rocky Mountain is a pretty good place to pick up some decently priced tires.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/typeDetail.do?navType=type&priceRange=allPrices&page=2&webTypeId=138&navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&vehicleType=&pageLinkUri=&brandId=allBrands

Good luck.

brrcuda
05-04-2007, 03:57 PM
You will quickly forget about the 250sx and 200. The 350x is the ultimate trail bike. They love to wheelie though, so you will have to get used to that, especially when climbing hills and rocks. They are little heavy also, but thats compared to a tri-z.

1500 is what i paid and feel that is the going rate for above average condition/running bike. If its showroom, you are way ahead of the game.

vanet
05-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Well didnt get the 350x gal got a better offer and sold it out from under me. There is a pretty nice Tecate for sale locally. I have been warned so often about the problems and unreliability of the tecate it seems there must be something to it. Any tecate experts want to shed some light on why they are known to be so unreliable. Or am i mistaken?

ATC-Eric
05-07-2007, 01:24 AM
Im sorry to hear you didnt get it! For the price your ready to spend, you can get yourself a nice bike.

Im no Tecate expert, buy I know a couple of people will chime in hear shortly to give you the scoop.

Rex Karz
05-07-2007, 03:43 AM
The Tecate and the 350X are two worlds apart. The X is an all-around performer. And Honda reliable. The Tecate is a Race Trike, plain and simple.

350xBomb
05-07-2007, 09:12 AM
What year tecate...Ive heard that the worst thing about those is parts, finding them and affording them.

BigGreenMachine
05-07-2007, 11:53 AM
The Tecate and the 350X are two worlds apart. The X is an all-around performer. And Honda reliable. The Tecate is a Race Trike, plain and simple.

The Tecate is whatever you make it. I've never raced mine and have it setup to trail ride.

Its a great trail machine, goes where ever you point it. I'd run some 22 inch turf tamers if it were only going to be trail ridden and use stock gearing.

They do great in the mud since they are so light.

Power is incredible, scary at first with the wheel coming off the ground when you get into the throttle. Its great for trail riding because you can loft the front wheel over obstacles with a blip of the throttle. You'll get use to the power quickly and look for more like we all do. Don't need it but want it kinda deal.

You'll have to look out for the flywheel coming apart. Best bet is to buy a Rickey Stator flywheel with the magnet pressed in instead of glued on like stock. Also go over ALL the nuts/bolts with blue loctite because they do vibrate since there is no counter balancer in the motor.

If the Tecate your looking at is an 84/85 you will likely only pay a grand but if its the 86/87 then you will probably be paying more.

I love my 85, its built the way I want and runs STRONG!!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/behindmyhouse2.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/th_MVI_0576.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v514/BigGreenMachine/?action=view&current=MVI_0576.flv)

scooterroo
05-07-2007, 01:57 PM
there is no comparing a 350x to a t3, 350x being 4 stroke thumper, the t3 being a 2 stroke high strung race bike. i absolutely have loved the tecates since their inception. i own both an 85 and an 86. like bgm said watch for the flywheel on them as the magnets are glued on on the stock units and are prone to coming off and jammin the motor up. like bgm also said, ricky stator makes a better flywheel with magnets that arent glued on. more reliable. or you can go the kx ignition set up. they can be set up basically anyway you want to. you can change out the rear shocks on them with either a raptor shock or 300ex shock, both work great from what i hear. digity x has a 300ex shock on his and loves it. the green machines are huge on power. like to keep the front tire off the ground in basically any gear, but there is ways to fix that. extend your swinger and you'd be golden. i have an entire kx ignition on mine, thanks to james :beer , a kx cylinder, bassain headpipe, answer hottip silencer, and soon i will have my 38mm carb and v force reeds. my 86 is just a roller and i am currently in the market for a motor. i havent really done to much to that one as i am concentrating on basically getting my 85 done first. i guess its all on what you wanna do, how you ride, where you ride...

DixiePlowboy
05-07-2007, 05:31 PM
Personally, this is a comparison I would usually shy away from since I love both machines and they both excel at what they were designed for.

The 350X's power is really a plus in tight situations. It's performance and reliability are legendary on the trail. All around, it is a great performer. Like a 200X on steroids.

With that said, the Tecate is a breed apart. It's much quicker and faster for one. With a good aftermarket flywheel, it's biggest downfall is corrected, and with one of the aforementioned rear shocks on the '84-'85 models, it'll bounce less and hang in there better on the jumps/whoops.

Hit the open spaces and the stock Tecate will show it's rear to the stock X like it means business....though with a good rider, it will do it pretty much anywhere.

Whether you like the Tecate's raw performance better than the refined but potent X is all a matter of personal preference.

vanet
05-07-2007, 07:58 PM
The tecate is an 86 and I mostly ride dessert trails with a couple of trips to the dunes every year. I am at 8000 ft elavation and it gets cold in the winter if that matters. Ive owned a couple of 2 strokes but prefer 4 stroke just for ease fo use. The tecate has a kit that boosts the diplacement up to 360 i believe. The guy Im getting it from is a mechanic that picked it up because the guy who brought it in didnt pay his bill and then abandoned it. My buddy took it to the dunes and said it is scary. He toasted a couple of banshees but said you could lean all the way foward and sit nearly on the tank and it would still pull the front end up. He weighs 240 lbs. The problem is, he does this for a living and is trying to sell me the bike and even he says they are not reliable. He said the fly wheel is already done, but compared to a honda it wont hold up. I am capable of working on bikes but i would rather not have to spend my trips fixing things. I am not decided but it sounds like a 350x might be a better bike for me. What do you think?

scooterroo
05-07-2007, 08:35 PM
for ease of use, and rideability, go for the x.

BigGreenMachine
05-07-2007, 09:17 PM
The tecate is an 86 and I mostly ride dessert trails with a couple of trips to the dunes every year. I am at 8000 ft elavation and it gets cold in the winter if that matters. Ive owned a couple of 2 strokes but prefer 4 stroke just for ease fo use. The tecate has a kit that boosts the diplacement up to 360 i believe. The guy Im getting it from is a mechanic that picked it up because the guy who brought it in didnt pay his bill and then abandoned it. My buddy took it to the dunes and said it is scary. He toasted a couple of banshees but said you could lean all the way foward and sit nearly on the tank and it would still pull the front end up. He weighs 240 lbs. The problem is, he does this for a living and is trying to sell me the bike and even he says they are not reliable. He said the fly wheel is already done, but compared to a honda it wont hold up. I am capable of working on bikes but i would rather not have to spend my trips fixing things. I am not decided but it sounds like a 350x might be a better bike for me. What do you think?

Well now...whats the price on that Tecate?

It won't be a 360cc, never heard of that. 330cc at most...

If your bud does this for a living then he must know you can make just about motor reliable. As long as that flywheel is an RS unit and the motor has been built correctly you won't find a better trike for the desert. The 350X just won't have the power/suspension to get out there and really push/jump and pound over obstacles. In the dunes you won't find a better trike, especially if the motor has been tuned.

Now if your worried about reliability then why not buy a liquid Honda 250R? If for nothing else only the name because it doesn't sound like you trust anything else.....:crazy:

vanet
05-08-2007, 12:04 AM
If I didnt trust them i wouldnt be asking. I dont know enough about the tecate to make a decision. The fact that a mechanic that works on atvs for a living says they are not reliable does carry some weight. What is this about the water cooled 250r are they reliable as well as a good multi purpose bike? I dont have a line on one but they seem to be cheaper and more available then the 350x.

scooterroo
05-08-2007, 07:06 PM
the r is like a tecate. 2 stroke racing bike. but with honda reliability backing it. one of the best selling race bikes if not the best seller.

vanet
05-08-2007, 07:42 PM
Is the 250r watercooled more ridable or reliable than the 350x because it is water cooled?

rustyhondas
05-08-2007, 07:46 PM
what i like about the tecte is the looks it is a beutifull machine and it is more rare.

i think the best all around bike is the 1986 Honda ATC 250R.

it is more reliable than the 350x and easyer to maintain. they are cheap to operate , parts are cheap and plentifull.

teh suspention is the best of any 3 wheeler ever made. they are so comfortable to ride, there are huge to ,these things are big,

they are great in the trails and whatever else.they are very easy to start also.

it is a 2 stroke but it is dependable as anything,typical honda reliablility.

it is by far the most comfortable riding 3 wheeler i have ever been on. the thing has almost a foot of suspention travel front and back,

350x's are fast but not os fast as a R generaly. i think there are heavy hard to start bikes that like to destroy there valve trains all the time.