PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilt the YTM200 and runs great BUT its so hard pulling the starter cord. ??????

filipinoredneck
05-03-2007, 09:08 PM
Well Here's what happened. When I bought the trike, the guy said its a fresh top end. I have had troubles getting it to idle. She would run but would not idle. Last week, it blew up. I took it apart on the weekend and found that the piston and rings installed were 0.020 undersized to the bore. I opened up the spare engine that came with the trike and found a wiseco piston and rings in it in great condition. The piston size was a standard at 67.00mm. The bore on the cylinder was 0.005 over 67.00mm. So i moved the cylinder, piston, rings,connecting pin, and c-clips over to my engine. She runs with lots of power, idles like brand new.

My problem now is trying to pull start this thing. It feels like its on the verge of hydraulic lock. When it is idling though, I can hear a small ticking sound. Could I not have enough head room for either the valves or the piston perhaps, or is this common to have this much compression with a wiseco piston? :wondering

By the way, when I do pull the starter cord while shifting over the decompression lever, she would pull really easy. I still have to buy and install the decompression mechanism in the starter casing. I'm on the verge of pulling my arm out of my shoulder socket. Any ideas?

mark38090
05-03-2007, 10:35 PM
Mine is the same way without the decompression lever. I actually dislocated my 2 middle fingers trying to do it that way.

pickleweasel_00
05-03-2007, 11:20 PM
yeah, i think the decompression lever has to be hooked up. I tried to start mine once without and it about pulled my arm off :D now it starts with little or no effort. the ticking sound might be the rocker arms, did you check them for proper clearance?

thefox
05-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Sounds like your pull starter is worn out. Take the pull starter off and see if the pulley is loose on the center post. Mine was a bear to pull over but when I switched to my brothers pull starter it there was a huge difference (I am running the wiesco piston too). My pulls tater was worn out big time, I have replaced the pulley but the center post on mine is worn as well so it is still a little harder to pull then it should be, but it is much better then when the old pulley was on there. Now just to hook up that compression release so that the starter won't wear out on me...

As for the noise, it could be that the valves are out of adjustment or that the rockers are worn. With a 20+ year old machine a little noise is not a surprise.