PDA

View Full Version : Hey DJCHEEZ, Why are you selling the Tecate 500...

Curtis-Tecate3
05-01-2003, 01:49 PM
Hey, I saw your KX500 Tecate for sale.... I was expecting to hear at least a ride report out of you after you finished it. So why are you selling it? Did it not meet your expectations? Let us know something about the bike. Was the gearing way too short due to internal gearing designed to turn that large diameter rear tire on the dirtbike....Fill us in. Or private mail me if you prefer....

Curtis.

djcheez
05-01-2003, 04:57 PM
i took it to the dunes last weekend and it ran great . the thing reminded me of a 4 stroke cause all the torque it had. it would pull hard in all gears. i remember going up some steep dunes in 3rd gear and not even going very fast and it was no problem for the beast. the gearing was fine on it. i think i had a 12/36. the only draw back is kick starting it. it is a bi*ch. for starters you have to learn how it kicks to get a good one. it not only can wear you out but the way the kick lever comes down, if you are not careful the top of your foot will smack into the footpeg. my foot is still bruised. that is the only reason i am getting rid of it. i want something i can hop on and press a button to start it and go. i had to do a few minor adjustments while down there and realized i dont like to wrench on my stuff anymore. i have a race bike so i really dont need two. as far as mechanics and everything, it runs very strong and really doesnt need anything. the shock needs rebuilt or charged though. i was initially gonna go with a longer swingarm but i really found in the sand it wasnt too bad as far as coming up on me. if you want to race it a longer arm is necessary but just riding and playing in loose sand it isnt too bad. soooooo that is the story. 5 years ago i prolly wouldnt want to sell it but i just dont have the patience any more.