PDA

View Full Version : this is a problem!!

hazard
04-30-2007, 04:09 PM
ok folks, i just bought a 42 tooth rear sproket for my 85 350x, i bought a new chain so instead of the 520x90 i got a 520x92 so i have enough chain for the larger sprocket than my old 40 tooth, so i get the new 42 tooth rear srocket installed, went to install the new regina chain and its too longi cant get all the slack out of it, so i tried putting on my old 90 link chain, and its too tight, so i need a half link to make my new 92 link chain, i looked a little on reginas web site and couldnt find a half link available? has anyone ever ran into this problem before, the sprocket was expensive and i want to use it but inneed this chain to work first, someone pleae help.:cry:

rustyhondas
04-30-2007, 04:20 PM
take a grinder and grind the tops of the pins off on the side plates on the last link of the chain. beat the pin through with a punch and hammer,then your chain will be shorter.

this allways happens. when i buy a chain it's like a foot to long so i shorten it.

and make sure you are getting full adjustment out of your bearing carrier

ATCWRENCH
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
http://www.jlatvproducts.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=JLAP&Product_Code=CT99

this should help out more than a half link. If you decide to change your gearing again and the chains to long this will take up the slack. When it's set up right it doesnt even interfere with a skid plate.

atcman77
04-30-2007, 06:09 PM
For future reference of chain and sprocket replacement just remember......Two teeth on a sprocket equals one link of a chain......In your case you will need to simply install a half-link.

tyman
04-30-2007, 09:52 PM
hey.... i had the same problem... i couldn't find a half-link anywhere.... most places call them an offset link.. they are a well kept secret i swear!! i haven't found any atv internet sites that sell them.. but if you go to your local kawi, yami, honda, or zuki dealer they should have them... just take your chain so you get one with the right pin size.... i went to my local suzuki-yamaha dealer and they had a huge box of them behind the counter.... 1.90 cents for the link...

Erics350x
04-30-2007, 10:09 PM
you can get em a any tractor supply store/shop or small engine shops

hazard
05-01-2007, 02:17 AM
i dont think that tractor supply has half links for metric chains like these trikes use, ill have to call honda

atcman77
05-01-2007, 02:31 AM
There are several websites and companies that sell these links online. Here are a couple to go on:

http://www.rnrfabrication.com/chain.htm

http://www.gokartgalaxy.com/chain_guards.htm

If your looking for something in the neighborhood I have bought them locally at places like "True Value Hardware" and a local industial supply shop. I know most karting shops keep them on hand as well.

Hope this helps?

hazard
05-01-2007, 01:15 PM
hey thanks alot atcman, got one ordered and on the way thanks for the links appreciate the help from everyone.

350xBomb
05-02-2007, 05:51 AM
What if you just adjust the carrier cut one link off and use 91 links. Its gonna strech right? why worry about a perfect fit now when your gonna have to adjust it 3 or 4 times while it breaks in? and how does a half link work? ive never heard of this and it sounds bogus to me.

Howdy
05-02-2007, 08:07 AM
What if you just adjust the carrier cut one link off and use 91 links. Its gonna strech right? why worry about a perfect fit now when your gonna have to adjust it 3 or 4 times while it breaks in? and how does a half link work? ive never heard of this and it sounds bogus to me.

Each pin is considered a link. Thus you have to have a even number of links for the chain to work without a 1/2 link.
Howdy

hazard
05-02-2007, 11:10 AM
exactly as howdy stated, you have to use a half link to make a 91 link chain or any odd numbered chain ( Cut it to a 90 link add the half link and its a 91) theres nothing bogus about it, its just plain and simple i need a half link to make it work just something that tends to happen when you go changing sprockets and such.