PDA

View Full Version : Need some 250r rear axle/bearing help

Kintore
04-29-2007, 11:29 AM
Hey guys,

Caspers bearings are SHOT, so I need to replace them. Then here comes the challege.

I cant get the locknut spun off at all to expose the snap ring to get everything to come off. The manual said just rotate it in towards the carrier to expose the snap ring, now I assume there is locktite on there, but how much should it be exposed?
How do you get it out? Snap ring pliers? Screwdriver?
This thing is hella tight, weve had 2 big ass adj. on her and no dice.

Any tips? Ideas? thanks guys,

Thanks!

x.system
04-29-2007, 11:44 AM
You need to loosen the skinny nut, then the other nut will turn towards the caliper easy. Once the circle clip is exposed you can use a small screwdriver to pop it out of its groove and slide it off the axle.

Kintore
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
I have that done Jim, the skinny nut is off and back threaded all towards the carrier. Ill try a small screwdriver today. It should work seeing as most of you guys use that.

Bryan Raffa
04-29-2007, 11:46 AM
kintore HEAT!! it and use a big wrench or pipe wrench ,Just enough to expose the snap probley a 1/8 past it then use a screwdriver to pop it off..have pops hold the brakes do the bike dont move.

Kintore
04-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Says not to heat raffa, thats why we dont want too! But yes, im thinking we do have to far enough and I need to use small screwdrivers to try and get it out. Ill know more tomorrow, probably take a day of school to fix it lol

Bryan Raffa
04-29-2007, 12:35 PM
not to heat what? the ring or the nut..

ChrisD
04-29-2007, 01:46 PM
I would use a dremel to cut the outer threads, then replace the unit. Otherwise you will have this problem again. I bought a durablue locking nut and it works great. Stock ones in good shape can be bought for $5 on ebay.

rustyhondas
04-29-2007, 03:11 PM
DO NOT USE HEAT ON THE AXLE .

you cannot get the axle hot,it is heat treated you will make it weak,

and the threds on the thing are backwards, "oposite threds"

tools you need are big trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro hammer,screw driver,cold chisle,channel locks/pipe wrench/big adjustable wrench,PB blaster,

Keep messing with it and you will get it.

Erics350x
04-30-2007, 07:49 AM
if the snap ring is syuck tap all the way around it with a hammer to loosen it then remove it with screwdrivers

crackshot
04-30-2007, 08:50 AM
I soaked the heck out of mine with some penetrating oil (not WD-40) and then wiped off dirt and grime then soaked the heck out of it again then let it sit for an hour. After spraying it down once moreI used 2 big pipe wrenches and the nuts came right off.

Kintore
04-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Alright guys, going at it tonight for sure. I think a small screwdriver will get the collar out for sure. And I have soaked the hell outa it with pent lube. Hopefully she will come off, then install the new bearings and ill be up and going soon!