PDA

View Full Version : 250R questions

filipinoredneck
04-28-2007, 08:49 PM
I would like some feed back on what 2 stroke oil to use on a 1985 250R. On the frame, it says 20:1, Do you use that ratio for all 2stroke oil brands, or does the ratio change depending on the brand you use? Is it difficult to change fork seals? Do I need to compress it in a press to releive the spring tension first, and does this require oil inside. If I do, what brand, weight, and or volume? What are your views on that plastic welder. Is the 80 watt recomended over the 40 watt. Does the clear sticks look better, or does the red match color very well? :beer

RoscoW
04-28-2007, 09:14 PM
Two stroke oil is a matter of personal preferance and availability but the one thing That everyone says is 20:1 is too rich. It was for the old oils available 22 years ago, With the synthetic oils out today it seems 32:1 or greater is the norm. I use the Honda oil in a blue bottle at 32:1 , 1 bottle oil for 15 liters gas. Fork seals can be a bear to get out , but it's not that difficult, A manual should be your first download or purchase, Yes there is fork oil in them or really old ATF, Never used a plastic welder

Ross..

filipinoredneck
04-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Two stroke oil is a matter of personal preferance and availability but the one thing That everyone says is 20:1 is too rich. It was for the old oils available 22 years ago, With the synthetic oils out today it seems 32:1 or greater is the norm. I use the Honda oil in a blue bottle at 32:1 , 1 bottle oil for 15 liters gas. Fork seals can be a bear to get out , but it's not that difficult, A manual should be your first download or purchase, Yes there is fork oil in them or really old ATF, Never used a plastic welder

Ross..

Thanks. I've got an amsoil distributor close by, I'll try that for a bit. I used to use it on my YZ80. The guy is thinking of a trade with me as well instead of paying him the money. I have a 300 Winchester Magnum that shoots 3" at 300 yds which I don't use much any more. It's too heavy for a small guy like me to carry around in the bush plus it puts VERY BIG HOLES in deer. I'll use my 30-06 and 308 for moose and deer. They don't hurt at all.

RoscoW
04-28-2007, 09:43 PM
Doesn't hurt you...... or the deer:lol:

gravelord
04-30-2007, 09:33 PM
if you can get Klotz, use it, and mix it 32:1 (it doesnt matter if it says snowmobile on it, the one that says you can use with alcohol/oil injector or whatever) both bottles will work the same. - if you cant get klotz, "Amsoil Dominator" worked good the one time i used it. i mixed that 32:1 as well. - remember though, if you think your running rich, dont change your oil mixture ratio by putting less oil in the gas. go down a hair on your jet, or change the clip on your needle.

crackshot
04-30-2007, 09:43 PM
I use the dominator and mix at 40:1. Works great
I did plug chops to check jetting. Using stock jetting for 6000 feet but using Boysen reeds.