PDA

View Full Version : Forks seals wont budge

super90
04-28-2007, 06:13 PM
My fork seals have been blown for a couple weeks so I ordered some new seals, I removed one fork, took the springs out, drained fluid, and took out the damper and clip above the seals. I've been pulling on this thing for 2 hours and the seal barley moved a MM. I put it in a vice but it just scratched my tubes up way too bad, what else can I do to get these things out?

Billy Golightly
04-28-2007, 06:19 PM
You removed the dust seal, then removed the snap ring above the oil seal?

super90
04-28-2007, 06:30 PM
Yes dust seal has been removed and the snap ring was removed. The oil seal has moved a tiny bit but that was with alot of effort. I think im doing something wrong.

super90
04-28-2007, 07:55 PM
Alright, the tube that clamps onto the tripple clamps will not slide out of the bottom portion. It gets to the seals and stops. What is blocking this and not letting me take it out so I can get to the seal? Im lost :wondering

torker
04-28-2007, 08:04 PM
There's a bolt on the bottom, remove it. It's a 6mm allen head. Be careful not to strip this. If you do you may be able to use a torx type tool (I can't remember the right name) It is used on European cars to loosen the inner CV joints ( older VW, Audi, Porsche etc... )
Then pull. Very important: DO NOT OVERTIGHTEN THE BOLTS.
Hope this helps

TORKER.

Billy Golightly
04-28-2007, 08:29 PM
Well if you've got everything removed (Sounds like it) the only 2 pieces left should be the inner tube that goes in the triples and then the outer tube the axle goes onto. You might need to use a back and fourth snatching method to pull the old oil seal out. There is a copper coated bushing on the bottom of the inner forktube that is about the same size as the oil seal. It has to bang back and fourth against the back of it until it pops the seal out. It'll be difficult to get the seal removed by just pulling on it. You'll need to kinda snatch it towards you and let it bottom out on the seal a few times.

torker
04-28-2007, 08:32 PM
Right, just what Billy said...

TORKER

super90
04-28-2007, 08:46 PM
is the copper bushing welded to the inner tube? Whenever i pull it theres something sitting in the bottom of the outer tube. Yes I removed the damper and all the bolts on the bottom of the forks. By bottoming it out what do you mean, hitting the bottom of the inner on the bottom of the outter? It also seems to be moving maybe a MM every 20 hits. I may just make a wooden rig with a hole so the inner can come out of so when I pull it up there will be alot more force.

Billy Golightly
04-28-2007, 08:55 PM
No its not welded to the tube, but the tube has a big notch it slips into to keep it from coming off of it. The little round thing in the bottom of the tube is a spacer for the dampening rod if I remember right. What I mean with bottoming it out is find some way to clamp the bottom outer tube in a vice. I use an old rag wrapped around it and then clamp in the axle area and also further up there I believe theres some brake line mounts. Then gently insert the inside tube all the way till it bottom outs. Then grab it and violently pull it towards you. Push it back in gently, forcefully pull it out again. Repeat until it comes out.

RoscoW
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
They can be stubborn but just keep working it like a slide hammer, it should come out

Ross..

super90
04-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Alright thanks, ill go give that a try before I ruin it somehow. :beer