PDA

View Full Version : tri-z break in

pickleweasel_00
04-27-2007, 08:40 PM
Allright fellas, I've been searching for about 45 minutes now and haven't found what I need yet. Got my parts at the machine shop and waiting on a piston for my tri-z. I need to know what to do for break in, or what you guys do.

I have the service manual and it said to run a 14:1 or 16:1 ratio during break in. I'm assuming this is with the Yamalube R oil (since that's what was reccomended for them) and that's what I'm using. Seems a bit rich to me, will it even run that rich? Also, i've read 20:1 and 22:1 in various manuals for normal riding. But I was going to run 32:1, can I do this with no adverse effects? Tha last thing I wanna do is ruin something. And I have read the official procedures for breaking it in (various runs with cool downs), is this what you guys follow breaking yours in?

BTW, if anybody caught my last post a week or so ago, I had a bad head gasket, overheated it. Cylinder was slightly scored and the piston was trashed, but that is the first time I had it running and the piston was already slightly scored when I put it together the first time. So, I get a re-bore and new piston

Anyways, thanks for all the help :beer

random-strike
04-27-2007, 09:34 PM
run whichever mix you're going to run for the life of the motor is the best way.

when i broke in my tri-z i did this:

let it idle and heat up, cool down

snug up headbolts

rode it around part throttle, cool down
rode it around full throttle for short spurts, cool down

snug headbolts

ride normally.

mine seems to run really good.

pickleweasel_00
04-27-2007, 10:18 PM
so you didn't richen the mixture up for break in?

ATC-Eric
04-27-2007, 11:34 PM
The suggestions for mixtures in the manual were from a time when oil and gas didnt have the same quality. Most guys around here run 50:1 when break in is complete, and I personally dont run anything under 93 octane in my Z.

For the break in, yes a rich mixture is good. I started at 32:1. Random has the break in procedure down pretty good. You have to ride it a bit hard at some point to let the rings set though. Do your warm ups and cool downs, get a calm ride in on it, then let it rip!

I would suggest you start at 32:1 with your choice of oil. Then around every change of gas up it to the next ratio. Thats what I did, Im finally up to 50:1 and the thing runs great!

Good to hear your Z is coming together, keep us posted!!!!

pickleweasel_00
04-30-2007, 10:15 PM
piston came in the mail today :Bounce off to the machine shop tommorow to get the cylinder bored, hopefully not too much longer now...