PDA

View Full Version : engine

82atc200
04-27-2007, 05:31 PM
i have a 82 honda atc 200 (basic version) and i took apart the engine because the engine was smoking and i was just going to put piston and rings in it would i have to get anything else for it or will i have to get the cylinder bored.

3Wheelers4Life
04-27-2007, 05:43 PM
if its smoking you should bore it

thefox
04-27-2007, 06:02 PM
It really depends. When did it smoke (all the time or just on start up)? You may only need new rings and a hone job. You should not have any scratches on the piston or cylinder and they need to be measured to make sure they are still in spec. Don't forget to have the cylinder honed if all you need is rings. If your piston is out of spec. then you will need a new one, if the cylinder is out of spec. then you will need to have it bored. A good thing to do your first time taking one of these apart is bring the piston and cylinder in to a shop and have them check it out for you, it can be helpful having a mechanic show you exactly what to look for.

While you are in there of course you will want to replace the gaskets, just about all gasket kits come valve stem seals. You will want to remove your valves and replace the seals, 20+ year old valve seals tend to leak (and cause smoking on start up). I also re-grind the valves since they are out just to make sure they seat well. Cleaning up the top of the combustion chamber as well as the intake and exhaust ports is a good thing to spend some time on as well.

82atc200
04-27-2007, 08:57 PM
yes when it was running it smoked all the time after we took it apart me and my dad used a glaze breaker on the cylinder and it took out most of the scratches you can still see some but not feel them there isnt any burnt marks or gouges so maybe just rings and a piston should fix it

3Wheelers4Life
04-27-2007, 09:08 PM
you could probably get away with a piston and rings i think but i would just do a new top end so you will be good for a while "do it now and forget about it later"