PDA

View Full Version : z exhaust leak

erikb45
04-22-2007, 05:55 PM
im hoping some one can help me with thisproblem.

my 85 z is leaking exhaust and oil (from running rich) at the jug and beginning of the exhaust. its a dg pipe and has the 2 piece exhaust gasket . do these gaskets go bad?and thats why its leaking. is there a simple fix that somebody has done?will this be robbing some power? its leaking alot and the springs are tight. please let me know of any advice or info

tecat-z
04-22-2007, 07:00 PM
There should be a small dished metal spacert between the pipe and cylinder then a metal sleeve that slides over the pipe then push it all together. These parts are still availiable from the dealer. I always use permatex high temp silicone RTV when assembling exhaust on cylinder with these pieces. It will end leaks for good. And yes leaks do cost a bit of power.

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2007, 07:20 PM
yep metal dish gaskit and a thin steel flat ring go inside the pipe, then a 1/4 inch bead of rtv permatex,smoothed out with your finger so its about 3/16th's thick, slip the pipe on and attach the springs and bolt it up.. dont touch it for 24hrs till it cures 100%,, or it will blow right out

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2007, 07:32 PM
heres what your lookin for,,, the thin steel ring comes in a complete gaskitset but you can get it by itself

erikb45
04-22-2007, 08:09 PM
ok yeah i got those 2 pieces but i never thought about using the permatex. if thats all it takes then im good. just seems weird to silicone the exhaust together lol but ok

sblt500r
04-22-2007, 08:35 PM
have you tried this stiff? i tried it awhile agao, and worked pretty good. called chamber seal

http://www.faymyers.com/eshopprod_cat_2523-10287-10288_product_259783.CHAMBER_SEAL_EXHAUST_SEALANT_ T.htm

shouldn't there be o-rings on that exhaust in place of the sealant?

chris200x
04-22-2007, 08:55 PM
heres what your lookin for,,, the thin steel ring comes in a complete gaskitset but you can get it by itself

Boy am I glad I read this thread... Owning my first Z I had no idea these parts were there. I'm finding more and more pieces that are missing as I go through this project.

This explains all the oil splattered on the front of my motor when I pulled it out.

Shawn.. can that stuff you posted be used instead of those gaskets Raffa posted? or should I just go ahead and spend the money I don't have... ? Are they they only two things that go on the end of the expansion chamber? :confused:

ColeTrickle
04-22-2007, 09:06 PM
The main reason those metal rings are there is to keep the pipe from vibrating and digging away the alluminum on the jug. Along with sealing it better it saves your cylinder. The permatex has worked for me with the rings to seal it up pretty good but I've never had on that stayed totally sealed for too long, don't worry, run it!

Bryan Raffa
04-22-2007, 09:50 PM
sometimes you have to seal it a few times, to get it right.. the key is to let it sit over night..

shouldn't there be o-rings on that exhaust in place of the sealant?

No O rings on a tri z...:(

OH GOTTA TRY THIS!!!YAMAHONDAMAN

chris200x
04-23-2007, 01:54 PM
I just got off the phone with my local parts place and he argued with me about this gasket in question. He swore it's not necessary and I'd just be wasting my money... Now I'm sure he knows more about these things then I do... but he says those triz's will always leak no matter what you do.

So... should I just go ahead and order one anyways... or just use the flat one that came with my gasket set and load it up with that permatex crap?

sorry for busting in on your thread... But I seen no reason to start another one. :postwhore

tecat-z
04-23-2007, 03:08 PM
Doing it the correct way will seal it up for as long as you want. That guy doesn't know what he's talking about, they don't ALL leak! I have tried chamber seal in the past and it's kind of a waste. That will leak in time. Usually a short time to. If you do what Raffa said it's a done deal. Mine will stay leak free for years at a time doing it the correct way.

chris200x
04-23-2007, 03:23 PM
Yeah.. I'm starting to think this guy just don't want to help me with my wheeler... He did the same thing to me when I tried to order the dust covers for the front hub.

I'm just gonna go and order that through ronnie's mail order (unless someone knows a cheaper place) I just like ordering it form the local guy because I wouldn't have to pay high shipping rates.

Bryan Raffa
04-23-2007, 04:35 PM
Mine dont leak! Im anal about that stuff!:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

erikb45
04-23-2007, 06:22 PM
hey chris dont worry bout the hijacking. the more info the better.

the stock gaskets deffinately tightens up the connection so id order it if yours was missing.. mine has it and still leaks im gonna try the permatex for this weekend if it doesnt work im only out a couple dollars. but im sure if it works for raffa and dracula it will be fine thanks again boys .

YAMAHONDAMAN (ok had to try it too)