PDA

View Full Version : What are some good bars for these old Honda trikes?

lisnup65
04-30-2003, 01:56 PM
I am looking for a new set of handlebars for my 85 250R. The bars that it came with really suck. I have no idea what they are for, but I get servere fatuige(sp?) when riding with them. The do not come up as high as my 350X bars and the are about 3" wider. The knurle for mounting does not align in the mounts on the TT. What is a good replacement so I can file these were they belong?!

I took the factory set off the spare 350X I have and mounted them up on the 250R. Much, much, much better!!!!!!!!!! I would just leave them that way, but I was hoping to find a newer set to replace mine with and the buyer of the 350X will get a more/less factory machine.

NOS_350X
04-30-2003, 07:07 PM
what ever is comftorable to you

lisnup65
04-30-2003, 07:57 PM
what ever is comftorable to you

I was hoping that someone would know a set that is currently manufactured and is around the same as the factory set-up. I really do not want to buy 50 sets of bars to find one that is close. I ordered a set of ATV High and they are not even close. Again the knurle is wider than the factory TT mounts. I am sure that someone on here has switched bars at some point. Maybe ATC bars are just no longer offered.

plkmonster2
04-30-2003, 08:02 PM
look on ebay. also, look in the classifieds of this board, or the wanted.

atc86r
04-30-2003, 11:04 PM
i've found out its hard to get this advice. i've asked similar question and got soso response. i also want new bars but am unsure what will work and what bend i would like. i do like the stock bend but would be willing to try a bar that was highly recommended.

Lots_Of_Nothing
04-30-2003, 11:16 PM
for one, you should of known that ATV high would be wrong, the front end is set down more, and the bars have a way higher rise, really uncomfortable on a trike, get CR HIGH bend bars, i got a set of $75 CR HIGH bend FMF factory 909 bars on my 84 R, and that work great and are comfortable, did you forget that they still make dirt bikes, and dirt bikes have a front end similar to a trike?

Cokera
04-30-2003, 11:26 PM
What buggs me is the finger throttle. will most bike throttles work on my 82 250r?

Dirtcrasher
05-01-2003, 10:03 AM
I wish we could get some other opinions. All my SX bars are cooked and hell if I know what to get to replace them with. Although looking at a set of Blaster bars, they look like they'd fir nicely. These bars still grab 30 - 50$ on EBAY used!!! Wonder how much they are at the dealer?

FullBore
05-01-2003, 10:56 AM
Get some Renthals, they're good, youhave to ask somone in the know about what style you need.

lisnup65
05-01-2003, 11:20 AM
I wish we could get some other opinions. All my SX bars are cooked and hell if I know what to get to replace them with. Although looking at a set of Blaster bars, they look like they'd fir nicely. These bars still grab 30 - 50$ on EBAY used!!! Wonder how much they are at the dealer?

New from BB, they are $58.44 plus ship for 250R and $60.62 for the 350X.
Since noone here has really been able to share what fits the TT properly and is close to stock feel, this seems the route to go. If I wanted to rig a set of motorcycle bars on it that the knurl does not even get clamped down I could by whatever, but I would prefer for the part to look like it belongs on the machine.

Red Rider
08-05-2004, 12:38 AM
I recently installed some Magura X-Line bulge bars on my '86 250R. I definitely wanted some sort of fat/bulge bars because I think they look pretty trick & more modern, but I was a little concerned with the available dimensions. I know the Renthal 400EX bend is pretty close to the stock 85-86 ATC 250R dimensions, so I used those measurements as guidelines. The closest I could find were the Magura X-Line EX bend, but they were still not quite as tall & didn't have the same pull back. I actually like the new bend better than the stock bend because I have a little more room now. At 6'4" w/long arms, I guess I was a little bit cramped before, but I never really noticed until now.

Instead of using those fat bar adapter clamps, I decided to go the sano route (interpret as lots of extra work & hassle) and cut off the old handlebar clamps, and welded on some Applied Racing fat bar clamps. After all that work, it had to look factory, so I ground the welds down smooth and polished the top & bottom triple clamps. Here's how it looks now from the pilot's seat.

Fox250R
08-05-2004, 02:08 AM
actually i heard low bend were a better feel..

RichinMO
08-05-2004, 04:09 PM
If matching the knurling to the clamps is important to you, buy the stock OEM bars. Motorcycle and quad bar mounting points are both narrower than a trike. I have a set of TAG X-5 Banshee bend bars on my 350X and the feel is great. The mounting flat is a little short though, I just torqued it down and its holding fine.

Red Rider
08-05-2004, 04:43 PM
While searching for that perfect bend, I found that most handlebar manufacturers say the knurling adds a weak spot in the bars.

Jeb
08-05-2004, 05:27 PM
Any cuts (even knurling) weaken tubing. It's got to be pretty slight though.

I like what you did to your R Red Rider! Good work.

But man, why did you dredge up this old post???????? ;)

Red Rider
08-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Jeb, just when you thought this post was dead & gone forever, it rears it's ugly head again. :Evil By the way, thanks for the compliments, and in answer to your question, before I started looking for new bars, I did a search on this board to see what other riders were using, so after I made the change, I thought I'd share my experience to show what other possibilities there are in the vast world of handlebars. :D

vartiak15
08-05-2004, 08:32 PM
if its for a 200x the cheep oneal bars from bobs racing are the same bend as the 200x bars and they are 15 bucks

atc86r
08-05-2004, 09:40 PM
I bought some moose cr high bend. The knurls only go halfway into clamp. Its ok with me.

AZ250R
08-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Yea I got some CR bars on my R but they bend just a bit too soon, I torqued em on anyway and they're hold'n!

What I'd like is tha "Dogbone" clamp to go over them too, anyone.... Red Rider your fab on the tree is killer but why not go the step further & fab us up some dogbone clamps to top em off too!?!?!