PDA

View Full Version : 200X axle/sprocket hub removal help...

Dirtcrasher
04-14-2007, 07:53 PM
First off, a 82R rear axle is NOT a direct bolt on. It has a different sprocket hub which must be swapped with a 200X sprocket hub.

The following post is looking at the axle as if you were behind the trike or as shown in the photo.

So, I got off the old 250R sprocket hub with a cut off wheel and it appears that it is properly removed towards the left side of the axle or away from the axle nuts. BUT, if thats the way it comes off then when you tighten the axle nuts I would imagine it could force the sprocket hub off towards the left. Unless it is a severly tight fit, I don't see why it comes off to the left or sprocket side of the ATC, I would think it should come off towards the axle nuts. There are no clips or anything else holding it in place other than the splines themselves, and no "shoulder" that I see either.

Now I need to get off the 85 sprocket hub and press it onto the 82R axle. Before I heat this thing up and put it in a press, could someone please tell me which direction this hub is intended to be pressed off if they were looking at the 200X from behind. And if it does press of towards the left, what the heck keeps it on the axle when the axle nuts are tightened?

Is it that strong of a press fit that it relys on that alone? Doesn't make sense to me. Thanks for any help!! I gotta get this fixed for my bud....

Howdy
04-14-2007, 08:52 PM
The axle / hub set up was probably pressed on correctly. I know at work we build drive units that take tremendous ( sp? ) abuse. The one drive gear is heated and the shaft is frozen and then pressed together. Once the parts are at room temp they will not come apart easy ( a 20 ton press strains to press it out ). It only has a small key way ( instead of splines ). These drive units have been tested and has proven to be durable ( One unit has lasted over 4 years of constant abuse ).
This may not answer you question directly, but I would probably press it on the way is appears to go.
Howdy

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2007, 11:22 AM
Thanks Howdy, I agree it must be a severe press fit.

Oh why Honda why?? All they needed was a clip and a regular press fit.

Problem is that I cannot use the 82 R axle without this hub so I MUST get it off or buy the correct axle.

Has anyone ever took one of these off??

jason85atc250r
04-15-2007, 02:17 PM
since you have a 86 200x thats why the axle is not working. has to be a 83-85 model

deathman53
04-15-2007, 02:21 PM
you can use a 83/84 250r axle, you will need the correct sprocket for it though. Stock a 83/84 250r used a 40-42? tooth rear sprocket. Pm me, if you want to know what you will need to make it work.

Dirtcrasher
04-15-2007, 02:59 PM
since you have a 86 200x thats why the axle is not working. has to be a 83-85 model

I'm trying to get this sprocket hub off regardless of what I'm installing it in. It's not that the axle isn't fitting, it's that I don't know which way to press the hub off.

This is my buddies 85 200X that he bent the axle on. I posted if the 82R axle was a direct swap and it almost is but the sprocket hub has to swapped and I don't want to ruin anything pressing it off the wrong way.

jason85atc250r
04-15-2007, 03:59 PM
i thought it was for your 86

it is for the durablue extended axles maybe the stock ones wont work exactly rite. they say it on there site

Howdy
04-15-2007, 04:49 PM
Thanks Howdy, I agree it must be a severe press fit.

Oh why Honda why?? All they needed was a clip and a regular press fit.

Problem is that I cannot use the 82 R axle without this hub so I MUST get it off or buy the correct axle.

Has anyone ever took one of these off??

Yes, I have pressed a sprocket hub off before. I put the axle in the press and applied some pressure. I then heated the sprocket hub while adding more pressure. The sprocket hub was real hot when it popped off ( do not over heat it ). When I re-installed it I put the axle into Ice over night and then heated the hub in the oven ( 425-450 degree's ). It pressed on a lot easier than it comes off. The key is to get the hub pressed on to the exact location it needs to be. Once the parts normalize in temp they will be hard to move again.
NOTE: If you heat the hub too much you risk stretching it and that will cause it to move once installed. In this case you would need to fix the hub via drilling and pinning, welding, or other such method. But once you do this your commited to that location for good.
Howdy