PDA

View Full Version : Stator question 250R

InPiEcEs
04-14-2007, 05:29 PM
I was looking ther MRcycles to compare an OEM stator to a replacement one for price.
I think I'm gonna go OEM:naughty:
I was looking at the part numbers, and they are all the same till 1989, then it's a different part number. How is the 89 stator different from 85-88 stators?
I also noticed they list an "alternator assembly" which looks to consist of the flywheel, and stator, for less than the price of the flywheel alone.
Can that possibly be right? If so, I may just spring for both..........
The stator and stuff is under the "left crankcase cover" category.
Check it out.

http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

InPiEcEs
04-15-2007, 01:04 AM
Talked to a buddy of mine.........and he thought that 88 and 89 were different from 85-87, as far as the lighting coil. He said he seemed to recall the 88-89 having a higher wattage lighting coil, otherwise should be the same.
He also said he thought the 87-89 CDI box was possibly different, due to switching to the long-rod setup.
If it is just the lighting coil that's different, and higher wattage.....that'd be a bonus, no? Does anyone here know for sure what's up with 89, and (verbally) 88 being different stator part numbers from the rest.
Also....I don't know that the OEM stuff is still available.....never alled this place , or the dealer yet. Can anyone verify that OEM stators, or flywheels are still available? If not......I'm going aftermarket stuff. :eek: Who knows.....maybe it's better stuff than OEM. I know Nology is, and it worked nice on my CBR.......but it sure is pricey:mad:

deathman53
04-15-2007, 02:29 PM
with 89 the only difference are the stator connectors. 86/87 and 88/89 had different cdi's. Each year had a different flywheel, 85 being the lightest, 89 the heaviest, 88/89 flywheels are advanced 2 degrees, maybe that is why the cdi's are different. However, any flywheel will work with any year. If I were you, I'd get a ricky stator stator and lightened flywheel. I think its $200 for both.