PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a different ytm model carb on my ytm200

filipinoredneck
04-13-2007, 10:24 PM
For my 83 ytm200, can I use the ytm175 or the ytm225 carb on it. Are they larger or smaller. If they are, what can happen. Run too rich or lean, different jetting setup, different jet size, etc.:wondering

cowmilker
04-13-2007, 11:00 PM
I don't know if they fit, or if they are different sizes. But if a carb is too big you will get a stumble on acceleration (not enough vacuum to atomize the incoming air until you build RPM's back up). If you have a carb too small it will not peak out on RPM's (not enough airflow), the general rule is to go smaller for better low end performance (you don't always drive at 6000 rpm). At least that is the way it is with AUTOMOBILE carbs, it may not make as big of a deal with bikes. Also YES you can compensate SOMEWHAT with jetting/mixture for the wrong size carb.

Vealmonkey
04-13-2007, 11:31 PM
Your best bet is to get on the Yamaha website and look up the parts microfiche for your year ytm200 and do some cross referencing. I found by doing such research, that a NOS 84 and later carb for a yt125 would fit on an 80-83 ytm125 even though it is a larger carb with larger jets, and that really no other parts on the engine changed. There just aren't as many yamaha utility trikes it seems and the only way to find out alot of info is to go digging around. It can be time consuming, but well worth it in the end. And the larger carb, works just fine on the earlier 125 and has seemed to pep the trike up quite alot. Now I've been doing other research and have just managed to find a dt125 engine which should bolt in with no problems. It's just starting to get interesting. You might want to see if you can find out if yamaha made a dt200 and see what parts are compatable. You might be surprised. Good hunting.

thefox
04-14-2007, 06:49 AM
Well the YTM's are 4 stroke where the YT and DT models are 2 stroke. The '83 YTM200 used a different style intake then the later YTM (both 200 and 225) trikes but you can swap out the intake as well so the other carbs. will work. The '83 has a clamp on style intake where the rest of the YTM's have the carb. bolt on to the intake. Although the other YTM's use a different part number and jetting, the carbs. are the same size and bolt on to the other style intake. Only the YTM225DR uses a larger carb. (and I think it was only for '86).

The timerwolf, Big Bear, BW200, XT200 all should also work depending on what style intake you use but I have not tried them out to find the differences.

I hope this makes sense; it is early in the morning.:(

filipinoredneck
04-14-2007, 07:07 PM
I just paid a member to ship me his carb off a ytm225 1985. I'm hoping everything will go smooth with it. I'll use my rebuild kit that I bought for the old one and rebuild it later for my spare engine that was in a fire. I'm planning to fit a ytm200 engine on my honda big red frame. I don't know if it will all fit, but my buddy and I will try anyways. That's gonna be a good drinking project.:beer I'll post a thread on how it turns out in case someone else would like to know.