PDA

View Full Version : Install a cooling fan?

_brad_
04-13-2007, 03:40 AM
Don't know if this is nonsense or not, but I'm thinking about maybe installing a large cooling fan for additional cooling on my ytm for them hot summer days and those times of hard riding. :naughty:

I was thinking about a 120mm 12v DC fan but I know the stator outputs AC current... Therefore I was thinking, maybe buy this:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?parentPage=search&summary=summary&cp=2032061&productId=2102825&accessories=accessories&kw=fan&kwCatId=2032061&techSpecs=techSpecs&currentTab=techSpecs&custRatings=custRatings&f=Taxonomy%2FRSK%2F2032061&features=features&categoryId=2032061&support=support&tab=custRatings

And hook it up. But I don't know if the stator would push out enough power to turn it. I have measured 22v AC max is being pushed out of the stator at high RPM.

Am I nuts?

Nick_R_23
04-13-2007, 04:10 AM
That idea sounds pretty good, but Id stay as far away as possible from the computer fans. They push so little air its pathetic. Plus if you get out riding they are not waterproof and they will short out almost instantly at the first sign of water.

If you are serious about doing this, I would find a small quad that has an electiric fan, and fab mounts to fit that fan on your trike. They are meant to be out in the weather and they are designed for cooling engines and to work with powersport electrical systems. That would most likely be your best bet. Good luck with it.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

_brad_
04-13-2007, 04:32 AM
What about an auto radiator fan? I know my Jeep has two nice small radiator fans on it. Could probably get one from the junk yard cheap. But would these types of fans be AC or DC? I can always use a rectifier to convert the voltage I guess...

I'm now worried about anything fitting since my YTM has no previous cooling fan so I will have to fabricate a mount which is no problem.

Hmmm....

BigReds Forever
04-13-2007, 08:58 AM
I really wouldnt worry about it. Just keep those fins clean. Has it ever overheated before? These things were ment to run all day long. but then again it is a yamaha....

_brad_
04-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Nope, never has overheated before however, I just got it a little bit ago so I have not had an opportunity to drive it on a hot summer day yet...

So AC or DC wont matter?

dansvan
04-13-2007, 01:11 PM
Automotive electric fans require alot of electrical power. They draw alot of amps. Not sure how it would work but since we're talking outside the box, how about a small misting system? small tank,pump, and nozzle. Water transfers heat better than air.

Nick_R_23
04-13-2007, 01:18 PM
Basicly, AC is for stuff that plugs into an outlet (home appliances), DC is things that will run off a battery (or stator). Since you are powering it from a battery/stator, you will want a 12V DC fan. You also want to check if the amp rating on the fan and make sure it wont draw too much power and kill your stator. You might be able to use a car fan (they are DC), maybe one from an old subaru or honda, but I think it might draw too much amps. I would just get an old 4 wheeler fan, they are more or less meant for this application, they use the right amount of power and will probably fit better. You can pick them up cheap from any ATV salvage yard.

-Nick :TrikesOwn

_brad_
04-13-2007, 02:44 PM
Really? I always thought that the stator put out AC current only......:wondering :wondering :wondering

saturnshadow
04-13-2007, 04:53 PM
umm, how about a motorcycle fan?
the one on my 600 ninja is small.