PDA

View Full Version : Air Intake Idea's

Paul C.
04-12-2007, 07:01 AM
Just put a new 40mm pwk Carbi on my R and there is no way the stock intake boot is going to fit onto it, so I have decided to loose the air box all together.
I purchased a uni pod filter that hangs straight off the back of the carbi but it is too tightly jammed between the shock and frame.
What I need to do is make an extension so it go's out past the shock and it can breath a bit better. I was thinking of using mandrel bends or something similar.
Has anyone modified their intakes or have any idea's?

edog
04-12-2007, 07:38 AM
Heat the end up of where the carb and boot meet with a heat gun.

Aussieduner
04-12-2007, 07:55 AM
Have you tried soaking the boot in hot water Paul you might get it to go and retain the stock airbox and just run the lid off for better flow with that big carby.We are riding on Saturday at Bemont if your keen ?

petesatc
04-12-2007, 08:48 AM
Also try and find some CR intake boots.......they are a different angle but some will fit or you could cut a triangle out and glue back together to get the right angle....

Paul C.
04-12-2007, 09:49 AM
Try'd hot water, heat gun, slippery stuff............it aint goin on!
The mouth of the carbi is 63mm.
I saw some Turbo type plumbing in at a local car parts store today in kit form which is pretty expensive (especially if it doesnt work). They also had k&n filters for AU$69.00. (cheep)
My other option is to go to an exhaust shop and get something custom which could be cool. (something else to polish)

Thanks fellas.

Billy Golightly
04-12-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm not sure how big around your uni filter is, but I've got mine attached directly to the back of the carb on my bike. It is kinda tight inbetween the shock and frame but it does fit. I've heard ESR also makes an airbox eliminator kit for the ATCs, but the TRX one most definitely does not fit.

BigReds Forever
04-12-2007, 09:57 AM
you might try some mandrel bent and then use radiator hose or similar to connect to the carb

Paul C.
04-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah Billy, my uni filter dose fit but it is a tight fit. I thought I'd get more air flow if it wasn't so squashed up between the shock and the frame.
I do 99.9% of my riding on the sand and I was reading somewhere that the UNI filters aren't as good in the sand as the K&N filters, and the K&N filters weren't as good as the UNI filters in the dirt. Weather this is true or not I do not Know but it is just one of those pieces of information that has seemed to have stuck in my head, Im sure there is other more important info that should have stuck that I have completely forgotten. lol

Paul C.
04-12-2007, 10:13 AM
you might try some mandrel bent and then use radiator hose or similar to connect to the carb

Yeah.........that's the way I could go, I wonder if they'll blow up if I rolled my Trike into the shop to try out the bends? lol.

Thanks.

Bryan Raffa
04-12-2007, 12:14 PM
its actually the K&N are not as good in the sand as the uni's... but if you run a pre filter you will be fine! the K&N tends to let more fine particals in than the uni

ATCWRENCH
04-12-2007, 12:30 PM
another option is using PVC pipe instead of mandrel bent pipe. fairly cheap, easy to modify, and the parts man really isnt gonna care what you are using it for. Large radiator hose and corrisponding clamps will do fine for piecing it all togethor.

brapp
04-12-2007, 04:48 PM
try findign a lt500 or lt250 quadracer airbox tube. and then just using a piece of pvc onc eit gets past the shock to clamp the filter to.

Aussieduner
04-12-2007, 06:02 PM
Paul
Here's the ESR kit this should be real easy to duplicate here,try Total Rubber on Munibung Rd Cardiff for the rubber boot (i also saw a similar thing in the plumbing section at Bunnings Belmont) then couple of doors down at Capral for the alumnium tube then it looks to be a K&N with an offset.

Billy Golightly
04-12-2007, 06:06 PM
I had one of those TRX kits, and I couldn't get it to fit on the my R. That aluminum tubing is to large to fit inbetween the frame, shock, and shock resivoir. I even cut off the front mount for my airbox and I still couldn't squeeze it in.

Paul C.
04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
Well after deep thought and questioning this is what I came up with. I put my Trike on the trailer and drove down to Wolfy's Auto 1 and parked it at the front door which caught the eye of one of the salesmen who just happened to be the guy how runs the turbo and and air filter department, he was a great help and we were just ripping stuff out of their sealed box's and trying it on in the car park, ( try doing that on EBAY). I used 63mm silicone turbo plumbing which is nice and solid yet flexible. It was a 45 degree elbow and I just kept trimming it till I got the angle around the shock to fit perfect. Did I mention it only came in ATC blue? LOL. Next was the Air filter and after Brian's comment on K&N filters v UNI filters I thought I should find where I read my original information, it was on the CT racing website.
http://www.ctracing.com/air.htm
This definitely says that K&N filters are better in the sand than UNI filters. Anyhow I got the K&N (model no#RD-0710) which fitted perfectly. Then it was just 2 extra hose clamps, a short off cut of 2+1/2inch exhaust pipe from the exhaust shop and there you have it.
I have also ordered a precharger cover that will be in on Tuesday.

Total cost.
K&N filter..........AU$69.00
K&N Precharger.........AU$20.00
Silicon tube.........AU$89.00
Hose Clamps.........AU$4.00
2+1/2 pipe offcut........FREE.