PDA

View Full Version : big red questions (whats your expierience?)

honda_atc200es
04-05-2007, 06:29 PM
i purchased an 84 bigred one year ago, but i have never had the pleasure of riding it yet. i have a couple questions about it and i would be glad if someone could answer them

1. how does the bigred sound, how would it sound with holes in the exhaust(non-intentional holes of course)

2.how fun is the bigred to ride, what is the ride like?

3. are there any commonly known modifications for the bigred, i was planing on upping the performance, and yes i know that the big red is no 200x or 250r, i just want a moderately faster bike, would it be possible to keep up with a trx200sx?

4. i have obtained a spedometer recently, now if i remeber correctly, the bigred had an optional spedometer accesory, what would i have to do/ what parts would i have to buy in order to properly install this analogue spedometer.

5. i have also found some extra lights, could the alternator provide enough power to sustane 3 more lights?

6. does anyone have some pictures of thier bigred modifications, or just some pics of it in action?

7. could i put bigger wheels on the bike, kinda like a lift kit

8. does anyone no where i could find a snow plow kit that would work for three wheelers, i have heard of them before, but i have no clue where to find one

i apreciate any answers to these questions, i apoligize if some of these questions are stupid or offencive to people who think atcs should be kept original, but my perspective is to breath new life into my bigred and to make it my own bike, this is my first project, i have never worked on a small engine before, but i have already learned alot, and my preiveious expierence with older car engines has helped me learn fast along with this site and many of its members who have given me tips

longbedGTs
04-05-2007, 08:58 PM
They are great machines. Some may call me on this, but mine is MUCH more comfortable than the 86 250SX I used to have. For a hardtail, the ride isnt that bad. The front suspension must do something to help, but its only like 2" of travel. I run 25x12x9 on mine and it fills the wheel wells pretty well.
This thing is a tank in the mud. I wish I had some mud pics, but only jump pics.
Action pics with my 200M...

nouseforaname90
04-05-2007, 09:14 PM
i purchased an 84 bigred one year ago, but i have never had the pleasure of riding it yet. i have a couple questions about it and i would be glad if someone could answer them

1. how does the bigred sound, how would it sound with holes in the exhaust(non-intentional holes of course)
It sounds nice. Just a nice low 4-stroke grunt. With holes, it will probably be a little louder/more raspy

2.how fun is the bigred to ride, what is the ride like?
I love to ride mine. I love my 250R, TriZ and 350X, but sometimes you just want to hop on the Big Red and cruise!!

3. are there any commonly known modifications for the bigred, i was planing on upping the performance, and yes i know that the big red is no 200x or 250r, i just want a moderately faster bike, would it be possible to keep up with a trx200sx?
I'm not sure if it will keep up with the TRX.. it probably will if it is an older TRX. To modify a Big Red.. your best bet would be a new airfilter, and a higher compression piston. Not much to do to Big Reds really..

4. i have obtained a spedometer recently, now if i remeber correctly, the bigred had an optional spedometer accesory, what would i have to do/ what parts would i have to buy in order to properly install this analogue spedometer.
Not sure. I know you need a thing on the hub, a cable, and the head. Someone else will be able to help you better.

5. i have also found some extra lights, could the alternator provide enough power to sustane 3 more lights?
I doubt it. If there is no battery in the Big Red, it barely makes enough power to sustain the one light.

7. could i put bigger wheels on the bike, kinda like a lift kit
Yes.. but you are limited on the size. Truthfully stock size is probably best.

8. does anyone no where i could find a snow plow kit that would work for three wheelers, i have heard of them before, but i have no clue where to find one
Ask around. They are not easy to come by.

Hope that helps.

icp4life162005
04-05-2007, 11:33 PM
My filter was rusted out a little on the bottom and them i had the bright idea to drill the muffler out (10 or so 3/8 inch holes) and i have noticed it is a lot peppier even when i get on it in second i have no steering cause the front tire is up off the ground. mine is just an E big red though and no it wasn't in low range when i did it it was in high and i had my weight before the axle (i weigh 320 lbs.) and 25x12-9's are the perfect size for the reds.

honda_atc200es
04-06-2007, 02:04 PM
thanks for the answers to the questions, i hopefully fixed the problem with the bike and i look forward to posting a video on the site if i get it running.

honda_atc200es
04-07-2007, 02:56 PM
would this work, i pulled it off a yamaha motorcycle