PDA

View Full Version : 350x spitting oil?

kb200x
04-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I just noticed my 86 350x has a small amount of oil coming out of the breather hole in the crankcase. I am guessing about a bottle cap full amount? The first thing that comes to mind is rings but there is not any smoke from the exhaust. none, zero, nota. I rebuilt the top end last year right before trikefest. I honed the cylinder and replaced the rings with OEM rings still stock size. I measured my cylinder, piston, cam, head ect... on a coordinate measuring machine so I am 100% sure that everything in the top end was still in spec. well plus or minus 5 microns. :cool: I replaced the valve seals and cleaned all the carbon up off the valves and lapped them back in. The trike has done great until November or so of last year when it developed an oil leak on the head cover right beside the cam. The manual said not to put alot of gasket maker there so the cam wouldn't get gummed up so I didn't :rolleyes: needless to say it started leaking there and constantly dripped down on to the exhaust header which is where the Ole' Smokey nickname came from. So in the last month I pulled the motor added some gasket maker to the rocker cover did some polishing on the side covers replaced the oil filter, new exhaust ect.. I noticed when I first started it after getting it all back together that it was spitting oil out the breather but I thought I had just added the oil and maybe it just hadn't all settled? I took it for a short spin around the driveway and let it set and idle in the garage for a minute and its still spitting oil? What else besides rings could do this? It runs and starts perfect? :wondering The only thing I can think of is I used some cheap oil because thats all I had at the time and I was planning on changing it before I took it out on a ride? I was in a rush to get it all back together and hear the new exhaust? Maybe the oil is to thin? I think it was 40 weight though? But cheap stuff for sure. :wondering

jeffatc250r
04-05-2007, 03:04 PM
Crank seal leaking maybe