PDA

View Full Version : 1985 Atc250es

Jugernaut
04-28-2003, 09:01 PM
How much difficulty is involved in removing the swingarm to replace the seal between the ring/pinion housing and the swingarm on a 1985 ATC250ES??

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2003, 12:06 PM
Not a fun task to say the least. You must know thats were your losing your oil. These ES and SX's also seem to get water on the rear axle splines somehow between the axle and ring gear hub and then they croak on you. So I like to tear it all down inspect the bearings and replace the seals just so I know where I stand with that all expensive shaft drive and differential. Get a manual regardless. Easier than a top end but still a pain. I sleep better knowing whats on it's way out.

Jugernaut
04-29-2003, 01:07 PM
It's weeping oil from the top part of the seam where the swingarm and the R/G housing bolts up;about a inch foward of the axle breather hose.Now I am hearing a small popping noise sometimes;like when I down shift,but not always.Sometimes when I hit a bump it will do it;I dont think my axle is going south due to the fact when it is jacked up off the ground and spun,it is smooth as silk.Go figure :?: :?:

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2003, 04:40 PM
Mine was smooth and seemed tight, until I went to put in a seal and found the splines to be shot, had to find a good axle and an entire diff.! Especially if your hearing noises just get it apart and check it all out.
Someone on this board broke his drive shaft unexpectadely and it broke his engine casing.