PDA

View Full Version : 185s axle/hub questions

Punchdrunk
04-01-2007, 12:09 PM
I received a half of a (I believe '82) 185s. The front end was cut off from the seat forward. So me and my son (5 years old) decided to build a mini buggy using the motor and rear axle assy. The buggy, in a nutshell, will be a 2 seater with the motor mounted behind the seats. The rear will be a swing arm and front a-arms. So we started fabbing. We got the chassis done and started thinking about how to build a swing arm, using the 185 axle/bearing assy. It ends up the axle is a little to narrow, so this lead me to my questions........Oh yea, I do have 4" wheel spacer now but would like to be 3-6" wider.

First, I would like to use alum. wheels. What lug pattern is a 185? Are there any other hubs that will fit a 185? I would like to have a standard lug pattern maybe 4/110. Would a 250r/300ex hub work?

Second, does anyone make a wider axle for a 185? Or do any other model axles fit the 185 bearing carrier? Maybe something a little more modern/popular that would offer a wider axle?

Sorry, this is a somewhat repetitive question to my pervious post, but I figured if I explained my situation I might get a better answer.

http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/924DSC00369-med.JPG

http://www.glamisdunes.com/photopost/watermark.php?file=500/924DSC00356-med.JPG

Dave223
04-01-2007, 12:16 PM
I posted in the other thread about the extended axles. Maybe consider using a 300ex, 400ex or 450r swinger and axle if your building from scratch. There re lots of parts available on ebay and exriders.com . And the quads I listed all have extended and aftermarket parts available. Just a thought ,Dave

BTW, cool project. If it doesnt have enough power, there are a variety of front sprockets available for the 185 at Dennis Kirk.

Punchdrunk
04-01-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks again, I deleted my other post. I wanted to give a better idea of what I'm trying to accomplish.

We are on a tight budget with this so we are trying our hardest to use what we have or what has been donated to us. If I can't find a way to widen it, I'll build it with what I have and hope for the best.