PDA

View Full Version : my first thread (introduction to my trike)

honda_atc200es
03-31-2007, 09:30 PM
hello, i am new here to 3WW, i purchased a 1984 honda bigred from a friend for $250 a year ago and i am still trying to get it running. last year i bought a new spark plug a new battery and had the carb cleaned and rebuilt costing me about $150. this year i replaced the fuel hose and since then i have gotten it very close to running. what happens when i try to start it is that it wants to turn over, it is burning gas, and the exuahst gets pretty hot after about 3 tries. i have tried pop starting it, pull starting and the electric start. all i get when i pull start it is a couple backfires every 20 pulls. when i pop start it it turns over and dies 5 seconds later. the electric start, the best method out of the 3 will get it to attempt to turn over, if i pull the coke up and start it with abot half throttle and then release the starter i can keep it going for about 10 seconds or so, then it dies. i have not had a professional look at the bike yet, i have very little experience with engines but i do have a fundemental knowledge and i have learned quite alot since i got my trike. i will post a couple pictures of my bike and when i get home i will take some more. if it is possible to post a video i could make a video of me starting the bike to give an idea of what i am trying to explain. i apreciate any help and i am glad to have found this site

Bryan Raffa
03-31-2007, 10:50 PM
:welcome: NY'er :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :beer

ATC-Eric
03-31-2007, 10:51 PM
:welcome: to the boards honda.

I dont know whats causing your problem, but know that someone around here will be able to answer your questions to get you going.

Good luck!

honda_atc200es
03-31-2007, 10:55 PM
thanks, hopefully if i can get it running tomorow i will post some pics of me pullin some wheelies (with a helmet of course (i may only be 14 but im not completely clueless)) im hoping that starter fluid will do the trick, does anyone know if i should go for extra strength or regular?

edog
03-31-2007, 10:56 PM
:welcome: to 3 wheeler world.

ccdhowell
03-31-2007, 11:08 PM
Regular, also maybe take the airfilter off and see if it starts without it. Take the core out of the muffler and see if there is an ovstruction in the exhaust pipe. Sounds like it wants to run, give it a chance man!!!!!!!Chris

team-red-rider
03-31-2007, 11:19 PM
lol hey Jake welcome to 3WW

Liquid-Darkness
03-31-2007, 11:37 PM
Hello there. This board is great. Thats a nice trike.

honda_atc200es
03-31-2007, 11:45 PM
thanks for the warm welcomes this sounds like an awsome forum, and im sure ill be an active member

Eric250R
04-01-2007, 02:58 AM
hmmmmmmmmmm, well I see you cleaned the carb... have you checked the timing ? Sometimes they can be pretty hard to start if they've sit for a long time. Just keep trying. if that doesn't work, have someone look at the timing. And :welcome:

farsighted770
04-01-2007, 04:01 AM
Welcome! im new here too but its all good, seems like a fun place. Enjoy!

tapper190
04-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Welcome! As stated above I would check your timing. Make sure that the piston is at top dead center and the line with the "t" on your flywheel is lined up with your alternator case along with dot on your cam shaft sprocket (dot should be on top). Hope this makes sense.
Tapper

Erics350x
04-01-2007, 08:53 AM
did you clean the petcock out? sounds like its not getting enough fuel to me.

sandpuppi101
04-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Ahhh 14 years old,LOL...That was along time ago,anyways welcome to the Board's. A few things you need to check are 1.Take off the CDI cover under the tank on the left side as you sit on it,that's your pulse generator,make sure your 2 phillips head screws are tight holding down the timing plate,also look in the back of there ,you should see a set of springs on 2 set's of dawg's.opposite one another.Take the plug off the top of the motor just above the flywheel ,in from the recoil..You will need a big regular screw driver to take the plug off.That is to check flywheel poisition ,you will see " F l l T " ,on the flywheel ,now look at your pulse generator again with the flywheel in that position,you will know you are on the top of the stroke ,because the flywheel will typically wanna roll at that position..Make sure your pulse generator is close to the contact point on the base,kinda like point's hitting the breaker..If your mark on the flywheel is lined up and your pulse generator contact is lined up then you should be in the ballgame for it to run.That along with broken springs in that unit seem to be very common problems on those type of motor's.Also check the exhaust for carbon debris,take off the air filter and cup the intake and turn the motor over and feel for suction on intake stroke.I hope I helped ya and did'nt confuse ya ,but you sound smart and it 's relatively easy..Nice machine also..

tapper190
04-01-2007, 09:15 AM
You stated it alot better Sandpuppi! thanks
Tapper

oscarmayer
04-01-2007, 11:06 AM
once you check what sand told ya, you may actually have a electrical issue sometimes the coil or generator can go bad not producing spark or a very weak spark not enough to run. (an old 110 i had did htis till i repalced them both, then VOOM off i went)

honda_atc200es
04-01-2007, 06:08 PM
well, in about 40min i will get to try out all of your suggestions, hopefully my next post will be pictures of me riding :WOOT:

filipinoredneck
04-01-2007, 07:11 PM
:welcome:
You've come to the right place. There's a lot of really good people on this site. You got a really nice bike there. I've going through what you're going through right now.I just got my yamaha somewhat running and I picked up 2 more honda's to work on. But persitence pays off in the end. Keep it up kid. At least you don't have 4 kids asking you everyday when they are gonna ride it.:Bounce If you don't have a manual, get one. It will make a world of difference on understanding things. :beer

honda_atc200es
04-01-2007, 08:16 PM
thanks, in fact i just downloaded a manual from Damnit, should be alot of help, i also went throught a little of a dumb moment, i thought i saw a pic in the manula showing the fuel line going to the side of the carb, but it was just a misinterpritation, and later found gas all over my garage lol