PDA

View Full Version : Buying an 84 atc70. Have Q's

max
03-31-2007, 09:39 AM
I know the basics to look for. But can anyone tell me and thing specific to this bike I should look for. Post up. Im going to look at it in a few hours. Thanks guys appreciate it!!! The bike is suppose to be a 2nd owner and they say its like new. $400 is what they are asking.

hrc200x
03-31-2007, 11:19 AM
Price seems fair. I've heard of the frames bending under the gas tank, you'd think theyd bend downward from large people riding them, but they bend upward, maybe from kids running head on into things. This puts the front tire/fender closer to the motor, so if the fender is hitting the motor, or been removed be aware. I think my '83 has a hole melted in it from the motor, but the distance now seems fine, I'm guessing just they got hung up on a log or a stick pushed the fender into the motor, melting it.

Gas tanks somtimes rust out and get pin holes around the bottom edge. I've seen '73/4's with frame cracks, newer ones were probably improved, but check anyway. See if the oil is clean, smoke upon start up, smoke when hard on the gas, Check skid plate for any major dents, wheel bearings, steering bearings, chain and sprockets, grab bars somtimes get damaged.

max
04-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Havent got out there yet, but I will be going sometime this week. Appreciate the reply.!!

atctim
04-02-2007, 10:05 AM
I have not seen anything common to all 70's that is a problem. Hopefully it will have a rear grab bar (OEM) - if not - those are a really hard part to find.

Good luck with it.