PDA

View Full Version : Help in swapping 85 to 87 250SX please.

Dirtcrasher
04-28-2003, 12:16 PM
Just got 2 more SX's. One is 87, yep frame sticker and all. Rear end is different but diff looks the same. Can that whole swing arm and rear end swap ont an 85 or vice versus?
The motors look identical except that the starter gear housing cover is different. Maybe just the gears or the whole motor??
And the wiring harness especially the CDI caught my eye as being different? Does anyone know if I can us the 87 motor in an 85 chassis with the 85 harness (small changes hopefully) Or do I need to keep the 87 harness to run the 87 motor.
Anyone with experience could you please try to help.
Thank you!!

Dirtcrasher
04-29-2003, 12:13 PM
Now I just noticed one of my 85's has a similar CDI wiring harness to the 87!!??? But the 85 motor is the same as the 2 other 85's???

Howdy have you done the swing arm swap 87 to 85?? Or can you shed any light on this?? The rear diffs look identical. Thank you

I don't know what to do beside just try it. Heck even the 1985 seems to have 2 drive shafts based on serial numbers?? I wouldn't know the difference unless you slapped me with it!!

Is experience the only way??

Howdy
04-29-2003, 04:16 PM
Howdy have you done the swing arm swap 87 to 85?? Or can you shed any light on this?? The rear diffs look identical.

I don't know. I have never swapped one. Sorry!!