PDA

View Full Version : 85 tecate updated pics from winter mods

tecat-z
03-30-2007, 06:31 PM
:pics: Well after riding my tecate all last year including at TF i figured it was time to do the deed. Bring this thing up to its intended potential for performance. Since my chassis and suspension was all done last season, it was now time to focus on power. And let me say right now, i have indeed found it. I assembled a completely new engine using extra cases i had along with all of the best parts from many trannies that i have. New oem rod kit, every bearing supporting trans is new, seals, shift shaft and pawl, 83 kx250 shift star and associated parts. Which gives a much quicker shift with less peddal throw. Then i had the cylinder opened up to 71mm and rechromed with exhaust bridge relieved for expansion. Head was opened up and squish band tailored to crown of piston for better flame travel and less chance of detonation. which now leaves me with 178 psi of cylinder pressure, and is pump gas friendly to boot. I also have the complete 83 kx ignition and flywheel setup so high speed rpm is more consistent and reliable. And an ESR prepped 38mm A/S carb, with necessary airbox mods. No porting has been done on cylinder, so this leaves me room in the future to possibly play with. Let me say that i expected a big jump in power, but this is truly an amazing engine. I came away shaking my head in the difference over last years engine, and how i truly believe that i could now toy with my 2 86 tri-z's. I still have to do fine tuning to get it spot on, and these tecate clutches are still aweful, but for the sand i think this will now be pure enjoyment. Hopefull we'll find out on Good Friday. I've got a couple things still coming so i will post a couple more pics next week. Gotta give a shout out to Ronnie for Makin' me somethin, and to John.:TrikesOwn

ceaserthethird
03-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Awwww ... Look's Great !

How much was the investment ?

ColeTrickle
03-30-2007, 07:45 PM
Wow that rig is sweet. extended swing arm or stock? I see it's liquid cooled, where is the radiator? what type of riding will you do with it?

ccdhowell
03-30-2007, 10:00 PM
Holy cow, that's a nice Tecate. Love to hear about the mods, leaves me thinking what to do next with mine, but I gotta admit, mine is almost too fast for me, yours would be uncontrolable. Would love to see it hammer down going up a big dune. Chris

dirtdog
03-31-2007, 12:41 AM
that is a sweet ride,you have done some very nice work.ddid you have the axle and pipe chromed.they look awesome:drool:

T3 LOPES
04-02-2007, 06:39 AM
Had a blast tearing up the grass field yesterday. These things are so much quicker than before. I'm lovin it. Can't wait to get them tuned in for the sand trip. Hopefuly the weather will cooperate. Looking good Ed. Lopes

digity x
04-02-2007, 06:49 AM
nice these tecates are a great thing thats for sure looking good chief''

scooterroo
04-02-2007, 08:01 AM
liking what you did to it tecat-z, should be an arm puller, hahahaha. sounds like you'll have a runner there. are you running a kx cylinder as well with the kx ignition, or are you using a t3 cylinder? are them duro rear tires? the bike looking good. gotta love these high strung, mean grean machines.

tecat-z
04-02-2007, 09:39 PM
Yeah Scoot, it's a 84kx cylinder.Stock stroke 1mm over, chamfered then re-nicked. It displaces 256.5cc. So it's still extremely revvy compared to very large bore engines. It is extremely responsive on bottom but has lost quite a bit of mid range right up to the point of comin on the pipe. It really reminds me of my yz250 spread of power, very top end oriented. In my estimation it's not a very good setup for general riding or for trails. This is built for one purpose, and thats sand shredding, where sustaind high rpm is the key for going fast. I am going to try and tune in a bit of midrange in the next couple of days and see what happens. I can't stress enough how important a good bottom end is for this state of tune. These generate wayyyy more hp than stock setups. And at a much higher rpm. The kx ignition allows it to peak higher than stock tecate components. The tires are Duros, and seem to work very well during my tuning sessions. But i really got them for the old school look. The swingarm is an old Franks +2. A lucky find about a year ago. Just got a few more items for it today and put them on earlier. When i get a GOOD camera i'll post up some more pics.