PDA

View Full Version : Supertrapp pipe restoration

BigReds Forever
03-30-2007, 02:52 PM
I bought a used supertrapp off of ebay to use on my 200x, (its from a 350x but i can fab it no problem). Got it really cheap. So anyway, it isnt quite as described, it has a few issues. The silencer part just needs some polishing which isnt a problem. But after I get the pipe all worked out, i was gonna have it ceramic coated. Problem is, its rusty and pitted as heck. It was said to be "very sold and would easily accept a weld." The pics also showed none of this rust (as far as i could tell) Well, i know i can weld on it, but the pitting is really bad and im pretty sure that the coating would look like heck. Is there anything i can do to smooth it out, that will stand up to the heat, and accept the coating? If i cant come up with anything, ill just blast it and put a whole bunch of high-temp on it and look for a better one.

xman23
03-30-2007, 02:59 PM
yea mine was alot worse and i welded on mine

SET THE STAGE
03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
making a 350x supertrapp work on a 200x is no problem. i have one on mine, you just need to cut it right where it starts to get a real curve on the pipe, adjust the cone-section a bit so it fits in there alright and it should bolt up fine.

BigReds Forever
03-30-2007, 07:49 PM
Ya, im not having a problem making it fit, im just wondering if theres something that i can use to smooth out the pitted rusty spots so that i can have it ceramic coated and it wont look like crud, or will the ceramic coating fill in all the pores and leave a smooth finish? I KNOW bondo, jb weld, and all that junk wont work, so im wondering if theres some high temp something or another stuff i could use.