PDA

View Full Version : Some Tri Z fine tuning questions

Dynofox
04-28-2003, 11:01 AM
Well I was able to ride my tri Z for the first time over the weekend since I had the suspension completely rebuilt and i'd like to get some tuning tips for the forks. They seem a little soft even with the 15wt fork oil, so I was thinking of adding a little air. My question is how much is safe, I don't want to blow the seals! I don't hit big jumps or anything, i'm just looking for a little firmer ride. What was the stock air screw setting? When I first got my Z it sputtered down low but would clear out on top so I played with the air screw and cleaned up the low end. But then when I got to ride it I noticed now it doesn't like to rev out like it did before I touched the air scew. It does have excellent low end to mid range though. While going through the gears from second to third in the power band the front end lifts right up, (that was a little scary the first time! LOL) Could my problem be caused by the fuel mixture being to rich (klotz 32:1)?

Dynofox
04-28-2003, 11:05 AM
I forgot to mention, the bike starts right up and hasn't fouled a plug yet.

TimSr
04-28-2003, 01:15 PM
Your oil weight is mostly to slow down the rebound, but it also slows (not stiffens) compression. Adding a little air will have the same effect as a stiffer spring. Dont worry about the pressure, because even a couple pounds will make them rock hard. The downside is that yours not really getting much damping effect when you compress air. Also the volume is so small its hard to air up and get them close to even. A better fix is to add a 2" spacer (preload) on top of each spring. PVC works great.

Two strokes have a tendancy to load up under low RPMs. If it seems to clean up after you open it up a bit, you may want to drop the needle (raise the clip) a notch or two. This will lean out the carb at low RPMs but not effect carburetion under open throttle. One easy test is to ride it at half throuttle under load (a higher gear) for about 30 seconds, immediately kill it, and see what the plug looks like.

Jeb
04-28-2003, 01:18 PM
I second the PVC pre-load spacer to stiffen the forks up. The valve caps are really supposed to blead off built up air from the suspension action.

Let us know what you think if you try the spacers.