PDA

View Full Version : My 86 t3 project. (pictures 6-5-07)

Preddy05
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I got this off a board member its in rough shape but i have been lookin for awhile now for a good project bike and now i have one. Let me know what you think...i payed $200 the first 3 pics are the ones he sent me the other 3 i took with my cell phone. I'll try to tear the rest of it down tomorrow so i can start gettin stuff ready for powder coating. motor is in peices missing some parts but over all its what i have been lookin for.

nd4speed
03-28-2007, 09:28 PM
looks like a good start. Have you checked the fork tubes to see if they are straight? Is the axle bent? If not you did better than I did. Hope you bring it back from the dead and don't go broke in the process.

Preddy05
03-28-2007, 09:31 PM
looks like a good start. Have you checked the fork tubes to see if they are straight? Is the axle bent? If not you did better than I did. Hope you bring it back from the dead and don't go broke in the process.

The rear axle is straight. The forks look straight but will know for sure when i finish takin the front end apart.

scooterroo
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
sweet find, not a bad price. was that the one in pennsylvania? is it pretty much complete? another 86 getting saved, :beer !!!! you got a good start there.

Preddy05
03-28-2007, 09:47 PM
sweet find, not a bad price. was that the one in pennsylvania? is it pretty much complete? another 86 getting saved, :beer !!!! you got a good start there.

Yes this is the one from pa right outside of wv, 2hours their 2 hours back not to bad. I won't have it done anytime soon so i won't have it at trike fest...looks like i'll be riding my pred. Never even thought about gettin a kaw until i rode with speedbump a couple times Now i can't wait to get it up and running!

oldskool83
03-28-2007, 10:35 PM
cool trike. i remeber the 1st time i saw a 2nd gen T3, it was at a kawasaki dealer and i thought it was the coolest thing.....i love lime green.

i am sure it will turn out looks really nice.

Preddy05
03-29-2007, 10:38 AM
K time to get some info...
What parts off other bikes will fit this 86 t3?
motor parts from the dirt bike, rear shock, swinger, anything like that
Best place to get parts?
Both tanks i have for it are faded the one that was on it when i got it isn't that bad but the other one someone tyred to paint and looks real bad whats the best way to clean them up? Any info on this bike would be great.

Thanks
Mike

oldskool83
03-29-2007, 10:51 AM
theres one 86 or 87 on ebay with a KX500 motor and shocks.

84honda200s
03-29-2007, 11:03 AM
200 bucks only. not to bad at all. i would buy it for 200 easy.

BigGreenMachine
03-29-2007, 11:22 AM
85/86 KX250 motor will fit. The top end is a bolt on deal for more power. Hubs from a 86/87 200X/300EX/400EX/450R will fit to give you more wheel choices. Gforce makes extended hubs and you can then use with offset wheels to get a really wide T3.

Swingarms your pretty much left to extend your own or ebay an old aftermarket one which goes for a premium price.

Hornetpowersports on the boards makes repo rad shrouds and sells OEM fenders.

Best of luck.

SpeedBump
03-29-2007, 05:28 PM
.....andI gave ya Cory's #. Anyone of the Yamaha hubs will side right on. I got Raptor hubs on mine and I have a set of 8" with Blaster Hubs. If you don't want to swap out entire topends...you can use some of the KX parts in yours. Talk to Cory and he can give ya the info on interchangability. Mik6 got the lowdown on stuff to..Hit him up and check with some of the guys over at www.kawieriders.com. Good score Mike. While you were drivin out to get it, I was busy burning up some 93 octane... :w00t: She's not so NEW now! LOL.

Preddy05
03-29-2007, 08:48 PM
What are all of your opinions? Im not a big fan of how the stock front fender looks on this model so im thinkin about goin with a 250r one but it would have to be a white or black one...If i do that i'll prob get the frame the color of the front fender so it don't stick out so much or if i get a t3 fender i'll prob shave it so its not so big what are all of your thoughts on this? just not sure what way i want to go with it. Keep it stock looking or go with another color (green and what other color black or white?) :wondering

Just gettin some ideas before i send the stuff out and get something i don't want.

BigGreenMachine
03-30-2007, 09:25 AM
PM BigBore here on the boards. He had Maier do a run of green 250R front fenders and still has some left.

Green frame looks awsome on the 86 Tecate IMO, as does white or a really bright silver.

nd4speed
03-30-2007, 10:32 PM
What motor are you looking to put in it?

Preddy05
03-31-2007, 08:21 PM
PM BigBore here on the boards. He had Maier do a run of green 250R front fenders and still has some left.

Green frame looks awsome on the 86 Tecate IMO, as does white or a really bright silver.

Nice to know i'll have to send him a pm and see if he still has some would love one of those! i plan on doin the frame white.

What motor are you looking to put in it?

Plan on fixing the one that came with it unless i find one out of a 86kx or a stock one cheap. Just by lookin at the one that i got its gonna need bore because cylinder is rusted. clutchs none in it right now, new head peice broke off the top not to mention piston rings and who knows what else is wrong with it. But if i fix that one gonna get a big bore kit and p&p while its apart.

Preddy05
04-03-2007, 02:38 PM
Had nothing to do today so i started to clean up the triple tree. I still have to finish the swinger i only did a small part of it to see how it was goin to look i think its gonna look alright. I still have to get other parts ready for powder coating and im suppose to get a 84 t3 roller in couple weeks when my uncle comes back from ohio. can't wait then i'll have another project! :w00t:

Here is a pic. Don't have my dig cam its at my gf house so have to use my cell until i get it back! :beer

SpeedBump
04-03-2007, 05:05 PM
ANOTHER T3? What, tryin to be cool? LOL!!! Keep at it...amazing how much is involved in a resto (or even just getting a old bike up and rideable again.) Gonna do some riding this weekend...IF I get some time. Got a lot on the honey-do list. If you are gonna be around...maybe we can roll for a while. Later

Preddy05
04-03-2007, 07:50 PM
ANOTHER T3? What, tryin to be cool?

Tryin to be....my uncle was back last weekend and said he could get the 84 roller for like $30 i was like sold bring it when you come back again! I should be around this weekend to do some riding what day?

SpeedBump
04-03-2007, 08:20 PM
Oh ya, forgot to tell ya...been offering this 84 T3 frame/front clip to some other guys, but none are in the mood for a big resto. If you wanna come up and grab it...you may get some usable pieces from it. I wanna go out on Saturday for a bit. Prob gonna be cold, but still may hit it. Talk to ya.

Preddy05
04-19-2007, 05:04 PM
This project is moving kinda slow tryin to get it done by trikefest but i don't think i'll have the funds to complete it by then and still have money to go so if i don't i'll be trikeless at trikefest. :cry: So far most of the parts are cleaned up Just recived my green 250r fender for it from bigbore i love it! Cleaned up the gas tank i'll never get it the original green but oh well im only goin to beat this anyway. Got new fork boots and have a kx500 motor coming from BGM! i'll post some more pics when i get the motor should be a couple days.

Craig let me know when your goin to be home if you still have that 84 frame i'll come over and pick it up if you don't want it. I should be gettin mine this weekend.

SpeedBump
04-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Craig let me know when your goin to be home if you still have that 84 frame i'll come over and pick it up if you don't want it. I should be gettin mine this weekend.

project looks good so far. Big 500...nice! :w00t:

You can come over anytime and grab it. I should be home after 5 Tomorrow, then all weekend...unless I'm out riding or here or there. The frame is back behind the fence..if I'm not around, just let the wife know, and grab it. No probs. Later.

cr480r
04-19-2007, 06:52 PM
Got new fork boots and have a kx500 motor coming from BGM!

Excellent choice... If some is good...more is better...

Preddy05
04-26-2007, 11:03 PM
This is all i have done so far. Just have the tank sitting on it to see how its goin to look. The frame in the pictures almost looks purple but its a dark blue was going to do it white but didn't want it to look like the others i have been seeing. Got New front & rear sprockets, hand grips and handlebar pad today. have to drill out the holes in bottom tripple (three bolts are broke off inside it) so i can bolt up the front fender. Should be ordering swingarm kit for it this week so i can start puttin the backend on it. still waitin on the motor but once it gets here i'll tear it down rebuild it and by that time should have most of the stuff done. Won't be as nice looking as i want it to be but just tryin to get it ready to ride for trikefest.

BigGreenMachine
04-26-2007, 11:15 PM
Looking good. You'd be wize to go with Gforce extended hubs for a 400EX and offset 8x8 inch rims to get that sucker wide.

cr480r
04-27-2007, 02:53 AM
You'd be wize to go with Gforce extended hubs for a 400EX and offset 8x8 inch rims to get that sucker wide.

That would be sweet...

scooterroo
04-27-2007, 07:18 AM
400ex hubs fit the tecate axle? sweet. would it be better to go with them or wheels extenders? preedy the t3 i looking good, im liking the blue. going with the 500 in it, nice. was gonna go with the 500 for mine but i figured it wouldnt be as ridable on the trails around here. so i am going with the 250, maybe someday i will go with a 500. you gonna get a tank skin for it, or you going to try and paint the tank? or just leave it like it is? doesnt look to bad from the pics. keep us posted on your progress.

BigGreenMachine
04-27-2007, 11:54 AM
The hubs add 3 1/2 inches total. Throw in some offset wheels and your sitting pretty with no annoying wheel spacers to install. I'm hoping to go this route some time. Maybe use the T4 axle with the hubs. You'd have a pretty sweet rear end for a Tecate.

http://www.rockymountainatv.com/vehicleSelectProd.do#vehicleSelect

Parts started showing up for my rebuild today. Ordered a fresh crank last night from Corey. Hoping to break down the trike for paint this week.

James

scooterroo
04-27-2007, 12:26 PM
sweet james, post us up soem pics when you get them. what color scheme you going with?

BigGreenMachine
04-27-2007, 01:20 PM
I'll make another thread when I get all my parts, just some nicnacs.

Preddy05
04-27-2007, 02:19 PM
you gonna get a tank skin for it, or you going to try and paint the tank? or just leave it like it is? doesnt look to bad from the pics. keep us posted on your progress.

For now its goin to stay how it is. Tryin to just get it up and running for trikefest but doing so i keep takin money out of my trikefest funds haha. But after trikefest im goin to finish everything how i want it. i'll try to find a skin for the tank but if not guess i'll have to paint it.

scooterroo
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
yeah, next time i see one availible i will probably grab one. i painted both my tanks, did many hours of prep work on them, and they come out nice, but a little off on color. was thinking of coating the inside of the tank as well, but if find a skin i wont bother. dang i wish i could make it there this year, sounds like all the t3's are coming to represent this year. well in the words of last year, theres always next year, lol.

SpeedBump
04-27-2007, 05:40 PM
Looks good Mike. Keep at it. Gonna be hittin up the Tri-County Poker Run Sunday...you in? Gimme a call, and that 84 is STILL here...better get it before spring clean-up, the wife is looking for stuff to add to the "PILE"!

BigGreenMachine
04-27-2007, 07:23 PM
I can give some first hand info on painting the dreaded plastic tanks. First of all plastic tanks Do not breathe. Like was said before they have a vent in the top. Plastic is not smooth. Plastic tanks are a different plastic than the fenders, It is ploy-styrene. Is has pores all over it. These small pores do not go all the way through it. LIke was said before those pores will collect mold release agents from when the tank was formed and also fuel, armor all, soap, wax, or dirt. Anything that comes in contact with the tank.

The tank needs to be sanded with at least 320 grit paper on a d.a. and all the edges scuffed with a red sctoch brite. Then, bake that tank in the hot summer sun for a while, placing the tank in front of a heater will work also. It just opens the pores up a little more so its easier for the cleaners to remove all the chemicals that may be hiding in there. there is a lot of good info in previous posts, I am just putting them in the order That I use. Then use a good plastic cleaner and go over the whole tank. I actually use two different kinds of cleaners. I use mainly DuPont products but most good quality products do the job the same. TAKE YOUR TIME, plastic is no job to rush. Get some tech sheets from your paint guy, They explain how to use the products in detail.

I use a dupont adhesion promoter. Probably close to the same general thing as the bulldog. Just a light covering coat, too much product on there and it loses its adhesion quality. The adhesion is a real thin product that you spray right out of the can. what you dont use, dump it back in the can and use it next time.

Next just follow through with your sealer, basecoat, then clear. i always mix a small amount of flex additive in with the sealer and then also in the final clear. If you want any more info, just ask. I have done plenty of these, The key is you need to know what you are doing and take your time. The paint has been on my first tank for over a year now, fuel in the tank. and no problems. :beer

Heres a pic of Greenlightening's custom painted Tecate. Never lined a tank and no bubbling.

cr480r
04-28-2007, 03:57 AM
400ex hubs fit the tecate axle? sweet.

Just the '86-'87 axles...

Preddy05
04-28-2007, 07:42 AM
Looks good Mike. Keep at it. Gonna be hittin up the Tri-County Poker Run Sunday...you in? Gimme a call, and that 84 is STILL here...better get it before spring clean-up, the wife is looking for stuff to add to the "PILE"!

I work this weekend or i would be there! Had quad problems last time we were gonna go riding (oil on air filter don't ask its a polaris! had a really nice bog to it) when i went out there they said you already came out and left! i'll be getting up around three today so should i stop over say around four thirty and pick that up?

Preddy05
05-02-2007, 04:42 PM
Here it is as of right now. Still have to order some parts before i get it up and rolling. Let me know what you think so far.

BigGreenMachine
05-02-2007, 04:51 PM
OMF That front fender looks beautiful!!

Your shock linkage is on upside down and backwards.

Preddy05
05-02-2007, 05:14 PM
OMF That front fender looks beautiful!!

Your shock linkage is on upside down and backwards.

Its on the right way...just won't stay up right until i get everything bolted to it bearings let it flip upside down.
OH and i have to agree i love the look of the front fender

BigGreenMachine
05-02-2007, 07:26 PM
Yup great choice on the front fender. Definately a better look then the stocker.

What else do you have planned for it besides the 500 swap?

scooterroo
05-02-2007, 07:42 PM
damn i love the look af that fender over the stocker. much slimmer. looking good preddy. like the blue frame.

3Wheelers4Life
05-02-2007, 09:00 PM
looks great so far keep going

Preddy05
05-03-2007, 04:53 PM
Yup great choice on the front fender. Definately a better look then the stocker.

What else do you have planned for it besides the 500 swap?

I would have alot more plans for it but trying to keep this a low priced project (under $2000). Right now i have more money in bearings and seals then i do the roller. I'll prob. keep it stock this year beat it and go from there. Plan on tryin to get the rear shock from my predator to bolt on don't look like it will be to hard to do.

BigGreenMachine
05-03-2007, 04:56 PM
Oh yeah? Well let I know on the pred shock fitment. I hear ya on the costs, no trouble to lose focus and splurge on the parts you want.

Preddy05
06-05-2007, 04:19 PM
Its up and rolling have those back tires and rims on it for now so i can move it around but they will be coming off. still goin to get tank cover, seat cover, number plate, Decals, rear shock and some other odds and ends. Never got my motor from BGM yet had some shipping problems so When thats taken care of i'll get it up and rideable. Wanted to have it done for TF but that don't seem like its goin to happen now. here are some pics

Preddy05
06-05-2007, 04:23 PM
couple pictues of it with back fenders and seat sittin on it.

SpeedBump
06-05-2007, 05:38 PM
Looks good...Keep at it.