PDA

View Full Version : Fuel tank opinions needed.

malcolmlandry
03-28-2007, 09:39 AM
The tank on my 350X is shot. I am trying to decide what kind of replacement to use (plastic vs oem steel). How do the plastic tanks look and function? The stock tank is a well made piece and I doubt the plastic versions look as good. Looking on ebay it seems a decent metal tank is pretty expensive by the time it is shipped and you still can't be sure you won't have leak isssues. I see you can get a clarke tank for $160.00 shipped. Opinions please.

SYKO
03-28-2007, 09:50 AM
I can repair your tank I've done dammits! and I have liquid darkness's here now, both are 350x's liquids is in BAD shape, I had a setback and couldnt get it done that fast but have since restarted on it and plan on painting it later this week or weekend heres the thread on dammits tank:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=61258

pm if your interested in me doing the tank

brrcuda
03-28-2007, 10:14 AM
I put a red clarke tank on my 86 350x and am very happy with it. If you ride hard, you will damage the metal tank with your knees eventually. It was very tight fit but with a little persuation - it mounts OK.

The red is not the same as hondas red but looks good with white plastics/shrouds. I heard the white plastic tanks yellow and look cruddy after a while.

Now i don't worry about damaging the tank on trails - its nice. My metal tank is put away for safe keeping.

Liquid-Darkness
03-28-2007, 03:02 PM
Skyo, aka Alan does the best work on metal fuel tanks I have ever seen. I will post after pics when he finishes mine. I must say though, I had a Clarke desert tank on my first 350x. That thing held lots of fuel. I like stock though, but I would defenitly use a Clarke fuel tank any day.

malcolmlandry
03-29-2007, 02:39 AM
Where can we get the best price on a plastic tank? I would like a white one. Does it really fade bad enough to make the choice unacceptable? Thanks.

ScottZJ
03-29-2007, 07:35 AM
I have a used one (plastic tank) in really good shape that I would sell for what I paid for it 52$ plus shipping. I can get a pic of it, if you are interested in it.