PDA

View Full Version : The one thing I hate about 3 wheelers

brrcuda
03-27-2007, 05:48 AM
every time I go riding in the mud, that damn front tire kicks up all the water either in my goggles from the front or splashes my legs on the sides, that i am completely covered in water/mud during a simple ride. I look at the 4 wheeler guys going through the same terrain and they are almost completely dry.

Thats the only thing i hate about the tres wheelers. I had to say it cause thats all i could think about while mudding yesterday. i hads to ride standing up most of the time to keep the water out of my goggles.

I understand the need for the front fender extender but if they weren't so ugly - i would get one.

oscarmayer
03-27-2007, 08:48 AM
yea but when your riding, what's the fun in not getting drity? that's part of riding!!! if your not all muddy, then you didn't ride ;)

Liquid-Darkness
03-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I noticed my 350x likes to spit little bits of sand or mud when I am riding in wet conditions. It usually gets through the mud+water well. Its my rear tires that seems to get me the most filthy.

250rAL
03-27-2007, 09:22 AM
I've never understood the mud riding mentality. You and your clothes get filthy and it's hard on the machine. I'd rather do something challenging then go back and forth spinning my tires in the mud.

firefirefire90
03-27-2007, 09:28 AM
I guess that is why Honda made the Hondaline Fender extensions. I finally understand them!

thefox
03-27-2007, 09:39 AM
every time I go riding in the mud, that damn front tire kicks up all the water either in my goggles from the front or splashes my legs on the sides, that i am completely covered in water/mud during a simple ride. I look at the 4 wheeler guys going through the same terrain and they are almost completely dry.

Thats the only thing i hate about the tres wheelers. I had to say it cause thats all i could think about while mudding yesterday. i hads to ride standing up most of the time to keep the water out of my goggles.

I understand the need for the front fender extender but if they weren't so ugly - i would get one.

lol, I say the same thing about quads :lol: . Really though, I agree but that is just part of the design. You alos have to look at the trpe of quad and trike being used, are you talking sport style , utility style or one of each?

ColeTrickle
03-27-2007, 10:00 AM
Hi brrcuda,
What I've found with riding 3-wheelers in the mud and water is that the erea you have that is safe from the mud is a lot smaller so you really have to hug the thing. Also when you go through water the front tire acually pushes water into the path of the rears where-as on a quadriplegic ,I mean four wheeler, the fronts clear a path for the rear. I try to make sure the front is light and the power is on and I'm tucked up into her. If you forget to gas it coming into to puddles then the rear tires slosh huge amounts on water onto the back of your calves and feet. I'll ride all day in the mud and water and it depends on how well I do picking my lines and staying on the TWIST throttle:w00t: as to how muddy or wet I get.:cool:

brrcuda
03-27-2007, 10:12 AM
fox -this is my 350x i am talking about. The 350 has the smallest front fender too. But my tri-z is nearly as bad.

Dracula - where are you in NH? Lets go riding.

ColeTrickle
03-27-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm 20min south of Keene with all kinds of riding here. Trails, mx track and pits. Where are you? I ride right from my house, no worries.

brrcuda
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
I'm 20min south of Keene with all kinds of riding here. Trails, mx track and pits. Where are you? I ride right from my house, no worries.

I am in Weare NH - about 40 minutes north of Keene. Let me know if you want to go sometime. I go back to western MASS alot and go through keene all the time.

ceaserthethird
03-27-2007, 10:43 AM
Yeah I feel the Same way ... those Quads don't get as Dirty in the mudd !

Last time i went out riding my goggles were coverd in Mudd Couldn't See a dam thing ...

It's a total PAIN !

Mobular
03-27-2007, 11:27 AM
Wear a set of gaiters. They'll keep your legs pretty clean.

dame_bramage
03-27-2007, 12:50 PM
if you dont like getting wet or muddy then you need to find a different riding style, im sorry to say. i gave up on mine and just ripped the fenders off, have to say ive never had less then at least an inch of mud on me or my trike, and i love it.
Comming home muddy is the only way of truly knowing that you had a good time.

cr480r
03-27-2007, 09:24 PM
After my old roomate wrecked my tecate I tried to ride with no front fender.... Didn't work out very well... I ended up zip-tying on a modified plastic flower pot just so I could ride the thing... IMO 2,3,and 4 wheelers all have their strong points... Thats why I have one of each...

ColeTrickle
03-27-2007, 09:50 PM
I usually mess with anyone that rides a fourwheeler just because I never really did and it's always fun to pick on the "other guys". I do own a 97 Fourman and that thing will creep along in almost any terrain, and it will move along pretty good too. But I feel much more in control of my three-wheeler with the pivot in the middle of the front. Also the only way to get through a really gnarley mud hole on my Tri-z is to blitz it, and boy the mud can fly. P.S. some of the best things in life are messy.:naughty:

350XJEDI
01-14-2011, 12:48 PM
I love the mud but hate the cleaning needed after the trike is caked but muddy trails are all there is right now unless you go way up to the snow!trailprotrailprotrailpro to cold was aready a little damp from the mud . hate the ceaning not the trike

atctim
01-14-2011, 01:00 PM
FYI - regarding the 350X - it is not that the fender is really any smaller - but rather the leading front axle. I went ahead and put a 350X fender extender on my 350X rider - and oh what a difference it has made. My riding buddy actually bolted an old car mudflap to the front of his front fender on his X and it made a big difference too.

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 01:15 PM
Seeing is the most difficult part. Tear off's are good for racing, but man, will cost you $20 to make it to the river and back, lol. Don't like it, but accepted being muddy and wet, MT is a moist state, no gettin' around the conditions were ya live. I carry a bandanna in my pocket or paper towels and wipe, wipe, wipe the goggles so I can see. Know it scratches the lens (spares are cheap), but riding has some casualties, lol.

Mr_RPM
01-14-2011, 01:21 PM
I have never had a problem with mud on my 110 when it comes to the front tire. Big fender with big tire.

But the rears suck. Mud comes threw from under the fender by the peg and if you really get the tires spinning in thick stuff it will shoot up just past the fender flares and land right on top of ya.

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 01:48 PM
^Mr_RPM is right, daughters 125m is not as bad, but the big tire on my Tecate is a soaker, lol, my son's 200x with a 250r front fender and skinnier mud tire is not even as bad as the Tecate.

Xpress
01-14-2011, 01:54 PM
I find it helps to have a front fender, and get on the rears more when going through mud :)

inv3ctiv3
01-14-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll never understand mudding, seems so trashy and boring.

fabiodriven
01-14-2011, 05:02 PM
I'll never understand mudding, seems so trashy and boring.

Says the four wheeled wonder.

Xpress
01-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Who is a 4 wheeler advocate...

inv3ctiv3
01-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Of course I'm a 4-wheeled advocate, I can't race 3-wheelers so I had to get a quad. I never said anything about quads, you guys brought that up I think mudding is trashy and boring in anything (truck, trick, quad, etc). To me it takes little to no skill, maybe once you get into competing it's hard but I rather go on a trail ride or MX race then just try to make it though some mud....MX and trail riding is the F1 of offroad and mudding is the nascar of offroad in my opinion.

hang&rattle
01-14-2011, 10:14 PM
I don't go mudding, it's just muddy where I have to go.:cool:

TatTooL23
01-15-2011, 08:35 AM
Oh man what a stupid thing to say about mudding sorry man but come on, u gotta be that guy? What If others don't like riding around in a circle for lap after lap? Mudding is just another part of it, if u don't like it then big deal. Thats your opinion and ONLY that. Now back to topic since there always has to be that one person.....

It's definitely true for me, the front tire really gets me dirty. My goggles r always covered. The front tire throws the water and mud up in front, then u drive into it. As for mudding though I usually try to take the easiest way through or go around at first during the beginning of a ride. Half way through I give up and just ride. Lol. It is a lot of fun. When u make it through some holes it's a sense of accomplishment when u get out the other side. I don't necessarily search for mudding but hey when u ride trails it finds u and u deal with it.

Also it's so funny for whoever stated that it takes no skill to go mudding. Lol. Y people decide to act like that on forums I'll never understand. It's like once they're behind their keyboard they feel the need to be badass and above all. Ahh it's entertainment I guess.

MrPretty
01-15-2011, 10:34 AM
Its not that I like to go mudding, its just that the trails are a different type of ride after it rains. It makes it a different experience. Mostly it just gets mud all over my feet, it gets on the rest of me too, just not as bad as it does on my feet.

http://i964.photobucket.com/albums/ae129/xMrPrettyx/IMG_1408-1.jpg?t=1295101980

fugget1
01-17-2011, 10:16 PM
I used to get really upset by this, to the point where I actually epoxied pieces of wiper blade to the index finger of my left glove so I could clean the goggles easier! I also went out and bought the cheapest rainsuit I could find. Easy in and easy out. Plus when you wash her off you stay dry too!

bugler30
01-18-2011, 12:41 AM
whats bad is a FL250 odyssey without front fenders, fun but very messy. On my 350x I notice I get hit in the leg alot when I'm in wet sand, especially if I'm sliding the rearend around but not too much problem off the frontend. Its one thing I like about the Big Reds, nice big fenders and mudflaps keep you fairly clean. I don't mind getting dirty, I just don't like being wet. (thats what she said :lol: )