PDA

View Full Version : 85-86 tanks-difference?

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 04:50 PM
I just purchased a IMS fuel cell, ordered it through ROCKY MTN ATC/MC.Looked great put all the hardware on, mounted it, it isnt the same as what I had on there--GRRRRR-IS THERE A DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THEM OR DID i HAVE A 86 on a 85 by chance?
The tank I have new is recessed by the shrouds, the tank I had when purchased is not recessed, is that a 86?

Dammit!
03-25-2007, 04:53 PM
Did you not intend to buy a desert tank? If you want one shaped like stock go with the Clarke. IMS makes large capacity desert tanks.

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 04:56 PM
DAMMIT-(no pun intended)I didnt know that!!!Is there anything I can do know as far as using the stock shrouds with this tank?Also, the seat doesnt match up well either to the tank, have you ever had this trouble before?They do not list them as DESERT TANKS in there catalog-man, thank goodness I didnt call them to *Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited**Edited*-they screwed up my order already and sent me rims with a 4/110 bolt after I had ordered 4-130 for mt Odyssey-LOL.

Dammit!
03-25-2007, 05:49 PM
The shrouds should fit fine. Got any pics of what's going on?

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 06:25 PM
I'll post tomorrow, just left there.The shrouds I have do not fit the new tank, they bolted right up to the old tank with no problems, due to the desert tanks recess where the shroud bolt in on the side of the tank, they seem to need a "spacer" or something to bolt in-does the desert tank have any differences in the 85 to 86 years by chance-or all they the same?The stock tank doesnt have such a severe recess like this one has.Heres the ROCKY MTN catalog picture, see how the tank is recessed in considerable by the bolt holes for the shrouds-the stock 1 doesnt have such a drastic recess making the shroud install much easier.
http://www.rockymountainatv.com/viewLargerImage.do?prodImage=i/ims_07_122218r.jpg

deathman53
03-25-2007, 06:46 PM
I had a desert tank, the stock shrouds went on fine. They didn't fit quite right. I put on maier shrouds and they fit better.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/deathman53/250r-8.JPG.html

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Are those 86 shrouds or 85?Also, where the seat meets the tank, mine is recessed alittle was/is yours the same?That tank pictured is a IMS not a Clarke?Forgive me, but my tank looks to be recessed more in shroud area than yours pictured, that tank looks identical to what I removed-HMMMM.
I looked at more of your pictures of your ride(sweet BTW) and the tank you have pictured is what I removed for replacement-your shrouds do not have the top bolt on them like mine do, so I am guessing you have 86's-mine is a 85 -BTW I live like 1/2 hr away from you right up 287 north-we should ride sometime in the future!!

ChrisD
03-25-2007, 07:40 PM
The tank in the picture is the desert tank. I just got one for my woods bike for the long rides in PA.

Dammit!
03-25-2007, 08:02 PM
Will Rocky Mountain let you return the tank for a refund? If you're going for a stock look the CLarke tanks are what you want and they're cheaper too. About $150 brand new on ebay.

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 08:09 PM
I am sure they will, I purchased it with the same intentions as the previous poster, for the long rides in PA where the extra fuel is handy.I would like to keep it and use the shrouds --I may just be too new to the 250r to understand whats needed here(lol), the old shrouds fit flush on the sides of the old Clarke tank, with the desert tank do the shrouds just mount up to the holes provided, theres no mods that I missed-aka no directions?I did try to mount them and they do not line up correctly to the mounts in the new tank,(the top mount on the top of the fuel cell to be exact) I could mount them with a mod or 2-is that generally the thing that done on this?

Dammit!
03-25-2007, 08:45 PM
Did you move the mounting hardware over from your old tank to the new one? The shrouds only bolt directly to the tank in two places. The very top mount is a little L shaped bracket that bolts to the tank and then to the shroud.

deathman53
03-25-2007, 09:03 PM
Those pictures are old. I am building another atc250r w/ custom frame, 450r- nerf bars, brake pedal, master cylinder, cr250 inverted forks and custom tripples. I have put black plastics on it. It had a short track kit on it for some time, it got changed to black short track tank. My 200x has more to it also. Also the motor on the atc250r changed, its now a 310pv, pt hi-rev, cr250r reeds, 39 pwk, +1 swinger, lt450r rear tires(on hypers), douglas front rim, elka rear shock, flexx-bar handle bars, terry cable dual gasser. It handles like its on rails, compared to the bike in the picture I posted. I go riding with graveland at his house(farm) often in hillsborough, pm him about maybe going there. I have another quad and dirtbike not in my pictures either. I might be going to rausch creek next weekend, they allow trikes. Let me know if you want to go, pm me for more details.

deathman53
03-25-2007, 09:04 PM
that tank is a Ims tank and those are maier shrouds. It recessed in about 1". Its bigger than it looks.

mudbogger
03-25-2007, 09:22 PM
Did you move the mounting hardware over from your old tank to the new one? The shrouds only bolt directly to the tank in two places. The very top mount is a little L shaped bracket that bolts to the tank and then to the shroud.
I did, yup.The problem is when you bolt the shroud to the tank, the top bolts do not line up at all, and the mount on the rad bracket is too far away as well,I'll need to post pictures I think that will help greatly here.
The recessed area on this tank which is where the shrouds bolt to directly is probably 2 inches recessed back min, does that sound correct to you guys?I am hoping that mabye I am just missing a bracket or hardware that didnt come with the tank, but after your explanation I guess thats incorrect,I apprec the help guys

Dammit!
03-26-2007, 03:04 AM
Just post up some pics. We'll get it figured out.

350xBomb
03-26-2007, 06:24 AM
Is the tank for an 85/86 X or R? I only ask cause 350X is all you have listed as bikes you own. No R. And that is a pic of an R 4.0 gal tank. Speaking of which I better update my bikes owned bein that I havent had the X for almost 8 months now(damn now my Login makes no sense :wondering).

mudbogger
03-26-2007, 05:06 PM
I'll do that, seems the easiest thing to do right?

mudbogger
03-26-2007, 05:35 PM
Is the tank for an 85/86 X or R? I only ask cause 350X is all you have listed as bikes you own. No R. And that is a pic of an R 4.0 gal tank. Speaking of which I better update my bikes owned bein that I havent had the X for almost 8 months now(damn now my Login makes no sense :wondering).
Hi, yes it is for my new 250r I just bought not the 350x.I wish I had known the desert tanks where only with IMS-DUH.

mudbogger
03-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Heres the pictures of that tank, after some minor trimming of them they finally fit.Is the recess in this tank correct?

Dammit!
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
Looks right to me. What did you have to trim?

Edit: if those are OEM shrouds with no cracks, do yourself a favor and take them off there and get some Maiers. Damn OEM shrouds crack so easy it's ridiculous.

mudbogger
03-28-2007, 09:18 PM
Looks right to me. What did you have to trim?

Edit: if those are OEM shrouds with no cracks, do yourself a favor and take them off there and get some Maiers. Damn OEM shrouds crack so easy it's ridiculous.

Yes the are OEM, have the Honda numbers right on the back of them, I had to lightly trim the fins on the inside where they meet the rad supports, you know what I mean?There are 3 of them on the inside of the shroud, just 1 side I had to trim, the other fit well.
I will take your advice and order a set of Maiers tonight-thanks for the help, I do apprec it greatly.:D