PDA

View Full Version : Son's Tri-Zinger-Need Help Guys

bigreddaddy
03-24-2007, 09:58 PM
I took my son's '86 tri-zinger out from under the carport for him to ride now that its warmer.
Last time it ran was xmas. Got it started but it kept quitting. Took the carb off and found that it wasn't getting gas. Cleaned the carb. It fired right up and idled great. About 20 minutes later after telling my boy it was ready to ride, it won't start. It has real good spark, but installed new plug anyway, air filter fell apart in my hands, so no filter for now, checked carb several times, installed new fuel filter and it is getting gas, float seemed a little sticky but it doesn't have any holes.
I worked my ass off all day and still couldn't get it to fire back up. Yes I checked that the Start switch was on. The carb will start to drip gas out the overflow hose after a few minutes if not running. It has always done this though and always ran fine.
I have fuel, have spark, and have air. What am I missing?

team-red-rider
03-24-2007, 10:08 PM
DO NOT RUNIT WITH OUT A FILTER !!!it wont run with out one anyways

bigreddaddy
03-24-2007, 10:21 PM
DO NOT RUNIT WITH OUT A FILTER !!!it wont run with out one anyways

I WASN'T running it without a filter. I tried GETTING it running without one. In fact I even tried using a sock at the top of the air box.

team-red-rider
03-24-2007, 10:24 PM
oh ok im sorry.

bigreddaddy
03-24-2007, 10:40 PM
I appreciate your help man, I just don't know why I couldn't get it started again. As for the air filter, I'll have to search to see who has one and I really need a carb kit and new float.
Anyone know who sells parts for a zinger? I tried Dennis Kirk but I couldn't find anything.

team-red-rider
03-24-2007, 10:49 PM
pw 50 parts are the same

TimSr
03-24-2007, 11:53 PM
I appreciate your help man, I just don't know why I couldn't get it started again. As for the air filter, I'll have to search to see who has one and I really need a carb kit and new float.
Anyone know who sells parts for a zinger? I tried Dennis Kirk but I couldn't find anything.

In Dennis Kirk you can buy a sheet of Uni foam, and cut your own filter. The Zinger is easy because its just a wrap around, and yes, it WILL run without an air filter. :crazy:

Im not sure why it wont start, but I know a couple of things to check. Since your carb drips, your flaost are not shutting the gas all the way off. This may have caused you to flood the crank. Ive never seen it happen on a Zinger, but Ive had a TriZ fill it self up with gas, past the piston, and down into the crank. The float drip may be clue in this direction. The next check I mention can also check this as well. Zingers are well known for exhaust clogging and obstruction. Take the whole exhaust completely off, and then try to start it. Also look to see if its blowing gas out when you pull the rope. If the crank is flooded, this will be a sure sign.

Also, recheck the pilot jet for obstruction. Even though you just cleaned it, it may have sucked filter chunks in there. The pilot is critical on the Zinger, because of the start switch system electrical. It wont start with the throttle open, so the pilot jet must be clear.

bigreddaddy
03-26-2007, 12:56 AM
I appreciate the info Tim. I'm going to go through the carb again tomorrow, and do the checks you stated.
Also, I noticed after cranking and cranking, I saw gas coming out of the rear of the carb into the air box. Ideas?

Vealmonkey
03-26-2007, 02:47 AM
The only place I ever found carb parts, even for the jets and such, was at the yamaha dealer.

bigreddaddy
03-26-2007, 08:43 PM
Well the exhaust is definitely the problem. I took it off and it fired right up. The exhaust is very dirty. I know I can't run it without a muffler, so what can I do to break up all the junk in the exhaust?

TimSr
03-26-2007, 10:13 PM
Well the exhaust is definitely the problem. I took it off and it fired right up. The exhaust is very dirty. I know I can't run it without a muffler, so what can I do to break up all the junk in the exhaust?

Took me a while to find this link! Read my post in this thread for an easy fix.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=35532&highlight=drill+exhaust

Vealmonkey
03-27-2007, 04:20 AM
Get yourself the DG nationals exhaust for the zinger, it will be a major improvement. Don't forget your boysen reeds too!

bigreddaddy
03-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I drilled the pipe and she was running fine, until I killed it then tried to start it. I went through the carb 2 more times, and I guess it's the float giving me problems because of the flooding.
Anyone have a carb, carb kit and/or float for a zinger? I've got to get this thing running for my boy!

bigreddaddy
03-28-2007, 11:57 PM
Can anyone tell me if the PW50 carb is exactly the same as the zinger? Does it have the auto oil injection?

Vealmonkey
03-29-2007, 01:39 AM
I did away with the auto injector on the zinger and just premixed. The only place for carb parts is the dealer. No kits anywhere. I've seen several of the oil injectors fail and figured it would just be cheaper to disable it from the beginning and premix. With premix, if you have gas, you have oil, no worries.

traxxasx
03-29-2007, 03:39 AM
yea oil injectors are a gamble on a old bike if you ask me, save a piston and premix it, just cut and plug off the oild limes and you will be fine. Also Take your float out and let it sit in some water if it sinks you got a hole in it, if not take all the peices and soak it in some chem b12 overnight. BUT TAKE ANY PLASTIC RUBBER OR ANYTHIING NOT METAL OUT THE CHEM B12 that stuff will eat it away but its safe for the metal and brass parts.

bigreddaddy
03-29-2007, 09:10 PM
Will the PW50 carb bolt right on?

team-red-rider
03-29-2007, 09:13 PM
yepp direct bolt on!

TimSr
03-29-2007, 09:35 PM
I drilled the pipe and she was running fine, until I killed it then tried to start it. I went through the carb 2 more times, and I guess it's the float giving me problems because of the flooding.
Anyone have a carb, carb kit and/or float for a zinger? I've got to get this thing running for my boy!

You dont need a carb "kit", and probably dont need a float. Its easy enough to check. Submerge them in gas for a couple hours, and then shake them and see if they have gas in them, or if they fill up and sink. If they dont leak, the most common cause is the float height adjustment or float needle and seat. I dont think the needle seat is replaceable on that carb if I rember right, but the float needle is. Take the bottom off the carb, hook teh gas line up, and turn it on. Gas will pee out the bottom. Lift the floats with your fingers and see if they shut it off. If they dont, the needle needs replaced. If they do, the shutoff height is probably set too high, and the bowl wont get full enough to shut them off. I dont remebr that carb, but there is usually a tab to bend upwards to shut gas off sooner.

bigreddaddy
03-29-2007, 10:06 PM
If I use the carb I have I will need a kit as there are 2 parts missing. The float works but is in bad shape.
The main nozzle and the pilot jet are missing according to the diagram in the manual.