PDA

View Full Version : 200s recoil rebuild

Frankencelery
03-24-2007, 12:12 AM
I just bought a 200s engine for my Auto-X project. Actually, I'm calling it my Auto-X experiment, because I'm doing it on my buddy's 200X. Nice of me, eh? His engine needs rebuilt, so I'm putting in the S engine and see how I like it. If it's as cool as I think it will be, I'll be looking for a rolling frame with a bad or missing engine to do one of my own.

But I digress. My question is that the engine I bought has a missing decompression cable. Hey no problem, says I, and I bought a cable on ebay. Not so simple, because there's other parts missing. There's a plastic thing with a bunch of channels and grooves inside the case, but no spring or other hardware. Is there a rebuild kit for the decompression part? I looked at the breakdown on Service Honda and it looks like I've got a bunch of parts missing. How hard is this to rebuild?

dooner17
03-24-2007, 02:33 AM
Good luck. My recoil wasnt working properly so I removed everything to do with the decompression mechanism. Worked perfect ever since I dont really see the need for it. If you have to you can manually put it on.

Frankencelery
03-24-2007, 02:45 AM
Yeah, on the 185 we had a couple years ago that had the decompression cable removed, I broke the rope once and threw my shoulder out a couple of times. If they've got good compression, they're really a bear to pull. Could be I'm just a wimp though. Either way, I decided that wasn't for me.

traxxasx
03-24-2007, 03:14 PM
ALl you do is pull the rope till the piston is tdc and has completed the compression stroke the give her a rip.

trikes4life
03-24-2007, 05:43 PM
Dude i know what your are going to go through. Its going to take some looking to find if your willing,(honda might have them some where) u need the spring and the clip. My honest opion is to find a 200m or 200e head and use the manual deompression, flip the switch before before u give her a ripp. in stead of having it on the recoil. if you need pics some one will help.

350Kris
03-24-2007, 08:43 PM
I have the same problem. There are two things I'm going to do to fix it...

1) I'm going to mount a manual decompression lever (like a hot start lever) on the handle bars in a place where I can pull the recoil and hold the lever at the same time.

2) I'm going to plug the decompression slot in the recoil and get a Goki electric starter.

Hope this helps.