PDA

View Full Version : 350X Crate Motor

350Kris
03-23-2007, 08:32 AM
Within the next few months I'll be completing my 350X project. It has a brand new, never run crate motor. I know this topic has been discussed before, but what should I expect from a new motor that has been sitting for 20 years?

Sticking/slipping clutch?

Should I ball hone the cylinder?

Valve springs wore out?

Please, anyone with experience chime in. I'd like to fix the likely problems before I complete it.

Thanks!

ScottZJ
03-23-2007, 08:57 AM
Well I used a crate motor clutch from a 250r motor and let me tell you, it lasted one major ride and thats it. The fibers just fell apart after they got heated up nicely. You might experience better luck but just expect that as a possibility.

Liquid-Darkness
03-23-2007, 09:00 AM
The engines that everyone here runs have been running 20 years+. If anything, just slap a new oil filter in and break it in like a regular top end. After that, check for any faults. Its a crate engine, it should run like new.

350Kris
03-23-2007, 09:12 AM
See that's what I've heard about the clutches. I also heard that I should expect possible warping of the clutch plates.

Running an engine for 20+ years and starting an engine after 20 years of sitting is very different.

I am also worried about surface rust on my cylinder walls...

SWIGIN
03-23-2007, 09:29 AM
iv seen some that were rusty....it depends ware it was sitting for 20 years

id have to open it up and look around

Liquid-Darkness
03-23-2007, 09:32 AM
You can remove the topend up to the jug. If you take off your head and rotate the engine down, you can see the condition of your cylinder wall/check for a glaze, also add some engine oil to the walls when you re-assemble. That route, you only have to use instant gasket on the valve cover. The head gasket is made of metal.

SWIGIN
03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
dont forget to replace the rings....those things have had to lost there tension

and clutch and valve springs

they have bin compressed with no use for so long id throw them as hard as i could...lol

wheelie king
03-23-2007, 10:09 AM
The clutch will be a loss fairly quick, I would say.

I'd run some thin oil in it for the first 2 changes, change and no more than 10 hours, and break it in easy (no more than 2/3 throttle).

I resurrected the 200R in my sig after sitting for many years. The only main problem I had was a little white smoke from valve seats that sat dry for so long. I got lucky with the clutch- which to this day is still stock and grabs good.