PDA

View Full Version : 350x break in

threewheelin-feelin
03-21-2007, 02:02 AM
well my new gaskets should be in the mail tomorrow...im not doing much to this bike...im just honing the cylinder new rings...new valve stem seals...grinding the valves and new gaskets...what type of break in should i use with this?

Gunnar
03-21-2007, 08:58 AM
This site might help:
http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

SWIGIN
03-21-2007, 10:54 AM
when i rebuild a 4 stroke i like to run it till it up to max temp then let it cool over night

wile its running im looking for leaks and listening for noises.

after its cool ill check bolt torque and ride it hard with out trying to beat the crap out of it

full throttle is fine for a very small time

come to think about it ... this is how i do 2 strokes too but ill run them in the garage till hot and let cool and retorque till everything is seated...then ride it kinda hard

jeddy
03-21-2007, 04:08 PM
Even though it sounds like you didn't do anything to the oil pump, I would still leave the cylinder head feed line loose until you know it's getting oil up there. You can mess things up in a hurry if you don't. My friends X ran for about an hour until it locked up solid, we found that the cam galled in the head due to a lack of oil. So always make sure you're getting oil up there. Good luck, hope it rips,
-Jed

threewheelin-feelin
03-21-2007, 10:55 PM
well its deffinately getting oil up there...because it was passing thrue the valve seals and buring in the cylinder...but that is a good idea and ill check anyway.

threewheelin-feelin
03-21-2007, 10:59 PM
My luck with the 4 stroke break-ins has worked well. Ride it no more then 1/2 throttle and put about 25 miles on it. Then change the oil and jet for power.:pics:

heres a pic of the motor out...and one on the bench and ill get more once im putting it back in.

BigGreenMachine
03-30-2007, 04:53 PM
You don't run the motor and let it idle. There isn't enough compression/load on the motor that way so the rings just glaze the cylinder/hone and do not seat properly.

James

threewheelin-feelin
03-30-2007, 11:14 PM
well the rebuild was a success...but i cracked my oil filter houseing...no biggie i got one on the way...but i started it and ran it for a minute just to make sure it was gonna run...it sounded sweet!!! but i forgot pics:(