PDA

View Full Version : woot! new carb installed

ratvespa
03-19-2007, 03:23 PM
finally got my Keihin PE38 (DG kit for the trx250r) installed on my 82 250arrr (with a 300cc kit), used the moose larger intake for the trx250r, also swaped the reeds with some boysen super stock fiber reeds.

runs OK the way it is, I still have some jetting to do, it has a 160 main in it now, pretty sure it's too lean.

this has probably been beaten to death here before, but has anyone noticed power differences with different reeds? the stock were steel, I got the super stock reeds because they were cheap (like me), do the carbon fiber reeds have any advantage? I also noticed they had power reeds, which seem to be 2 stage, would it be worth putting those in? How long do reeds generally last?

Other thing is, my old carb's manifold cracked, Im guessing due to age, and possibly the weight of the carb hanging off of it. Should I make a mount to stabilize my new carb so it does not have added stress to the manifold?

But other than that, it looks good on there, not really sure why the new manifold is off set, Im gussing to clear something, even with the offset is still leaves me with more than enough room for the air cleaner.

hazard
03-19-2007, 03:44 PM
well if your the maifold between your carb and engine intake, thats why you are running lean i would say, i would get a new intake manifold. correct me if im wrong

ratvespa
03-19-2007, 08:13 PM
well if your the maifold between your carb and engine intake, thats why you are running lean i would say, i would get a new intake manifold. correct me if im wrong

I just re read my post, I was not clear on that, I got a brand new moose racing manifold to replace my old one that was cracked.

robb
03-20-2007, 03:34 PM
i just put a 34mm carb on my 81 r had to cram the carb on the boot. i also have the two stage boyessen reeds,and reed spacer. i personally couldnt notice the difference from the stock metal ones. but maybe as soon as the parts come for my new carb. because that 28mm carb the bike comes with is way to restrictive i think.

i just wanted to know what you did for your air filter,and old air box. i was going to leave my airbox out and just attach a uni filter the the carb?

ratvespa
03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
i just put a 34mm carb on my 81 r had to cram the carb on the boot. i also have the two stage boyessen reeds,and reed spacer. i personally couldnt notice the difference from the stock metal ones. but maybe as soon as the parts come for my new carb. because that 28mm carb the bike comes with is way to restrictive i think.

i just wanted to know what you did for your air filter,and old air box. i was going to leave my airbox out and just attach a uni filter the the carb?

I got a K&N today, it's 5" long with a offset bend, it's a bit tight in there but does fit. I'll try to get some pics this week.

pretty much if you need a aircleaner, just find a parts unlimited dealer and have them look it up, all you need is the size of the carb body where it clamps, how long you want it, OD, and of you want a offset, retail is about 40 bucks for them