PDA

View Full Version : 225 DR help???

MIK6
04-26-2003, 10:43 PM
I have a 225 DRS. it runs great, rides nice, looks real nice. It has a shifting problem. The neutral light does not come on, w/o the light the electric start does not work. I was able to "hot wire" the switch in order to get the electric start to work. It has a problem going into gear. at times it will not go into neutral, or 2nd. once it is in 2nd its fine. Any experienced yami mechanics w/ ideas? I don't really want to split the cases w/o a good idea. Will DX trans parts work, or just look for DR stuff?

Any help would be great
MIK6 / Mike

plkmonster2
04-27-2003, 02:49 AM
try to idle it down, it can be a pain if the idle is too high, cause the clutch will barely engage. your neutral switch is shot. the light doen't have to work, but your swith has to. under the engine, there is a graan wire to this nut. take it out and replace it. alot of people have had this problem. my neighbor even hotwired over it :rolleyes: he never takes the time fix something all dx parts will work on the dr except the left side case, and the reverse output stuff. try to shift it into neutral while rolling. if it does, then the idle is too high. also, make sure that your reverse lever is working properly, and that it sticks in the forward position. this may be why it wont shift into second. hope this helps!

MIK6
04-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Thanks for the reply.
I am pretty sure its not the idle. It starts and runs great. What is the difference between the DR and the DX in the trans? How does the reverse work on a DR? (mine will go into reverse in any gear lol) Will the shift drum thing and the shift forks work from a DX to a DR? I can get a parts DX motor cheep, I have a yami 200ern for parts rite now, will any trans stuff work from it?

THANKS
MIK6 / Mike

Tri-Z dude
04-27-2003, 09:44 AM
i havent encountered this problem yet
but when i shift from 4th to 5th, sometime it pops out of 5th and back into 4th
about 5 percent of the time anyway
hardly does it tho
try to get the parts motor if u can
Ben

plkmonster2
04-27-2003, 01:40 PM
mik6 look above, the dr can use all dr parts except some of the cases, and the reverse output gears. reverse should only engage in first gear. i beilive that you can use the forks and drum because the only thing that is different is the output at the end. the 200 engine is EXACTLY the same except for the smaller displacement cylinder. it is like the 90 and the 110. you could put the bottom end of the 200 on the top end of the 225 if you dont want to split both cases.

MIK6
04-27-2003, 06:51 PM
I put 40 miles on the DR today. I just never used neutral. W/ the neutral switch "hot wired" I put it between 1st and reverse to start it. The electric start worked perfactly. I never had the slightest problem w/ it!!! It ran great!!! I took about 50 pictures w/ my new digi cam, but I was the only 1 on a trike and I had the camera. I will post some stuck 4x4 pictures later.
The 200ern has a rigid rear end. the back of the motor looks alot different, it also has a completely different shifter linkage too. I do not think its a bolt in. I think I need to do some more reserch before I pull the 2 motors. I did use the stator cover from the E onto the DR, it went on w/o a problem.
I think I might just ride it as it is for now. My girlfriend is going to ride it alittle this summer and I will be on it till its dry enuff for the TECATE to come out.

MIK6 / Mike

MIK6
05-03-2003, 05:39 PM
I rode the 225DR again today. Put another 35 miles on it. It ran great. Still has the shifter problems. It getts worse the longer I run it. I had trouble getting into 2nd after a few hours of riding, needed to stop for 15 mins and it was fine again. I'm clueless about fixing it.
Anyone understand that 2 cluch setup Yami uses in the 225's? I could use some beginners advice.

MIK6 / Mike