PDA

View Full Version : TriZ front bearing removal?

chris200x
03-18-2007, 01:55 PM
I was just wondering what you guys think the best way to remove the old bearings.

When I removed the rear axle bearings from the carrier I used a hammer and a punch to push the bearing out from behind. but I buggered up that collar a bit.

Is there a collar in the front hub as well? There seems to be something in there that I can move side to side but I just cannot get a good bead on it with a punch to whack it.

So what's the easiest way?

chris200x
03-18-2007, 02:00 PM
Oh,,, what about these dust covers? Doesn't the seals that go on after the bearings are installed basically keep out all the muck? Mine have seen better days that's for sure. :rolleyes:

dancole33
03-18-2007, 02:15 PM
Hey Chris,
I always use a long punch, sometimes brass, and run the butt end into the bench grinder to make sure it has a good sharp edge all the way around, that way when you round off the tip you can turn it and have another fresh edge. Just make sure that you're acually hitting the bearing and carefully walk the bearing out, a little at a time, don't just beat on it once you feel it move, rock it one side then the other. good luck! Dan. and ya you need some new seals.

Bryan Raffa
03-18-2007, 03:02 PM
if you bugger up that inner collar use a rat tail file to get the burs off.. if ya dont its a pain to install the axle and remove it.. once you get the bearing to move out a little bit that collar will move some for a better hit with the punch

chris200x
03-18-2007, 04:50 PM
Is this thing in the center of the hole?

Bryan Raffa
03-18-2007, 04:56 PM
thats the collar in side!!! just work the punch around the bearing,,,once you get one side out the collar will fall out and the other side will be real easy!!!

chris200x
03-18-2007, 06:15 PM
But I can't remember which way that collar goes back in. :lol: Anyone?