PDA

View Full Version : Here's a pic of my swamp trike

filipinoredneck
03-18-2007, 08:05 AM
It's now running, but as you can see, it needs a lot of tlc. Hopefully she'll be pulling a lot of deer, bear, and moose out of the bush. I plan to paint it camoflage when all is functioning properly. I paid $375.00 for it. It has new piston and rings, new rear tires, new front brakes and cable. It comes with a spare motor off a banshee which is shaft drive, but I don't know what parts I can steal of it or what condition it's in. I'm picking that off the guy today. It needs rear brakes to be fixed. Last night I was fixing the hole in front of the drive sprocket where oil was heavily leaking, and soaking the carb in wynnns carb cleaner. It needs a seat cover, read fender trim, front & rear racks, needs electrical work too. The run/off switch is not working, lights need to be hooked up, oh, no rear light on it yet. It needs air cleaner box assembly and air cleaner. What do you guys think? Did I pay too much for it? Feedback welcome even if it will make me feel bad>

chris200x
03-18-2007, 10:18 AM
For $375 I think you paid a bit much for it with it needing that much work. those are pretty plentiful and I'm sure you could of found one a bit cheaper. How did you fix the hole by the front sprocket?

Feedback welcome even if it will make me feel bad>

eew.. have you ever seen a trike that was painted Camo? It starts to look like crap when the piant starts chipping and flaking.. I hope you reconsider as DEER ARE COLOR BLIND ANYWAY. :rolleyes:

It comes with a spare motor off a banshee which is shaft drive, but I don't know what parts I can steal of it

I think you may be a bit misinformed as a banshee is a 350 two stroke and is chain drive. No motor parts will swap.

I'm certian,,, that if you put a want to buy add in the classifieds where you'll be able to find whatever parts you need in no time. ;)

Huffa
03-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Yea, a bit too much for sure.

A solid one with needing nothing can be had for between the 375 that you paid and 600 or so depending on HOW nice it is.

At least, hopefully the motor is in good shape with having a new top end put in.

Shop on ebay and 3WW and eventually you'll have it all fixed up for another 150 - 200 or so. It's just that it's better to buy one that is healthy right from the get go. You hardly pay anymore and your all set when you bring it home.

Liquid-Darkness
03-18-2007, 11:09 AM
Looks like a fun project.

viper
03-18-2007, 11:34 AM
getting a spare engine whatever it is makes it a good deal 4sure ..

thefox
03-18-2007, 12:15 PM
It looks like an OK deal to me, the price maybe a little on the high side but as long as the engine runs well your ok. Before painting the plastic make sure to sand then down to get rid of the chalky-dried out layer these Yamahas get, it looks like yours has some. You might also consider using the camo tape instead of paint. I don't know how it looks in person but I have seen pictures and the camo tape looks good, probably holds up better too. I think someone on the boards did that with their trike. Looks like a solid start to a good hunting trike though.

Oh, you are also missing the rear grab bar.

edog
03-18-2007, 12:31 PM
Need a grab bar for that Tri Moto?

Pm me.

filipinoredneck
03-19-2007, 08:03 PM
I've been looking for one for at least a couple of months and havn't seen one for less than 1250.00 here in Ontario. My other buddy is also looking for one and is giving up on it. We missed out on a mint condition 2WD ATV for 850.00. There was also another 2WD ATV in the same buy and sell paper with this trike for $1000.00. That actually would have been better but space in our Moose trailer which also serves as our chalet for 1 week is limited. I got the engine. Isn't the dune buggy by Yamaha called a Banshee? Please correct me if i'm wrong. I'm not too familiar with all the sizes and models out there. As far as the hole in the casing in front of the sprocket, I cleaned the area out with brake cleaner, scuffed it up with sand paper and plugged it up with JB Weld epoxy. Isn.t that the redneck way of doing things? I was thinking of duct tape, camo of course.:wondering

Murph
03-19-2007, 08:14 PM
I really don't know anything about the ytm's, so i can't really help you much. I was just wondering though, instead of painting it, have you considered using camoclad? It will look WAY better for sure. It won't be too expensive either, since there isn't that much stuff to cover on that trike. You can check it out at www.camoclad.com It would also be permanent, and wouldn't chip and flake in a year or two like paint would.

MO dx
03-19-2007, 08:23 PM
For his area that might be a good price. I`ve seen worse go for more depends on location. As for camo, I did mine it looked good for awhile then it did get nicked up and you can see yellow thru it. But its yours so do it how you like thats the only person thats got to like it.

IrvSLedman
03-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Hey man, its your trike, do what you want to it.. lol.. if that DX runs.. ulgy or not, shes still gonna pull them deer you want it to.. i pulled several deer with my 200.. soo good luck man.

84honda200s
03-19-2007, 08:42 PM
is that thing going to pull a dead deer or bear out of the woods? im not doubting the power but a bear is at least 500 pounds aint it ? if its chain driven get your self a small front sprocket. you will need all the bottom end power you can get. also the other thing about trikes. you tend to ride them for more than hunting.

good luck man and welcome to 3ww