PDA

View Full Version : Carb/Throttle/Acceleration

FireboyTwister
03-17-2007, 02:00 AM
Ok, so maybe this question has been answered but I can't seem to find the info I need. I'm new here and I was given an 83 Honda 200 a few years back. It was running then the CDI coil went bad and I had to get a new one. That was about 2 years ago. It sat outside for about that long.

Recently I flushed the tank, cleaned the in tank filter and rebuilt the carb. I have it running but every time I put it under throttle it starts to sputter and die. I have to baby the throttle open. I don't have a Tach so I can't adjust the idle speed that way, but she idles real smooth anyway. I did remove the pilot screw and didn't remember how many turns it was.... Would this affect my throttle? There's a local guy that rebuilds Bikes and ATCs that I could ask, but I thought I would post on here first to see what I could get.

84honda200s
03-17-2007, 02:23 AM
try the air screw. it should be 2 1/4 out from seat i believe. if you can hold on for a few min. i can look. welcome to 3ww

sorry its 1 1/4 turns out. also check the gap under the cdi cap that will cause it too. did yoe replace the fuel lines?

Just_Randy
03-17-2007, 03:07 AM
Maybe the gas tank vent is clogged. I've read that can be a problem sometimes. Or maybe you didn't get all the gunk out of the carb on the rebuild.

FireboyTwister
03-17-2007, 01:51 PM
Yeah, new fuel line. Also ALL the gunk is out of the carb. I soaked it then scrubbed it. No varnish, sand or other crud. Is all clean.

I'll check that pilot screw, but would that affect the carb when I open the throttle? I have the correct jets and the needle is set on 3.

84honda200s
03-17-2007, 02:02 PM
yea that screw can mess with the open throttle. all i can think of is that pilot screw or the timing may have went out..

DeePa
03-17-2007, 02:44 PM
clean the carb

Just_Randy
03-18-2007, 12:39 AM
I had that exact same problem with my bayou this morning. The funny thing is I just cleaned the carb for the 2nd time and added a Briggs n straton fuel filter for gravity feed tanks (Should have seen all the gunk in the carb and a nice big piece of crap on the needle n seat! Hence the new filter...). Anyway, I knew it wasn't gettin enough gas in the bowl, but would idle nice, just when I give it a bit of throttle it would die. So, I fiddled with the petcock and fuel filter and let it idle a while. Mysteriously the problem went away. I have no idea why it wasn't gettin gas. But I guess that's better than having gas pour from the carb in a puddle under the quad.

I've flushed the tank really good about a month ago and still had copious amounts of crap in the carb. I'm not sure if my tank is still dirty, my gas cans are dirty, or the fual station has dirty gas.

I'm still thinking you have a dirty fuel system somewhere. (Or maybe you bent the floats or they have a hole in them or otherwise stuck).

FireboyTwister
03-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Randy, thanks for the info. I think my new fuel line is a bit long which might be causing the problem. It has a small twist in it causing a loop of sorts... I'll cut that down to size and see if that is part of the problem. Will also check the float, I did have a small problem with it running out the overflow while I was working on it before I got it running again. Thanks for the advice.

Just_Randy
03-18-2007, 02:30 AM
Not a problem... I was thinking my line might be a bit long now that I added the filter... That's what I was thinking when I was jiggling it trying to get some gas in the carb anyway.