PDA

View Full Version : Lean is fast!!!!!!!!!!!!Tecate fast

ccdhowell
03-11-2007, 09:49 PM
I took my 85 Tecate out for a shakedown run today after a complete rebuild. Too many new things to mention, but include VForce Delta 2 reeds and a DG headpipe, but I didn't rejet the carb, more on that in a bit.

Unloaded, warmed'er up a bit ridding in a large pasture then I rode over to my drag spot. I took it easy off the line and nailed it when I went to second and holy cow, the engine changed pitch, immediately jumped 3,000 rpms, before I knew it I hit the powerband of the reeds and pipe and she started singing me a song so sweet that it brought a tear to my eye. Somewhere in there my adrenale glands kicked in because my pulse rate was well over 100, I must have shifted because when I finally eased off the throttle and started kicking the shifter down, it went down all five times. I ran it full-out for about a quarter mile, have no idea how fast I was going(wish I had a GPS), but I do know that the sound of a KXT engine at full song is truely the music of the gods. Oh yeah, then I rode back to the Jeep to change my underware.

I had no idea that this thing would scoot like that. And I have a KX cylinder yet to install. The thought of it send shivers down my spine, how could it kick any harder than it already does, this powerband is the stuff of legend.

I made five drag passes, each as hairraising as the next then I went to ride in the woods trails with my wife and kids. It took about 15 minutes of slow woods riding for the engine sucumb to the lean condition and boil over the radiator. I stopped it in its tracks and left it where it was. Rode with my daughter back to the Jeep and had lunch. When I got back to it, it was cooled down and I rode it back to camp. It mustof been really hot, it boiled out Engine Ice. I figured I'd need to rejet, but wanted to see how she ran before I did.

The full throttle report goes like this: 1. Not crisp off the line, could be better. 2. sputters a bit in the mid-range. 3. Main jet must be about right because I have no sputter and no bogging on the top-end, just a beautiful song.

Here's some pics. I also made 5 or 6 laps of the short track I made in the pasture. My new Pirelli tires didn't slide very well but it was fun anyway. I really gotta get up the huevos to drive to Ga/Fl to flat-track with you guys.

:beer Chris

ccdhowell
03-11-2007, 09:52 PM
Here's a couple more pics. Wife and kids in a little mud ditch. Chris

BigGreenMachine
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
NICE!!! Fresh motor and some mods, you really need to up the jet sizes and raise the needle. Bet your main is leaner then you think too!

Those tires really hook up on grass, dirt is where they will slide best.

Congrats on the rebuild! Sounds like it was worth every penny/moment.

DixiePlowboy
03-11-2007, 10:12 PM
It's a rush...ain't it! Maybe that's the reason I never felt left out when almost all my "friends" started experimenting with drugs. I had 2-strokes for my highs.

Looks like your rear tires would give you a good bit of sidebite, so be careful and keep it rubber side down:)

I have five boys(4-16 years old), so I can appreciate the pics of the family playing together. Very cool!

Get yourself some spacers(lock washers/Locktite) if you're like me and can't seem to come up with an extended axle, some good flattracking rubber, lower it, get some serious saddle time in, and let that flattracking bug you seem to have turn into the raging beast that it wants to be.

InPiEcEs
03-11-2007, 10:13 PM
Nice T3!.......I might have to find one!:D ......................
Check your plug.........if it got hot, it might be a little lean.
Put a new plug in, and do a few 3rd, or 4th gear runs, then kill it, and pull the clutch right away.
You want to look at the plug way down inside, and it should be a little lighter than caramel brown.
A light and magnifying glass helps. White is lean.
You could also just go up a couple sizes on the main, till it starts to burble a bit, and then work down.
That's the safer way, going rich and working back down.
The whole idea is to have fun with your trike, not rebuilding your top-end.
Now....go have some fun!!;)

tecat-z
03-11-2007, 11:47 PM
I know you said its running lean. But to run to the point of it boiling over to that point, iv'e never had that happen in all my motocross or trike days. I've had lean engines sieze a time or two and thats my point. Cooling systems carry away heat regardless of weather it's lean or it's just plain hot out. I't probably would have siezed long before it could ever get that hot. You just said you had the motor down, so in the process i wonder if you tightened the 10mm nut that squeezes the impeller against the shaft enough. It's meerly a compressinn fit with no keyway or taper to allow a good bite between back of impeller and pump shaft. The pump shaft would be spinning since it runs off the crank, while the impeller is doing the ' backstroke' trying to keep up and move water. It's just a thought, on top of your possible lean condition. Good luck

ccdhowell
03-12-2007, 12:11 PM
tecat-z, it's a good thought, I had trouble with the impeller. The torque spec in the manual is really light if I read it correctly. The water seems to be moving, I put on clear hoses and can see bubbles in the water moving in the correct direction and past the rad cap when you take it off. I thought it was odd that it got that hot too, but I thought a severe lean might do it. I dunno no. Chris

deathman53
03-12-2007, 03:28 PM
if enough air doesn't pass over the radiators , ANY liquid cooled bike will boil over. On my bikes, jetting is good, slow riding, they will boil over, faster than you can believe. If I run them wide open, they don't go past 160-180 degrees. It takes ~250 degrees for enigine ice to boil over. Liqiud cooled bikes, its not wise to putt them, run them hard and fast, they stay cooler in the long run. I know what you are talking about the performance, I had one, it was eye watering. My atc250r now is scary fast, I'm betting that motor makes about 55 horses, it pulls 14/36 3rd gear starts with ease. Alot of people are scared of it and wonder how I can ride it.

scooterroo
03-12-2007, 03:53 PM
thats what i like to hear chris...make the hair on the back of your neck stand up!!! hope mines gonna be as snappy, the t3 looks sweet, glad to hear you got it running again.

ccdhowell
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Hey scoot, you gonna be at TF?

Wonder what more the Delta3 reeds do over the Delta2 reeds in this trike? My reeds are for a late 80s-early 90s KX.

BigGreenMachine
03-12-2007, 09:25 PM
http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/product_catalog/Product.jsp?skuId=182292&store=Main&catId=111&productId=p182278&leafCatId=11104&mmyId=1196#altImages

Those will work in the 85 T3. Don't know whats changed but it looks like a better setup. I know I never had one problem with my Vforce II's.

Personally, I'm gonna whack a set of carbon reeds in the 500 and call it done.

ccdhowell
03-12-2007, 09:54 PM
That seems to be the same fitment of the reeds I used. I bought mine off ebay for a good price so I thought I'd give it a try. I'm satisfied so far.

Hey BGM, anybody make a jet assortment kit known to fit these 85 stock carbs?

BigGreenMachine
03-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Mikuni large hex jets are the mains you need, not sure on the name of the pilots.