PDA

View Full Version : New 250r pics-FINALLY!!

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Finally got the camera fixed and had the time to start ripping into the new 250r-it is alittle rough but can be rehabbed.I have a series of questions for you guys:
1-the front headlight isnt a 85-what the heck year is it and can the internals be located from another machine in the same year-like a 250sx, etc?to fit new plastics for the 85-I do not like the 1 thats on here currently.
2-the jug appears to have some mild porting done to it,whats your view from the pictures, mabye just some light DREMEL work to the ports?
3-the motor kept on flooding out, badly, I checked the reeds after re-building the stock carb-they had such a gap in the I could put a .014 feeler guage between them-my question is the BOYSEEN rad valves, they work well and do you guys recommend them, or go carbon fiber?
4-the swinger looks to have had some welding done to it in the rear by the carrier, am I correct?
5-the stock intake and reed cage had no yamabond or adhesive between them,wouldn't that be cause for an airleak?Also, do you guys leakdown test your motors and if so, whats the norm for those as far as acceptable leakdown for minutes waited?
6-the rear sprocket hub-thats supposed to have threads in it correct?Mine doesnt as you can see in these pictures.What axles, hubs do most of you guys go with and whats the best place to buy them from, I would like to mabye go +2 at most, I ride heavily tight trails in the Northeast and rarely go to the dunes.
7-bearing carriers,RAD?durablue?
also, let me know what you think about the ride-I purchased it for 1200.00 not running, that story has been posted previously.

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Some more pictures for you:

edog
03-11-2007, 06:40 PM
The head light is for a 86 250R.

Looks like you grab bar is up side down.

I also recommend the Carbon Fiber Reeds With the Kevlar Tips.

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:41 PM
heres more-the pipe also looks to have been welded by a firstimer, it is very poorly done.

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:46 PM
jug pictures-looked into the jug, piston walls look brand new-if you can see in the pics the engien appears to be have been fresh rebuilt as the gaskets look brand new.

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:51 PM

didnt even notice that-thank you.If the headlight is for a 86-where can I locate the headlight and mounting bracket for the 85 plastic bezel, the 86 doesnt fit into it.Also-is the silencer a Paul Turner?

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 06:55 PM
1 thing I do not understand, why rebuild the motor and install bad reeds, as you can see in the pictures, theres a HUGE gap in them, is there possibly a way the motor could/did/can backfire and cause that damage when kickstarting it?When I picked it up, the fuel was FLOWING out the pipe-doesnt make sense huh?

edog
03-11-2007, 07:01 PM
You got yourself a nice trike.

Welcome to the R Club.

Looks like a Pro Circut Pipe.
You should replace the Reeds

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 07:10 PM
The pipe has a plate on it says Paul Turner-but it doesnt look like 1 to me-wonder if the silencer is the same or a Pro Circuit?
the mystery continues.Thanks for the help-I am looking forward to getting it up and running soon, the rear swinger is going to my top priority to replace currently,along with the rear axle, hubs and plastics.

Huffa
03-11-2007, 07:14 PM

He also recommends to run potent 87 octane :lol: :lol:

Tri-ZNate
03-11-2007, 07:21 PM
I was steered away from the carbon fiber reeds because they are known to go bad after a few races. Nice Bike

x.system
03-11-2007, 07:44 PM
Finally got the camera fixed and had the time to start ripping into the new 250r-it is alittle rough but can be rehabbed.I have a series of questions for you guys:
1-the front headlight isnt a 85-what the heck year is it and can the internals be located from another machine in the same year-like a 250sx, etc?to fit new plastics for the 85-I do not like the 1 thats on here currently.
2-the jug appears to have some mild porting done to it,whats your view from the pictures, mabye just some light DREMEL work to the ports?
3-the motor kept on flooding out, badly, I checked the reeds after re-building the stock carb-they had such a gap in the I could put a .014 feeler guage between them-my question is the BOYSEEN rad valves, they work well and do you guys recommend them, or go carbon fiber?
4-the swinger looks to have had some welding done to it in the rear by the carrier, am I correct?
5-the stock intake and reed cage had no yamabond or adhesive between them,wouldn't that be cause for an airleak?Also, do you guys leakdown test your motors and if so, whats the norm for those as far as acceptable leakdown for minutes waited?
6-the rear sprocket hub-thats supposed to have threads in it correct?Mine doesnt as you can see in these pictures.What axles, hubs do most of you guys go with and whats the best place to buy them from, I would like to mabye go +2 at most, I ride heavily tight trails in the Northeast and rarely go to the dunes.
7-bearing carriers,RAD?durablue?
also, let me know what you think about the ride-I purchased it for 1200.00 not running, that story has been posted previously.

Grab bar is on correct, pipe is a PT and so is the silencer, called a fat boy silencer. I run the rad valve and like it, its easyer to mount a larger carb to that rubber boot over stock. Lonestar makes a nice carrier for the 85R, I'm not sure who else still makes them but you have to make sure its for the 85 as its smaller than the 86 to 89r.

You can't tell how extensive the porting is unless you take the cylinder off but you should be able to tell by riding it. More than likely it will be a mild port for overall riding.

chris200x
03-11-2007, 08:10 PM
Pretty nice R you go there. what kind of rear tires are they?

HEY HUFFA... GeT eR DoNe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 08:17 PM
Grab bar is on correct, pipe is a PT and so is the silencer, called a fat boy silencer. I run the rad valve and like it, its easyer to mount a larger carb to that rubber boot over stock. Lonestar makes a nice carrier for the 85R, I'm not sure who else still makes them but you have to make sure its for the 85 as its smaller than the 86 to 89r.

You can't tell how extensive the porting is unless you take the cylinder off but you should be able to tell by riding it. More than likely it will be a mild port for overall riding.

Thanks for the help-I sent you a PM today-you get it?I ordered the rad valve, Gold series FMF with silencer,Dial a jet-fuel tank tonight for it.
As far as the rad valve goes, did you use any type adhesive when installing it, like YAMABOND-etc ?
I did read the thread on the 87 octane-what type oil you using for the mix, I have used HR2 for many years and like it, but have heard the AMSOIL products burn better-any ideas on that?
The gears are 13-39 and the sprocket hub isnt threaded, thats not stock correct, I looked up the microfilm and it appears that the bolts thread into the hub, just was curious-it really wont matter if I go aftermarket.

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Pretty nice R you go there. what kind of rear tires are they?

HEY HUFFA... GeT eR DoNe!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

you know what-they are a wierd brand name-I'll get it for you tomorrow and post it, they are directionals.

x.system
03-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the help-I sent you a PM today-you get it?I ordered the rad valve, Gold series FMF with silencer,Dial a jet-fuel tank tonight for it.
As far as the rad valve goes, did you use any type adhesive when installing it, like YAMABOND-etc ?
I did read the thread on the 87 octane-what type oil you using for the mix, I have used HR2 for many years and like it, but have heard the AMSOIL products burn better-any ideas on that?
The gears are 13-39 and the sprocket hub isnt threaded, thats not stock correct, I looked up the microfilm and it appears that the bolts thread into the hub, just was curious-it really wont matter if I go aftermarket.

I got it, I sent a reply. The only thing I do to my gaskets is spread oil on them and install, I don't use any bonding agent on any of them. I would stick with the oil your used to running. I do run amsoil, I think it burns cleaner.

I see someone used different bolts for your sprocket, they should thread in from the tire side on the 85 but if you get a new axle it will come with a new sprocket hub.

If you change out the carb to a 86 or newer I think you will get better throttle responce over that round slide. If you want a good woods bike get a 34/36mm carb, a 38/39mm will give you better top end.

Huffa
03-11-2007, 08:38 PM
you know what-they are a wierd brand name-I'll get it for you tomorrow and post it, they are directionals.

They are strange. I don't understand what good the middle two lines accomplish,weird.

You should save those babies, they are REALLY rare, are they not?

geT eR DoNe :lol:

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 08:44 PM
I got it, I sent a reply. The only thing I do to my gaskets is spread oil on them and install, I don't use any bonding agent on any of them. I would stick with the oil your used to running. I do run amsoil, I think it burns cleaner.

I see someone used different bolts for your sprocket, they should thread in from the tire side on the 85 but if you get a new axle it will come with a new sprocket hub.

If you change out the carb to a 86 or newer I think you will get better throttle responce over that round slide. If you want a good woods bike get a 34/36mm carb, a 38/39mm will give you better top end.

thank you-I must say I have never heard of oil on the gaskets, but you learn something new everyday right?
The sprocket hub has been drilled out, there are no threads in it, and if I rethread it the bolts won't fit through the sprocket-bummer huh?But like you said, If I got aftermarket it isnt an issue
Carb-34-36 PWK? Mikuni perhaps?I have had great success with the PWK's on my odysseys over the years, will they fit the rad valve intake do you know?

x.system
03-11-2007, 08:56 PM
thank you-I must say I have never heard of oil on the gaskets, but you learn something new everyday right?
The sprocket hub has been drilled out, there are no threads in it, and if I rethread it the bolts won't fit through the sprocket-bummer huh?But like you said, If I got aftermarket it isnt an issue
Carb-34-36 PWK? Mikuni perhaps?I have had great success with the PWK's on my odysseys over the years, will they fit the rad valve intake do you know?

I run the PWK's as well and like how they perform, it will work on yours as well. They will all fit the rad valve, I've had 34's up to 39's in the same rad valve.

I put oil on the gaskets so they peel off when you do a rebuild, learned that one from the guy who ports my motors. No more sticking gaskets or scraping gasket residue off with a razor blade.

breastman569
03-11-2007, 09:08 PM
might want to fix your axle nut!

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 09:18 PM

Is it missing spacers ?WOuld you happen to have a picture/link of 1 thats properly installed by chance?

mudbogger
03-11-2007, 09:24 PM
I run the PWK's as well and like how they perform, it will work on yours as well. They will all fit the rad valve, I've had 34's up to 39's in the same rad valve.

I put oil on the gaskets so they peel off when you do a rebuild, learned that one from the guy who ports my motors. No more sticking gaskets or scraping gasket residue off with a razor blade.

Would you happen to remember if the PWKS were bolt in, or did they need to be rejetted, internals reworked-ie SLOW JET, ETC?

Dammit!
03-11-2007, 09:29 PM
Jetting is machine specific. There's no such thing as bolt on when it comes to jetting a carb. It's not as complicated as it seems though. Read the sticky.

I also oil my gaskets but I use a very thin layer of axle grease. Does the same thing.

The Rad Valve has a removeable flange that you can get in different sizes to accomodate different size carbs.

x.system
03-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Properly fitted 85 axle nut assembly.

Rustytinhorn
03-11-2007, 11:16 PM
I cant see where his axle nut is gone wrong? Just looks like he has an extra large stopper of some kind on the end of his.
Anyway, upside down or rightside up, I'd leave the grab bar the way it is. If turned over, the very end of the tubing could rub against your fenders. Thats what happened on mine.

mudbogger
03-12-2007, 08:28 PM

the tires are TRAILBLASTERS-dunno who makes them-

mudbogger
03-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Took the axle out today-the bearings needed replacement-my question is what manufacturer makes axles for these, LONESTAR? DURABLUE? ALSO-the swinger isnt in the best shape,what is everybody using on theres these days?Does Lonestar have a package:swinger, alxe, hubs for the 250r?
Also, will a lonestar alxe fit into a Rad-Durablue carrier?Are most going with double row carriers?It is going to need at least and axle replacement-if I could find a swinger stock with good bushings, etc I would go that route as well.Any ideas, pictures are greatly appreciated!!!!

mudbogger
03-12-2007, 09:23 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=22300&highlight=lonestar+axles

After reading that posting, I think I will pursue a 86 swinger and total replacement of the axle, carrier, etc, it seems alittle easier to me to do that.

breastman569
03-13-2007, 12:44 AM

just want to say sorry for the confusion i was told wrong and the honda 250r maunal isnt clear on how it is installed so i busted out the 350x and it tells you that the two nuts need to be together. sorry for the confusion.

oldsking86
03-13-2007, 01:01 AM

Oil huh? Man I may just need to try that the next time I open up the intake area to check my reeds.. Thanks for the insight! :beer

Fox250R
03-13-2007, 08:43 AM
will a 86 light work with a 85? I want a 86 light..If it will work..

x.system
03-13-2007, 10:28 AM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=22300&highlight=lonestar+axles

After reading that posting, I think I will pursue a 86 swinger and total replacement of the axle, carrier, etc, it seems alittle easier to me to do that.

You will be able to find replacement parts alot easyer if you do the switch. If you go 86/87 you can use any aftermarket swingarm meant for a trx like Houser, Lonestar, just need to make sure its for a 86/87. If you find a good deal on a 88/89 stock or aftermarket swingarm all you need to do is add 2 small rear motor mounts to your frame.

mudbogger
03-13-2007, 06:32 PM
The LONESTAR swingers,I see there are pretty expensive, Houser makes a swinger as well, got a link by chance?
I noticed the 86 stuff is by far easier to find, now my question is the shock, can the 85 be used on a 86 swinger, aftermarket specifically, or do you need to replace it as well?Will a 350x shock work(got 2 of them here doing nothing)
My 85 SWINGER is in pretty good shape after a good cleaning and examination, the bushings in the front appear to be new, the seller told me he had done front and rears,the only thing wrong with it is the skid plate mounts are ripped off it and it appears to have benn welded, but I am not sure of this due to my lack of knowledge of these machines-I'll post pic and mabye someone can assist me.Is the rear sprocket the same as well or does this need to be changed over to the 86 version?brake caliper I know is different-or is it just the mounting to the swinger that needs changing like a 350x?
I will put this 85 swinger for sale if I do indeed switch over, I'll post it in the for sale thread.

mudbogger
03-13-2007, 08:41 PM
just want to say sorry for the confusion i was told wrong and the honda 250r maunal isnt clear on how it is installed so i busted out the 350x and it tells you that the two nuts need to be together. sorry for the confusion.

No problem, I apprec your imput and help anyway!!!

86 Quad R
03-14-2007, 10:33 AM
I was steered away from the carbon fiber reeds because they are known to go bad after a few races. Nice Bike

i too am of the same opinion..... the carbon fibers have great throttle response but, lack in durability. the fiberglass that are in there now can be flipped over and used a few more revs. ;) a tip that i've learned is to take and sand all the edges with fine sand paper. this will prevent the reeds from freying in the corners and adges and will last 4 X's longer. nice trike btw :beer

mudbogger
03-14-2007, 09:06 PM
Thank you very much.Any idea if the 85 rear shock will work with the 86 swinger, or do I need to buy a 86 rear link for the shock?:wondering

mudbogger
03-24-2007, 05:55 PM
Update on project:
Awaiting swinger I won on Ebay, ordered Lonestar double row carrier, Axcalibur axle(stock,no +2)Works shock, Rad valve, carb(36mm PWK)sprockets, FMF full exhaust,and a DIAL A JET for the carb,and IMS fuel cell as well.I'll start posting pictures as I progress through the rehabbing, I am not going to restore, I wish to ride it and it would kill me to clean it for woods riding presently.:w00t: