PDA

View Full Version : Time to convert the Tecate back to 3 wheels...Help!

FrankenWheeler
03-11-2007, 04:27 PM
Well, I got a Trx250r the other day so now I figure it's time to switch the green machine back to its maiden form!!

It's a good conversion, excellent welding and choice of materials, but I'm ready to shed the 50 lbs. and beat my buddies (ATC 250r's). :D

I'm looking now for all front end parts. I'd like to go disc brake, are
'84 and '85 forks, triples, hubs, etc interchangeable?

Let me know if anyone has a lead on some parts, Thanks!!

chris200x
03-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Although I do like that conversion because of the rarity of it, i'm glad to hear it's going back. there's a dude parting out some tecates in the classifieds here.

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=65605

200x newby
03-11-2007, 05:00 PM
hey you could make your money back on that bike possibly. just sell the front end kit that you cut off.

BigGreenMachine
03-11-2007, 05:17 PM
You will need the 85 front forks since the 84 fork does not have the disc brake mount built in.

FrankenWheeler
03-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I guess I'd better doa good job cutting it off if I want to resell it!!:cool:
We'll see...
I appreciate the leads and ideas, thanks guys.
if you hear of '85 forks for sale send me the link!

tecat-z
03-11-2007, 06:35 PM
Don't even cut up the frame, replace it. It will be cheaper in the long run since you will have to paint this one again, and possibly have some welding and all of that stuff done. Interested parties in this frame would much rather have a complete 'original' fitment i would think. I'm sure you can locate a frame in Cali somewhere for cheap. 84-85 tripples are the same, and so are the rads. The other stuff can be located with patients so you have the 85 fork and brake setup.

BigGreenMachine
03-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Mnnstuff should have everything you need man. PM him here on the forum.

FrankenWheeler
03-11-2007, 08:55 PM
Don't even cut up the frame, replace it. It will be cheaper in the long run since you will have to paint this one again, and possibly have some welding and all of that stuff done. Interested parties in this frame would much rather have a complete 'original' fitment i would think. I'm sure you can locate a frame in Cali somewhere for cheap. 84-85 tripples are the same, and so are the rads. The other stuff can be located with patients so you have the 85 fork and brake setup.

you're right and I have been looking for some time for another beater tecate to swap all my parts onto, but there hasn't been anything in the past few months...
Plus the frame is already titled and green-stickered (california thing) in my name so I figured I'd save some $$ there! ;)

I would like to keep this conversion complete so someone else that was interested in it could enjoy it too. One of the replies I got in my first post about the bike was cool because they respected this thing for being a piece of 3 wheeler history.
Now I'm gonna feel guilty for hacking it up!! Thanks alot!!! :(

firefirefire90
03-11-2007, 10:16 PM
Hey man..I will find you a frame if need be! San Diego is a HUGE dune villiage and museum of trike parts. Will not be hard to find em!

Bryan Raffa
03-11-2007, 10:18 PM
if ya turn it back into a trike and sell the kit,,someone is just gonna hack up another one..

FrankenWheeler
03-12-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah you're right Fire, SD has a serious amount of off-road parts.
Maybe I havn't dug deep enough..
And I'm also wondering if someone at this point would even take the time and effort to convert their T3 to a quad.
I'll probably only be able to sell the fox shox anyhoo...

Would any of you guys convert a T3 to a quad??
I dont think so!:naughty:

oldsking86
03-12-2007, 12:34 AM
I'd buy a T4 before I convert our trikes lol

IrvSLedman
03-12-2007, 12:39 AM
yeah, just scrap that front end, no poor little T3 wants to be that!! lol well at least thats what I'd do, any ways goood luck turning it back.

FrankenWheeler
03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Hey man..I will find you a frame if need be! San Diego is a HUGE dune villiage and museum of trike parts. Will not be hard to find em!

Hey Fire, did you post on SD Craigslist on my behalf?
I got all excited when my keyword (tecate) got a hit, then saw it was a WTB, lol.
anyways thanks if that was you...:beer

firefirefire90
03-12-2007, 07:35 PM
Yep...an I posted it at some other sites as well!

FrankenWheeler
03-13-2007, 06:07 PM
Bump, heres my new ISO list:

http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=65723

thanks! :beer