PDA

View Full Version : Axle nuts on 200's, 125's, 110's and so fourth

Huffa
03-10-2007, 11:10 AM
I always "torqued" the inner one down, by hand, just a bit (full turn or so) over snug then cranked down good on the outer one using loctite.

Is this the correct procedure and what type of torque wrench does this? Is it a special adapter that goes on a regular one?

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2007, 12:12 PM
I do the same thing and use a big Monkey Wrench to lock the outer nut. They must have a tool that a toque wrench fits into. Then there is a formula that has to be figured into the final torque because your pivot point is now a few inches away from the actual fastner.

The inner nut is what tightens the inner races of the axle bearings to each other, thats why the tube is in there so there is no sideload on the bearing when it's installed. Then I lock down the outer nut.

I worry about torques with heads and cylinders and internal motor parts. I really don't sweat the other stuff, thats just me though...

SWIGIN
03-10-2007, 12:25 PM
with normal roller bearing like that with the spacer between them i tighten the first nut tight since it doesn't create any drag if the spacer is fine.

then i crank the hell out of the 2nd

with taper bearings i just go hand tight or a little more then crank the hell out of the 2nd nut

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 01:04 PM
i use a cressint Wrench that they use on 18 wheelers. i get the nut torqued down pretty good with a wrench that is about 2 1/2 feet long and 20 pounds. but anyways you couldnt have to use a torque wrench because the outer nut is more or less a jam nut.

Huffa
03-10-2007, 01:15 PM
i use a cressint Wrench that they use on 18 wheelers. i get the nut torqued down pretty good with a wrench that is about 2 1/2 feet long and 20 pounds. but anyways you couldnt have to use a torque wrench because the outer nut is more or less a jam nut.

WoeWA buddy ..........:eek: I might be misunderstanding you but you don't use that ( wrench that is about 2 1/2 feet long) on the inner nut do you?

The outer one is the one that you really crank on.

" YEA IM NUTS " ........if you do that way, well yea, you are! :lol:

To the others, thank you!:beer

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2007, 01:28 PM
His wrench is that long because nuts that big use a monster Crescent wrench.

Huffa, you never gave me your PAYPAL addy, I owe u some bucks for the goodies....

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 01:37 PM
WoeWA buddy ..........:eek: I might be misunderstanding you but you don't use that ( wrench that is about 2 1/2 feet long) on the inner nut do you?

The outer one is the one that you really crank on.

" YEA IM NUTS " ........if you do that way, well yea, you are! :lol:

To the others, thank you!:beer

lol no not on the inner nut. well i do use it but i dont crank it down plus its the only wrench i have that opens wide enough to get on the nuts. plus that thing will break any nut loose and is very good for making a nut stay in place.

Dave223
03-10-2007, 01:47 PM
http://www.newmantools.com/wrenches/crft12.jpg

Find the right size crowfoot wrench, attach it to your torque wrench and WALLAA! hehe DOes anyone know what size the nuts are? I thought they were either 2 1/16" or 2 1/8" dunno for sure. Dave

Huffa
03-10-2007, 01:59 PM
His wrench is that long because nuts that big use a monster Crescent wrench.

Huffa, you never gave me your PAYPAL addy, I owe u some bucks for the goodies....

So you got them? I was going to PM you today, asking you just that.

Did you install yet? Take the cover off :lol: ?

I'll PM you my address.

ATCnut
03-11-2007, 05:18 PM
Here is what I use for my 350X axle nuts. My brother made them when he has access to a machine shop.