PDA

View Full Version : Is ths a good deal

Gameover
03-10-2007, 05:15 AM
Received a call yesterday form a guy that knows a friend of mine , i guess this guy has a 82 250R for sale and my friend told him he knew someone who was in to trikes and might be interested in it . Aayway i don't really need another trike since as i have 7 of them now but he wanted to send me a couple pics anyway , he wants $500.00 for this little 250R and says it runs and drives great . has no cracks in the fenders and no dents in the tank he did say there was one small hole in the seat which i don't see in the pics . he also said this was the original paint and it has not had a lot of use . it looks pretty good to me but i have no idea what these first generation 250R's are worth . so what i'm wondering is , would this be a very good deal or is this what they usually go for in this condition . if it was a really good price then i might buy it

Thaanks !!

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 05:21 AM
id buy it. i mean how often do you see a near mint oem first generation 250R ?

Gameover
03-10-2007, 05:30 AM
Yeah i know it does look really nice , i did ask him if thier was any damage to the other side of the tank or anything since he didn''t take a pic of that side and he said no damage at all . how ever i know photos can be very deceiving sometimes , it's a 60 mile drive but i think i will at least go have a look at it

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 05:33 AM
i would look at it. it would be a cool little toy lol. better than what i have. well faster than what i have.

Gameover
03-10-2007, 05:48 AM
I've never seen one of these in person but from all the photos i've look at they are much much smaller then the 2nd and 3rd generation 250R . heck whats one more little trike in the garage going to hurt , if it is as clean as the photos make it out to be and is machanically sound i guess i will buy it

Dirtcrasher
03-10-2007, 10:16 AM
Looks to be in very nice shape to me, grab it!

team-red-rider
03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
the seatpan if its good will bring that much on ebay...

Rm250RF900R
03-10-2007, 10:42 AM
That thing is clean.

Huffa
03-10-2007, 11:17 AM
At 500 that is an absolute steal !!

I really think that is the nicest 82 R I ever saw. If it was mine there is NO WAY I'd sell it for that cheap,NO WAY!!

It's so nice it's almost too nice to ride!!

A 1000 would be a steal in my book. You just don't come by those in that nice of shape hardly, buy it for yourself man!! :beer

It looks "pretty" good to you? DUDE, you look for a Loooooong time to find a nicer one and to find a nicer one it would almost have to be mint. Don't dick around, BUY IT or the game may be over!!! :lol:

Gameover
03-10-2007, 12:42 PM
Well i only say it looks pretty good cause i know that photos can and usually do make somthing look a bit nicer then it actually is and i just wanted to make sure what he's asking would be a good price even if it's not quite as nice as the pics and since i'm pretty much new to 3 wheelers i don't know prices with out doing allot of research and theres no time for that . i just bought a 350X two days ago and my 7th trike in 7 months so i can't justify buying it unless its to good to pass by which seems to be the case assuming it's close to looking like the pics . ill update this post if all goes well and thanks everyone for all your help it's truly appreciated

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 12:57 PM
i wouldnt let this one slip from under you man. if i had a pick between a 50.00 near mint 200s or the 500.00 near mint first generation 250R i would take the 250R hands down.

good luck man

ooo yea i dont know if anyone told you but welcome to 3ww the largest trike forum on the net.

Huffa
03-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Well i only say it looks pretty good cause i know that photos can and usually do make somthing look a bit nicer then it actually is and i just wanted to make sure what he's asking would be a good price even if it's not quite as nice as the pics and since i'm pretty much new to 3 wheelers i don't know prices with out doing allot of research and theres no time for that . i just bought a 350X two days ago and my 7th trike in 7 months so i can't justify buying it unless its to good to pass by which seems to be the case assuming it's close to looking like the pics . ill update this post if all goes well and thanks everyone for all your help it's truly appreciated

Positively correct about pictures making a machine look nicer but those are pretty close up and I'm sure it could use a bit of detailing but still that is one nice 82 R man.

Even the axle is nice and clean. I'm almost postive your taliking over a 1000 for that if it went on ebay. If it was mine, I'd detail the heck out of it and keep it for ever!

The only thing I see "wrong" is that it looks like it has a plastic strip that may go on edge of seat base on the inside and that came off somehow?

YES, it definitly seems T00 good to pass up! :beer

Please post some real close up shots of it if you buy it or check it out farther.

Thanks!

Go get it!!! :beer

nouseforaname90
03-10-2007, 02:22 PM
If that were offered to me for $500, it would be mine! That is a great deal! Especially with the nice bling wheels on it. They ARE very very small machines (like the size of a Big Red or 200S), but they are still none the less a 250cc 2-stroke monster! I'd get it!!

Gameover
03-10-2007, 03:17 PM
On My way out the door guys , i'll take pics either way and post them up when i get back

Thanks
again

hondaatcvabeach
03-10-2007, 04:12 PM
Wow I have a 1981 250r that I thought was the cleanest around but that one takes the cake!!! I payed $500.00 for mine and I think it was a steel.

Gameover
03-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Well i got to say the pics were pretty dam close , way better then i expected it to be so it was a nice surprise . the only thing that he kinda fibbed about was the small hole in the seat which ends up being a big hole but the pan looks good , will have to un-bolt it from the fender to be sure . and it has a couple small paint chips on the tank . a few other places with a little bit of paint worn off but very minor , it is very very clean and original . no cracks in amy of the plastics and everything looks nice and neat . as far as machanical it starts right up one or two kicks , i haven't ridden it yet but the motor sounds and feels very tight . shifts into grar no problem . clutch feels good , brakes , shocks seem to be good but need to ride it to be sure , so far i have not found anything wrong with it machanically there is no doubt that it has been well taken care of so yup i think this was one deal that i couldn't pass up and i'm feeling pretty lucky it found me , heres some pics

350xBomb
03-10-2007, 08:02 PM
Its a good thing you picked er up...it would have been a shame to let something that nice pass...send the seat to the mosh's...

Gameover
03-10-2007, 08:03 PM
It sure is small compared to my other R lol

84honda200s
03-10-2007, 08:12 PM
man you got a hell of a deal. i wish i could find a deal like that around here. great pick up for sure.

Gameover
03-10-2007, 08:20 PM
Yeah i'm glad i decided to go take a look . Oh yeah i forgot i bought another trike from him while i was there . i haven't picked it up yet cause i only brought my small trailer . it's an 85 200X but he took a 185 motor and put it in the 200X frame . it is pretty clean to , not as clean as this one but the fenders are nice and the exhaust looks like new , has new i think he said ITP Wheels and hole shot tires i think that's what he said there brand new anyway . the only thing is he hasn't got the rear brake placement to work . doesn't matter since some gave me an 85 200X awhile back that has a good motor but the rest is trashed so i plan on putting the x motor back in it and keeping the 185 motor as a spare for the 185 suspension trike i have in case i need it down the road . i paid him $300 for that trike , new seat cover comes with it just need to put it on . so after today the count is 9 trikes . yikes !!

350xBomb
03-10-2007, 10:21 PM
damn...he let those go cheap...how does the 82 ride compared to the waterpumper? thats a pretty drastic increase in technology for only 3 years difference.

4cylinders
03-10-2007, 10:57 PM
hey, WOW, GREAT DEAL, that's what we all would like to find!!

Scooter77
03-10-2007, 11:43 PM
That thing is a trophy man!!!! Nice find and what a deal.

85ytz250n
03-10-2007, 11:46 PM
Sweet ride man and a sweet deal. Wouldnt the world be a better place if everyone took that kind of care of their trikes?

Barry

Yamahauler
03-11-2007, 12:37 AM
Holy **** you just robbed that guy!!

84honda200s
03-11-2007, 01:02 AM
geez man you hit a freaking gold mine !!!

traxxasx
03-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Did yours come with the tool kit? Mine did and got mine for 300. Also i will trade you my oem rims for yours ahaha, naw but i think the oem ones are worth alot??? I wouldent know nice score welcome to the 82R club with me and very few others lol.

Gameover
03-11-2007, 01:28 AM
damn...he let those go cheap...how does the 82 ride compared to the waterpumper? thats a pretty drastic increase in technology for only 3 years difference.

Yeah he let them go cheap and I don't know why and I sure didn't ask lol . I’ve got the title in his name and signed over to me so it's all good , if there hadn't been a title I would have been a little concerned about it

I just took it up to the fire roads close by , it rides good but very different from the water pumper for sure , its very small and has allot of power for it's size it almost put me on my butt a couple times at first and the fat tire feels a little strange as well , basically it is too small for me . im 6 ft and 210 lbs but it's fine since I don't plan on riding it much . I’ll fire it up every so often take it for a little spin and put back in storage , I’ll get the seat recovered do a detailed cleaning and that's it I think ,

I don't know it may seem like a waste to you guys but when I look at it and see no grease anywhere even the wheel hubs look like they just came out of the factory packaging , all the nuts and bolts look like they've never had a wrench taken to them and it won't stay that way if I’m riding it all the time. remember I’ve only been riding these for like 7 months and even worse I’ve been riding dirt bikes for 20 + years and I’ve had to throw all my dirt bike skills out the window when riding these beasts so I’m still very much at a learning stage but have ing a blast in the process

Gameover
03-11-2007, 05:09 AM
Did yours come with the tool kit? Mine did and got mine for 300. Also i will trade you my oem rims for yours ahaha, naw but i think the oem ones are worth alot??? I wouldent know nice score welcome to the 82R club with me and very few others lol.
Didn't even think about the tool box , nope it does not have it , i wonder what happned to it , i don't know about the tires on this one but it sure makes the front tire look huge ,i know it is big but with the smaller tires in bsck makes the front tire appear even larger , anyone know if those wheels will fit on the 86 R some one has drilled extra holes in them so maybe they will . i think they would look better on my 86 R and find some nice clean oem wheels for the 82

Dammit!
03-11-2007, 05:19 AM
Holy **** you just robbed that guy!!

No kidding. Call the cops. :lol:

Huffa
03-11-2007, 07:37 AM
Congradulations Gameover, you now have the nicest 82 R on the boards here and that's even with the ripped seat!

Guess the guy thought showing the minor flaws might hinder the sale :lol:

You going to keep the seat stock looking? I would.

Dirtcrasher
03-11-2007, 12:51 PM

Yeah, you got that right. What a huge difference the 81/82R is in conparisson to the 85 250R.

Those were the years that when you saw the new trike at the dealer your draw just dropped.:drool:

Gameover
03-11-2007, 03:15 PM
Congradulations Gameover, you now have the nicest 82 R on the boards here and that's even with the ripped seat!

Guess the guy thought showing the minor flaws might hinder the sale :lol:

You going to keep the seat stock looking? I would. Thanks Huffa

Yeah he must have been worried that i wouldn't show up or something . and when i got there i was doing my best to keep my composure figuring if i acted to anxcious he might wake up and change his mind .

Yeah i plan on keeping the seat as origanal looking as possible ,

what advice do you guys have for storing it for months at a time , ive never dealt with a metal tank before , should i fill the tank up with fuel and stor it or drain it completely or is there a better way to keep the rust out ?

team-red-rider
03-11-2007, 03:56 PM
fill it all the way up and add fuel stabilizer

Howdy
03-11-2007, 05:38 PM
fill it all the way up and add fuel stabilizer
I agree 100%!! If you don't have the gas tank full while storing the machine, then the gas tank will get some condensation inside and start rusting. Once it starts rusting your looking at other problems as well as a rusty tank.

I would also put a little Dry Gas in the tank as well ( not too much ). This will help absorb any moisture that may already be in there. ;)
Howdy

Gameover
03-15-2007, 10:05 AM
So I finely got back over to the guys house to pick up the X I bought along with the 250R . not as good of a deal as the 250R but still not to bad for $300. The new tires and wheels must have cost close to that , also has a new twist throttle and cable . new seat cover and new front wheel , new handle bars . new rear brake pads and he also gave me the 185 roller that this motor came form which has a nice tank , fenders with no cracks and seat that looks like new .the x runs good as it is but I'm putting the 200X motor I have in it this weekend then I think I’ll l try to sell it , I really have no room for it, as of now it is a couple doors down the street at my friends who's storing it for me temporarily