PDA

View Full Version : three to four conversions

jadleybray
03-10-2007, 03:24 AM
so a buddy of mine just picked up an 84 trike that has a four wheel conversion kit installed. i would like to see some pics of other oem conversions to compare and see if this is the real deal. he has no idea of how rare these are. the front plastics look suspiciously like an lt 250r front. also his stock headlight is welded onto the bracket that the bars now attach to. any info and pics would help. thanks in advance.

TimSr
03-10-2007, 09:07 AM
There is no such thing as an "OEM" conversion, although there were a couple of '86 model quads that were actually 3 wheeler conversions.

The conversion you are talking about is likely an Astro kit, as the plastics for their kits were made by Maier, and patterned after the LT250R plastics. While they look like LT plastics, they were custom fitted to the trike's mounting points, so they were not interchagegable with LT plastics other than the front "grill" piece.

Doing a search will show several threads with pictures and dicussions of conversions. Some are located in the Quad forum.

OZQUAD44
03-10-2007, 06:39 PM
Apparently those conversions never handled the best and I'm sure that the three wheeler would be more valuable as a Trike than as a FrankenQuad. I personally don't like them much and prefer to see the trike bought back from the ashes, so to speak.

Granted, they have a place in ATV history but they should just stay there. In a museum! There have been so many Quads built since the Demise of Trikes, there must be so many options out there to get into quadding without resorting to those (curious) kits

350xBomb
03-10-2007, 06:44 PM
I saw that trike on craigslist here for the longest time...from the pics it looks to be a pretty clean conversion. but Im with OZ. Would put her back on three wheels as she was intended.

TimSr
03-10-2007, 09:25 PM
Apparently those conversions never handled the best

She may not be enough firepower to hanlde the new 450's but she handles well enough to always bring home a plaque in places that still run a 2 stroke class!

http://home.neo.rr.com/timtim/SmithQZJul406.jpg