PDA

View Full Version : steel or aluminum

dizasterzrfun69
03-09-2007, 05:48 PM
Whats the big difference between steel rims and aluminum rims besides the fact that the steel is half the price of aluminum and weighs more? I am looking for some rims for my 85 R project and i have so much into it i'd hate to have to buy some brand new aluminum rims. I have ONE brand new 9x9 3+6 itp aluminum rim but cant find a match for it. Maybe someone has some rims for sale? IM thinking about buying the ams steel wheels.

dizasterzrfun69
03-09-2007, 05:53 PM
cost, weight, and looks are the only differences I know of. keep in mind steel will rust aluminum won't.

well cost would be in my favor if i go steel. And im not too worried about rust, i might get them powdercoated.

slothminx
03-09-2007, 06:01 PM
I wouldnt go for the steel wheels on a trike if I have the choice. They will get dinged up and start to rust and look nasty. Why not clean off the anodising from the stockers like mosh has done and polish them up ;).

dizasterzrfun69
03-09-2007, 06:07 PM
I wouldnt go for the steel wheels on a trike if I have the choice. They will get dinged up and start to rust and look nasty. Why not clean off the anodising from the stockers like mosh has done and polish them up ;).

because i dont have any stockers. I have some douglas rims that are bent a little bit and look VERY thin. Even if i had stockers i dont think i could do the 4 hours per rims :lol: POlishing is one of those things that i HATE trying to do and i think its a WASTE OF TIME. :D I wont lie, polished stuff looks dam good but it doesnt last long. If there is some sort of good clear coat out there to keep the shine then it might be worth it. I'll post a wanted ad in the classifieds and see what i can come up with.

slothminx
03-09-2007, 06:19 PM
Ok :), Personally I would pick up a set of douglas .190's and laquer them to keep the shiney, I ride alot of wetstuff and they would look nasty if I didnt.

P.s I dont think I have anything polished on my Z :lol:

cr480r
03-09-2007, 06:41 PM
The lighter the tire/wheel combo... the better. I would avoid steel on any performance machine.

chris200x
03-09-2007, 06:55 PM
Actually the aluminum rims I have seem to hold up better in the rocks than my steel ones. seems weird but I think the rolled aluminum edge is a bit stronger than the steel lip.

I would have to agree that cost and performance are the biggest diffrences.

TimSr
03-09-2007, 07:08 PM
because i dont have any stockers. I have some douglas rims that are bent a little bit and look VERY thin. Even if i had stockers i dont think i could do the 4 hours per rims :lol: POlishing is one of those things that i HATE trying to do and i think its a WASTE OF TIME. :D I wont lie, polished stuff looks dam good but it doesnt last long. If there is some sort of good clear coat out there to keep the shine then it might be worth it. I'll post a wanted ad in the classifieds and see what i can come up with.

The cheapest method of getting the best of both worlds is to look on ebay for some OEM 300EX/400EX, etc rims. They are aluminum, but much thicker than aftermarket, and with a rolled lip. They hold up a LOT better than aftermarket, and look nice too. The other nice thing is that they sell really cheap, because so many quad MX racers buy aftermarket beadlock rims and put them up for sale. Ive got a couple sets Im running. You will need the conical style lug nuts for these as well.

dizasterzrfun69
03-09-2007, 07:52 PM
The cheapest method of getting the best of both worlds is to look on ebay for some OEM 300EX/400EX, etc rims. They are aluminum, but much thicker than aftermarket, and with a rolled lip. They hold up a LOT better than aftermarket, and look nice too. The other nice thing is that they sell really cheap, because so many quad MX racers buy aftermarket beadlock rims and put them up for sale. Ive got a couple sets Im running. You will need the conical style lug nuts for these as well.

thats an idea. I just dont like the looks of the like 3/4 inch rolled lip on them. It would be a LOT cheaper though. Has anyone ever tried to polish a stock 400ex/300ex rim? IF so how did it turn out and how long did it take?

x.system
03-09-2007, 08:41 PM
thats an idea. I just dont like the looks of the like 3/4 inch rolled lip on them. It would be a LOT cheaper though. Has anyone ever tried to polish a stock 400ex/300ex rim? IF so how did it turn out and how long did it take?

I've done it to my trx fronts, takes a long time to get that clear off but they look good when done.

Rustytinhorn
03-09-2007, 08:43 PM
cost, weight, and looks are the only differences I know of. keep in mind steel will rust aluminum won't.

Ya, aluminum will pit and tarnish....lol