PDA

View Full Version : stuck needle 250R

Jim mac
03-08-2007, 01:17 AM
the needle is stuck on my newly gotten 250R, has anyone tried squirting carb cleaner into the fuel inlet to free it up? will that hurt anything? thanks Jim

traxxasx
03-08-2007, 03:46 AM
the needle is stuck on my newly gotten 250R, has anyone tried squirting carb cleaner into the fuel inlet to free it up? will that hurt anything? thanks Jim

Dude just screw the throttle cable off the top of the carb and free it. Im sure spraying carb cleaner wont loosen it and no it wont hurt your engine.

Jim mac
03-08-2007, 09:30 AM
Oops I should have said the needle and seat from the float. I turn the petcock on and gas comes dribbling out the overflow. Jim

chris200x
03-08-2007, 09:43 AM
Pull the whole carb and clean it. The valve maybe worn and needing replacement.

Liquid-Darkness
03-08-2007, 09:47 AM
Usually when that happens to me, the float valve needs replacing.

edog
03-08-2007, 09:48 AM
rebuild kit.

robb
03-09-2007, 01:13 AM
carb cleaner isnt good for your gaskets.

kando
03-10-2007, 01:15 AM
Fuel injector cleaner through the tank (if it runs) will loosen up sticky parts and clean off residue if it isn't too gummed up.

TimSr
03-10-2007, 09:16 AM
A stuck float needle cannot be fixed with any kind of cleaner. 95% of what carb cleaners are designed to remove is nothing but cosmetic varnish. 95% of problems caused by "unclean" carbs are caused by a grain or two of sand in a critical spot. Carb cleaner will not disolve a grain of sand. Take it apart, remove all jets and air screw and use the carb cleaner and that nifty little tube to blow through every orifice, and as a "rinse" so you are reinstalling clean parts.

Ive also seen one case where the float needle had worn a little bit and was frequently sticking cockeyed. If it doesnt move up and down easily and smoothly, replace it.

team-red-rider
03-10-2007, 09:59 AM
if you do decide to run cleaner through the tank use sea foam

max
03-10-2007, 11:39 AM
Times when mine has stuck, ive just tapped the bowl with a screwdriver. Alot of times this will free the valve if its stuck or seat the valve if it wont close. If that doesnt work the its tear down time!!

kando
03-11-2007, 03:36 AM
A stuck float needle can be fixed with any kind of cleaner. 95% of what carb cleaners are designed to remove is nothing but cosmetic varnish. 95% of any carbs I had apart wasn't sand in it but varnish, and if they did not get cleaned 100% the needle would stick or the hinge on the float would stick, some just once in a while. If you run injector cleaner through them with your gas it will eat up any remaining varnish and free them up, especially sticky hinges. Tim you should lighten up, your not always right. I was just trying to help him out like everyone else here.