PDA

View Full Version : polishing tripple tree

johnny's X
03-07-2007, 12:56 PM
Has anyone on here ever polished a set of tripple trees? I took mine to a polisher and her told me that they cant be done.

ccdhowell
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I polished my upper triple. I stripped all the paint, cleaned it up with flitz, polished it with Mequire's mag wheel polish then put a coat of wax on it. Hoping the wax helps it stay shiny for a while longer. Chris

Mr. Clean
03-07-2007, 01:15 PM
Has anyone on here ever polished a set of tripple trees? I took mine to a polisher and her told me that they cant be done.

Did he give you a reason? It's aluminum you should be able polish it.

What about these?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/POLISHED-ALUM-TRIPLE-TREES-1985-86-HONDA-ATC250R-EC-250_W0QQitemZ330094654762QQihZ014QQcategoryZ43974Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

brrcuda
03-07-2007, 01:55 PM
Some triples have a clear coat on them. That might be why they said that? The clear needs to be sanded off first.

Mr. Clean
03-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Some triples have a clear coat on them. That might be why they said that? The clear needs to be sanded off first.

Or sandblasted. in order to get out the rough castings you would have to sand anyway. At least that is how I do it.

Bryan Raffa
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I glass bead blast everything polish. If its magneisium it has to be cleared right after of it will haze in just a few hours

kb200x
03-07-2007, 03:49 PM
The triples aren't made of Mag are they? OH! thanks alot Raffa! Ever since you posted the polishing thread I have been obsessed with polishing everything. Side covers, motor mounts, thumb trottle cover, axle, The forks are coming off tonight I may as well knock out the triple tree too. :lol: My arms and hands are toast! I agree Glass bead is the only way to go :beer

dancole33
03-07-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi Guys! I'm new to the computer world and am thrilled to find this site! I've been into 3wheelers since my first 200x at 13, 33 now. I have been just looking at all the posts although I did start one thread. I also have gone to the chat page but haven't figured out what to do next. I keep going out on one of my tri-zs and ripping it up. The sled trails are perfect here in N.H. and this trike is running mint. I'm interested in trikefest, is it a commercial event or is it more like a big camping place that people go to and ride? organized races? social event? swap meet etc.

dancole33
03-07-2007, 04:11 PM
Also I don't do much polishing on my rigs but I do go out and eat up mxzs' on the snowmobile trails.

kb200x
03-07-2007, 04:27 PM
Hi Guys! I'm new to the computer world and am thrilled to find this site! I've been into 3wheelers since my first 200x at 13, 33 now. I have been just looking at all the posts although I did start one thread. I also have gone to the chat page but haven't figured out what to do next. I keep going out on one of my tri-zs and ripping it up. The sled trails are perfect here in N.H. and this trike is running mint. I'm interested in trikefest, is it a commercial event or is it more like a big camping place that people go to and ride? organized races? social event? swap meet etc.

:welcome: To 3ww

You may want to post this as a new thread so more people will see it. Trikefest is pretty much everything you just said. Look on the front page for the info on trikefest. Hope to see you there!

johnny's X
03-07-2007, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I guess I will sand them and try to polish the trees myself. I going to look for a polish wheel tonight for my bench grinder. The dremel takes a long time.

chris200x
03-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I glass bead blast everything polish. If its magneisium it has to be cleared right after of it will haze in just a few hours

Hey Mr Raffa, Those are tri Z parts I reckon? I was planning on doing my triples and forks up all nice but was wondering if a bench grinder (with wire wheel and a buffing pad on either side) will do the trick. Mine have some sort of ugly black automotive type paint on them now.

Here's the best pics I have at the moment. ;)

Bryan Raffa
03-07-2007, 10:18 PM
its gonna be real hard to do the tripples on a bench grinder.. the one I use has a 3" shaft that helps get the hard to reach spots.. the forks should be no problem

chris200x
03-07-2007, 10:43 PM
Sheesh.. you've got quite the setup there. :beer I should be able to get into the tight spots with the dremel I should think. I was just wondering if they were that magnesium someone mentioned. Either way that black has to go. :rolleyes:

Bryan Raffa
03-07-2007, 10:50 PM
the forks and tripples are alum. No magnesium on the tri z,,, my 490 had a magne. clutch cover.

johnny's X
03-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Are the trees on a x made form aluminum. Bryan were did you get your buffing pads. What type are they and how do i know what ones to get

Bryan Raffa
03-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Johnny I get everything here..http://www.caswellplating.com/nsindex.htm

Look under buffing/polishing..

johnny's X
03-08-2007, 12:33 PM
were did you get your bench grinder with the long shaft?

johnny's X
03-08-2007, 12:40 PM
never mind i found were to get one